• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2023 DB Thread

Simba

Staff Member
I just got that feeling that Banks will go before JPJ despite the media definitely not seeing that way. I think teams are not gonna love JPJ's tape and athleticism more than Banks' tape and athleticsim
I think Banks answered a lot of questions in his pre-draft process. The tape showed some stiffness but the workouts suggested otherwise.

Me personally... I wouldn't be surprised if they go within a few picks of each other, regardless of who goes first.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I just got that feeling that Banks will go before JPJ despite the media definitely not seeing that way. I think teams are not gonna love JPJ's tape and athleticism more than Banks' tape and athleticsim

I think they’re pretty similar prospects tbh

JPJ has absurd rare length
Banks has great testing

Generally when looking at stiffer press corners im gonna bank on the speed and explosion but I don’t feel that strongly either way about them

If either of them are ravens im cool with it - not my first choice but no issues with that pick

rossihunter2

Staff Member
@rossihunter2 can we please get the full list of your CB rankings?

All 25 graded as ranked right now:

"TOP 10"
1: Christian Gonzalez

1st Round Grade
2: Devon Witherspoon
3: Cam Smith
4: Emmanuel Forbes

Late 1st
5: Brian Branch (nickel)
6: Deonte Banks
7: Joey Porter Jr

Early 2nd
8: Tyrique Stevenson

2nd Round Grade
9: Kelee Ringo

Late 2nd
10: Clark Phillips III (nickel)
11: Darius Rush
12: DJ Turner

Early 3rd
13: Julius Brents
14: Terell Smith
15: Kyu Blu Kelly

3rd Round Grade
16: Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson (nickel)
17: Jartavius Martin (DB)
18: Garrett Williams (nickel)
19: Kei'Trel Clark (nickel)

Early 4th
20: Jakorian Bennett
21: Rejzohn Wright

4th Round Grade
22: Cory Trice Jr
23: Riley Moss
24: Cameron Mitchell

Late 4th/Early 5th
25: Eli Ricks

that's everyone i've watched and graded - im sure there are lots more guys worthy of my attention given that ive not graded any CBs ive watched lower than a late 4th rounder right now - think mekhi blackmon is one of the only guys ive got on deck right now at CB still to go as a priority

UPennChem

Hall of Famer

"TOP 10"

1st Round Grade

Late 1st

Early 2nd

2nd Round Grade

Late 2nd

Early 3rd

3rd Round Grade

Early 4th

4th Round Grade

Late 4th/Early 5th

that's everyone i've watched and graded - im sure there are lots more guys worthy of my attention given that ive not graded any CBs ive watched lower than a late 4th rounder right now - think mekhi blackmon is one of the only guys ive got on deck right now at CB still to go as a priority
My list would be very similar. Only things I really would even mention are

I still have Witherspoon number 1.
I'm very low on Turner and Ringo
I'm probably slightlyyyy higher on Ricks.

But this is in amazing agreement with my eye!

I love Tyrique, super high on him

Simba

Staff Member

"TOP 10"

1st Round Grade

Late 1st

Early 2nd

2nd Round Grade

Late 2nd

Early 3rd

3rd Round Grade

Early 4th

4th Round Grade

Late 4th/Early 5th

I like seeing someone else that actually knows who Cam Mitchell is. Was a more recent find for me. I placed a similar grade on him, although if I were to break it down like this, he'd probably be in the teens for me. Not as high on some of the guys mentioned above as you are.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
My list would be very similar. Only things I really would even mention are

I still have Witherspoon number 1.
I'm very low on Turner and Ringo
I'm probably slightlyyyy higher on Ricks.

But this is in amazing agreement with my eye!

I love Tyrique, super high on him

i think the thing with Ringo is he's raw - but guys that big shouldnt be able to move the way he does and while he's got technical things to learn and develop and clean up, he's got the highest ceiling of any of the potential press CBs in the class - he's also one of the youngest prospects in the class (think he and christian gonzalez are the 2 youngest CBs in the group)

it's possible i move darius rush up to match ringo's grade
think of those 2 as somewhat similar type prospects

DJ Turner has some play-strength issues but i love the way he moves and how explosive and fluid he is in coverage - he's gonna get beat up in the run game and he can be posted on in contested situations and struggles to disrupt in press but everything else is smooth - if this dude was 10lbs heavier (and played like it), he'd be a no doubt 1st rounder

eli ricks i really like on some reps - like some of his film is legit press corner teach tape, but then some of it is a disaster and the testing and injury concerns are a real frustration too

got no issues with anyone who wants to bet on witherspoon over gonzalez - i just think that gonzalez is the guy with the rare movement skills

big fan of tyrique also

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I like seeing someone else that actually knows who Cam Mitchell is. Was a more recent find for me. I placed a similar grade on him, although if I were to break it down like this, he'd probably be in the teens for me. Not as high on some of the guys mentioned above as you are.

any that stand out to you that you're not as high on?

mitchell was a guy ive come to a little later in the process (saw dane brugler talking about him) - i like that he plays physically but he plays too physically and im not sure with his length, how well that translates - and he's not a super fluid guy like some of the other "smaller" corners

he strikes me as a running down nickel type guy

Simba

Staff Member
any that stand out to you that you're not as high on?

mitchell was a guy ive come to a little later in the process (saw dane brugler talking about him) - i like that he plays physically but he plays too physically and im not sure with his length, how well that translates - and he's not a super fluid guy like some of the other "smaller" corners

he strikes me as a running down nickel type guy
Kyu Blu Kelly is the big one for me from your list. I think he's okay but I've seen him out of phase and unable to recover far too many times in my look at him. I question some of the mental makeup there personally. Just feels like a guy that lapses far too often for my liking.

