• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2023 DB Thread

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
He’s a fun player but I don’t know how you could ever make that pick after selecting Hamilton just last year. Not exact matches as players but would seemingly play very similar roles
I think we could definitely find a way to give him some of Hamiltons role and have Hamilton play a lot of Chuck's role?

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Hamilton is likely better in his current than he would be in chucks role, and he’d likely be better than branch as well. Feels like a multi position downgrade by doing that
But then who cares that we drafted Hamilton as a safety. Make him a full time nickel with some positional flexibility in MM's defense.

That would mean Marlon and Hamilton have 2 of the 3 starting CB spots filled. As of right this second Stephens/JAD fills your last spot which you'd look to upgrade this draft.

But then maybe we should be looking at strong safeties in this draft and also FA?

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I watch Bama religiously and can't recall ever seeing anything special from him. Run of the mill kind.
He had the least missed tackles of any college football player that has some min snaps. Also is an amazing Zone guy. Gonna be horrible in press man. Plays in the slot. He's a 1st to second rounder but that's what you're getting from him

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Emmanuel Forbes is starting to get your standard late in the process rise. Glad people are finally seeing it with him. I have him in my 1-2 bucket but I debated strongly about giving him a firm 1. Just hard to bypass a guy with those playmaking skills despite the rail thin frame.

If he wasn’t that thin, people would be talking about him in the same conversation as gonzalez

rossihunter2

Staff Member
He’s a fun player but I don’t know how you could ever make that pick after selecting Hamilton just last year. Not exact matches as players but would seemingly play very similar roles

If you take branch, you’re telling marlon and Hamilton they’re not playing the slot which means you instantly lose some of the versatility and multiplicity having both those guys in your secondary gives you

Because you’re not drafting branch to be a pure safety and you’re not taking Hamilton or Marcus Williams off the field in nickel or dime…

rossihunter2

Staff Member
But then who cares that we drafted Hamilton as a safety. Make him a full time nickel with some positional flexibility in MM's defense.

That would mean Marlon and Hamilton have 2 of the 3 starting CB spots filled. As of right this second Stephens/JAD fills your last spot which you'd look to upgrade this draft.

But then maybe we should be looking at strong safeties in this draft and also FA?

Because we’ve got guys who can come on and off the field in nickel and dime and fill that 2nd split safety role

In base personnel, hamilton’s gonna be the 2nd safety

In nickel and dime it’ll be matchup dependent but you’re probably still looking to put 3 safeties on the field

Simba

Staff Member
If you take branch, you’re telling marlon and Hamilton they’re not playing the slot which means you instantly lose some of the versatility and multiplicity having both those guys in your secondary gives you

Because you’re not drafting branch to be a pure safety and you’re not taking Hamilton or Marcus Williams off the field in nickel or dime…
Exactly. Think you get much more value out of using Stone or (maybe) Amos and letting Hamilton move into the slot in certain situations.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
If I’m not taking Forbes at 22 then I can’t justify Kancey at 22 either… or Jordan Addison
I disagree there. Jordan Addison can avoid contact, calijah kancey is a different animal entirely because he’s not thin or small, just undersized by nfl DT standards, Emmanuel Forbes will be trying to tackle players on and island that he has a 70 lb disadvantage against.

And I am not by any means trying to knock Forbes, because I really do love his game, but man I’m not tryna see that dude be the last line of defense against a goddamn Najee Harris on a wheel route

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
over under of DB's in the 1st round is 5 and I'm gong with the over. I think Forbes could sneak into the 1st round along with the ones below...

Witherspoon
Gonzalez
Banks
Porter
Branch