• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
So here's a question: How do we get compensated without taking two first rounders? If the decision is made to deal him just to get him gone, what do we take that doesn't include two first round picks?

A first next year and tons of 2nd and 3rd rounders for a couple years after? I have no clue. Either way, he has to sign the Tag contract to be able to be traded. I imagine he holds us hostage as long as he can for that. But once done, how fast do we turn around to get him outta here and what do we take to hasten the departure?
I don't think the Ravens would accept any trade offer for less than two first rounders during 2023. In 2024, maybe, but not today.
They'll just reject and let it play out.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Do we think that Indy, Houston, and Atlanta are the only teams even remotely considering Lamar?
Today, I think its Colts and Falcons. Pretty much only two that make sense. Texans have #2 overall pick and can basically get a cheaper rookie QB who could easily be as good.

Draft night might settle a lot of this. Could be a team we're not expecting, like Titans, Patriots, etc. gets in there on draft night or after. Likely after in my opinion.
But there's going to be less teams interested in May than there are today. And that means the player becomes more valuable in terms of draft compensation.

For me, if its not Atlanta or Indy, pretty much every other team has a) weaker draft capital for 2023, which means they'll need to give up more in terms of quantity of draft picks, and b) the further down the list you get, the more likely it is that the offers they make aren't materially better than the Ravens offer, meaning we'll just match.

I'm a little biased in this regard, but I also think the price tag for AFC teams is significantly higher than for NFC teams (in terms of draft compensation). That may not really be true, but if I were a GM, I'm trading him somewhere where I'm only playing him every 3-4 years, at most.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
No Lamar for the Colts. Irsay says he doesn't believe in fully guaranteed contracts. Have to think this is how the other owners feel and the collusion conspiracy comes into play.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
No Lamar for the Colts. Irsay says he doesn't believe in fully guaranteed contracts. Have to think this is how the other owners feel and the collusion conspiracy comes into play.

Down to Atlanta only it seems. Expecting legitimately no news until draft week and maybe nothing there either

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Today, I think its Colts and Falcons. Pretty much only two that make sense. Texans have #2 overall pick and can basically get a cheaper rookie QB who could easily be as good.

Draft night might settle a lot of this. Could be a team we're not expecting, like Titans, Patriots, etc. gets in there on draft night or after. Likely after in my opinion.
But there's going to be less teams interested in May than there are today. And that means the player becomes more valuable in terms of draft compensation.

For me, if its not Atlanta or Indy, pretty much every other team has a) weaker draft capital for 2023, which means they'll need to give up more in terms of quantity of draft picks, and b) the further down the list you get, the more likely it is that the offers they make aren't materially better than the Ravens offer, meaning we'll just match.

I'm a little biased in this regard, but I also think the price tag for AFC teams is significantly higher than for NFC teams (in terms of draft compensation). That may not really be true, but if I were a GM, I'm trading him somewhere where I'm only playing him every 3-4 years, at most.
If Lamar is traded (I hope not) I definitely don't want the Ravens to face him on a regular basis. He'd be out for blood and I wouldn't blame him.

JAAM

Hall of Famer

I thought there was speculation that Lamar doesn’t even want a guaranteed contract?

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor

Irsay is simply trying to drive down.like his fucking Daddy would do, Lamar's value and try to pick him up on the cheap.

Lamar, to save face will accept a deal with the Colts for ONE DOLLAR More than the Ravens offered him and will

hire the Mayflower company to move him and his mother to Indy .

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I thought there was speculation that Lamar doesn’t even want a guaranteed contract?
Nobody knows. And it also doesn't really matter. All we know is whatever price he has, a) everybody knows what it is and b) nobody is willing to pay it.

Until somebody meets the price or he lowers the price, nothing is going to change.

CharlieF

Practice Squad
Think about this- when Lamar won his MVP it was before these dudes were playing- Mahomes, Herbert, Burrow, and Lawrence. Allen was a rookie. So, Jackson has been passed by these guys, owns 1 playoff victory, and hasn't finished the last two seasons. The Browns will only set the market for desperation and stupidity. Deshaun Watson may not even be top 10 QB. At any rate, no QB should make more than Mahomes.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
If you would have asked me a couple of years ago that Lamar would turn into a pariah that no NFL team wants I would have said you were batshit crazy.
Maybe Antonio Brown rubbed off on Lamar.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Think about this- when Lamar won his MVP it was before these dudes were playing- Mahomes, Herbert, Burrow, and Lawrence. Allen was a rookie. So, Jackson has been passed by these guys, owns 1 playoff victory, and hasn't finished the last two seasons. The Browns will only set the market for desperation and stupidity. Deshaun Watson may not even be top 10 QB. At any rate, no QB should make more than Mahomes.
Mahomes was drafted a year before Lamar and Josh Allen was in the same draft class as Lamar

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Nobody knows. And it also doesn't really matter. All we know is whatever price he has, a) everybody knows what it is and b) nobody is willing to pay it.

Until somebody meets the price or he lowers the price, nothing is going to change.
It’d be nice if Lamar actually came out and stated exactly what he’s looking for. Or someone that tried to negotiate with him leaked his asking price. It’s almost as if no one can get ahold of the guy

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
It’d be nice if Lamar actually came out and stated exactly what he’s looking for. Or someone that tried to negotiate with him leaked his asking price. It’s almost as if no one can get ahold of the guy
Why would he?then everyone would know he's batshit crazy.

JAAM

Hall of Famer