Otherwise, I'd have Terell Smith, Quan Martin (looking more as a S/hybrid type of guy admittedly), Garrett Williams, Rezjohn Wright, and Riley Moss lower. Still early-ish day 3 so nothing too drastic, but just not as high as you.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
i think the thing with Ringo is he's raw - but guys that big shouldnt be able to move the way he does and while he's got technical things to learn and develop and clean up, he's got the highest ceiling of any of the potential press CBs in the class - he's also one of the youngest prospects in the class (think he and christian gonzalez are the 2 youngest CBs in the group)

it's possible i move darius rush up to match ringo's grade
think of those 2 as somewhat similar type prospects

DJ Turner has some play-strength issues but i love the way he moves and how explosive and fluid he is in coverage - he's gonna get beat up in the run game and he can be posted on in contested situations and struggles to disrupt in press but everything else is smooth - if this dude was 10lbs heavier (and played like it), he'd be a no doubt 1st rounder

eli ricks i really like on some reps - like some of his film is legit press corner teach tape, but then some of it is a disaster and the testing and injury concerns are a real frustration too

got no issues with anyone who wants to bet on witherspoon over gonzalez - i just think that gonzalez is the guy with the rare movement skills

big fan of tyrique also
I think I know what I'm getting with Ringo and could get behind it. You nailed that he's an athlete with traits and flashes and he's an upside pick.

Something about Turner feels like QJ to me. I just see bust potential in him. He's fast af but I really wouldn't draft him prior to RD4. He won't be there in RD4

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Kyu Blu Kelly is the big one for me from your list. I think he's okay but I've seen him out of phase and unable to recover far too many times in my look at him. I question some of the mental makeup there personally. Just feels like a guy that lapses far too often for my liking.

Otherwise, I'd have Terell Smith, Quan Martin (looking more as a S/hybrid type of guy admittedly), Garrett Williams, Rezjohn Wright, and Riley Moss lower. Still early-ish day 3 so nothing too drastic, but just not as high as you.

terell smith was a guy ive had lower and i took another look at him recently and adjusted him upwards pretty significantly - think i overrated some of the finer technical issues in his transitions (that are so fixable) and wrote them off as stiffness which on later viewings im not sure he's as stiff as i first thought

williams is someone who i have graded there but with the understanding that he'll go later than that because of injuries

you're not the first person who's thought i was too high on KBK - maybe ill have to go and have a proper reevaluation of him

I think Quan is definitely more of a DB than a straight up CB but i didnt want to call him a safety either - feel like he and Brian Branch should have their own Star/DB ranking in the same way that in the past ive had guys ranked offensively as ATH - but i really like Quan a lot regardless of what position he's drafted as - think he's a developmental DB with early sub-package value and special traits to become a genuine difference maker - think he's the kind of guy that id have pounded the table for if we hadnt got hamilton and Pepe in 2022- reminds me a little of jevon holland

rejzohn and riley are both guys with traits on day 3 - they feel like the kinds of guys to me, who you should be taking bets on in the early part of day 3 with those traits - moss with the size and length and good CoD and who tested like a freak - wright with some athletic questions (unanswered because of some injuries at combine and pro day) but the frame and length and physicality required of a press corner - both guys who i have no problem if you, or anyone, think of them lower on the board but to me feel like traitsy guys you should be taking especially if they fit your scheme

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think I know what I'm getting with Ringo and could get behind it. You nailed that he's an athlete with traits and flashes and he's an upside pick.

Something about Turner feels like QJ to me. I just see bust potential in him. He's fast af but I really wouldn't draft him prior to RD4. He won't be there in RD4

i see how you would relate those 2 prospects together a little despite their different frames
both extremely fluid athletes with dominant movement skills and flashy reps but also who disappear at the catch-point sometimes and with potentially brutally fatal flaws...

but guys with those kinds of traits go high - they dont go day 1 (and QJ still might) but they go high

Ringo, you're putting your faith in your DB coaches but i think there's a bunch of DB coaches who'd be begging their GMs to draft him

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
i see how you would relate those 2 prospects together a little despite their different frames
both extremely fluid athletes with dominant movement skills and flashy reps but also who disappear at the catch-point sometimes and with potentially brutally fatal flaws...

but guys with those kinds of traits go high - they dont go day 1 (and QJ still might) but they go high

Ringo, you're putting your faith in your DB coaches but i think there's a bunch of DB coaches who'd be begging their GMs to draft him
Totally agree they'll both go high. I just hope not to us lol