• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly - Jags edition

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
It’s all good. I was referring to keyboard warriors. At least on the job, it is to my face, which I actually respect more. I guess in a strange, rambling way which I should have thought out more before posting, I am actually defending Lamar. I didn’t really think the original post warranted his very strong reply and I am not going to defend it but in a strange way, I kind of feel more connected to Lamar knowing he is human too. Honestly, if someone posts something where they personally insult me over an opinion I have that they don’t share, I usually warn them that I didn’t appreciate the insult first before I go straight to saying something bad about their mother…. lol!!!!
I don’t care that Lamar said it, I think it’s not smart, but the whole “YOU GET PAID MILLIONS WHAT WOULD YOUR EMPLOYER THINK OF THIS??” Angle is so weak lol. Who gives a fuck what they think.

I have a strong dislike for average ass people sucking off their corporate overlords. Like it’s one of the few things that actually gets under my skin. And I spiraled quickly when those rants got going lol

redrum52

Hall of Famer
I don’t care that Lamar said it, I think it’s not smart, but the whole “YOU GET PAID MILLIONS WHAT WOULD YOUR EMPLOYER THINK OF THIS??” Angle is so weak lol. Who gives a fuck what they think.

I have a strong dislike for average ass people sucking off their corporate overlords. Like it’s one of the few things that actually gets under my skin. And I spiraled quickly when those rants got going lol
It's so damn stupid. These same people will say regular people shouldn't be silenced. Then say the millionaire athletes should shut up, but the billionaire owners can also speak their mind... hmm

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
I somewhat agree, but depends on the player.

Like if the player consistently dropping passes or suffering breakdowns in coverage isn't a Lamar Jackson-level player, then they'll replace the player first. Like if the decision is between cutting (or in this case, not re-signing) Peters or moving on from MacDonald, they'll choose to keep MacDonald in a heartbeat, as well they should. There's only a handful of players on any team that the team is actually married to, and pretty much only the QB or some super rare all-time great, like a Ray Lewis, is going to win a power struggle with a coach. Everybody else, largely, is replaceable, and most franchises will look to make personnel changes much quicker than coaching one's.

As for coaches/FO, in many organizations, they're largely tied to each other. Its not a certainty, but in many cases, they're linked. Meaning when the HC goes, the GM usually is either gone too or soon to be gone. Firing assistant coaches or even coordinators can often be considered the "easy choice", though there also aren't a large number of examples of those firings turning into great things long term. They're mostly just scapegoating certain positional group coaches or play callers for larger issues within the organization.

I totally disagree with the last paragraph. In some cases that'll work, but in the NFL in particular, I think history would tell you that a TON of franchises go through a TON of GMs, HC's, coordinators, etc. over time, and none of the new guys make a material impact on the organization's ability to win games, transform culture, etc. I'm sympathetic towards a change being needed in some cases, but there's a reason why there's such a huge amount of turnover among HC, GM, etc. on an annual basis, and wise there's just such a huge quantity of organizations that perpetually fail over and over and over again.
They were all just options and I think we mostly agree. I think the last one is the worst one too. I think it's also pretty easy to tell if a player is just not cutting it and in that case you find another option with a new player or two. But if it is a whole unit with errors and on both sides of the ball, coaches are to blame, imo.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
They were all just options and I think we mostly agree. I think the last one is the worst one too. I think it's also pretty easy to tell if a player is just not cutting it and in that case you find another option with a new player or two. But if it is a whole unit with errors and on both sides of the ball, coaches are to blame, imo.
Well but its not a whole unit with errors on both sides of the ball. Plenty of individual players played really well on Sunday. Just like most weeks. Most weeks there will be individuals with great games and there will be individuals with bad games.

Regardless, if coaching is always the problem for total team failures, then somebody will have to reconcile for me how many organizations go through literally like dozens of coaches over and over again and get the same bad results.

Its like blaming coaching for fumbling issues. No, genius, its not a coaching issue. No coach on the planet teaches their players how to fumble or how to hold the ball incorrectly. They're teaching correct techniques for that at pee-wee practice right now to a bunch of 9 year olds.

It's called being sloppy. You see it everyday in your own jobs. Football ain't different. You don't produce the same output day in and day out. Neither do your co-workers, or your managers.

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler
Same old same old critique on Roman passing concept , but maybe it’s to clear space for a Lamar scramble
That's letting Roman off the hook because so may passing plays look like this, just lacking basic fundamentals.

A scramble shouldn't be the plan on 3rd & 10 anyway.

If we had a real passing game, drawing defenders eyes away from Lamar we'd start to see natural scramble lanes develop, the kind of thing that Allen etc gets and Lamar would start scrambling for huge gains again.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
That is frustrating to see brother, but thanks for posting it, as it confirms what I thought.

The frustrating thing is this problem was always with Greg Roman. It’s not new. It was an issue with him at the niners and bills. Harbs should know this, yet he keeps giving us the “we’re working on it” speech. Greg been trying to “work on it” for 10 years. He ain’t gonna change man.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Yeah I'm still mad over this game. We should have blown this team out.
I get mad during and right after the game. I'm past the point in life of being pissed off for too long. I scream at the set for a little bit, my dogs run upstairs and then it's over. Rinse, repeat. :mad:

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
The frustrating thing is this problem was always with Greg Roman. It’s not new. It was an issue with him at the niners and bills. Harbs should know this, yet he keeps giving us the “we’re working on it” speech. Greg been trying to “work on it” for 10 years. He ain’t gonna change man.

What's frustrating is that it's a "track record" thing and it seems like its endorsed blindly. I wouldn't have as much problem with it if our TOP was the same as 2019 and we were sealing drives with TD's instead of FG's, giving turnovers, or loss of down and possession. In theory, calling for the ball at the last sec or two contributes to TOP which is good when scoring TD's, but if you're not and you have issues on closing games out on DEF, you're hurting yourself by default in your scheme by taking away time to comeback when shit hits the fan.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Potential hot take, but I really think there are quite a few OCs that could make a decent passing game out of Lamar Jackson throwing to DeMarcus Robinson, Duv, Andrews, Likely, and solid receiving backs. At least they would find ways to get the ball to Duv in space rather than just saying they gotta use him more before every game.