• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2023 QB Thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I imagine we're not going to be very invested in this class unless something crazy happens this offseason.

But it looks like a significantly better QB class vs 2022 (albeit not that difficult).

And as always, the more QBs that go ahead of us, the more likely a high quality talent at another position falls.

Bryce Young
CJ Stroud
Will Levis
Anthony Richardson

all guys I've been intrigued by in some ways - only the first 2 that I'm confident (via osmosis) that are definitely going ahead of our pick at this point.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Gotta say 35 posts in the WR thread zero in this one lol. Jeez we don't even know Lamar's status. We may need this!! I know Brcye Young and Stroud are head and shoulders above the rest blah blah blah but some QB's I really like are Frank Harris (UTSA), Mike Penix (Wash St) and Cam Rising (Utah). I like these guys cuz they fit the GRo offense. Penix I actually forgot about until I watched a segment on the Heisman and they had him on the outside looking in. I will never forget that 4th qtr against Penn St awile back. It was incredible and I've been on his bandwagon ever since. Harris has a pretty throw and can move around the pocket well and he defintely got fucked by the dropsies last night but I really liked his game. I can't say enough about Rising. He just has the it factor and I will watch them play Penn St later in the year. I have circled that mf.

Reactions: cdp

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
If by some chance we need a Lamar replacement, I like Tanner McKee. Seems like a talented gunslinger held back by the talent around him. His play reminds me a bit of Herbert.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Another QB to look at in a worst case situation in our offseason is Anthony Richardson, the Florida Gators QB. Another duel threat, though one built more like Justin Fields and Josh Allen. An absolute cannon for an arm and runs like a power back. One big thing is that he does keep his eyes downfield and doesn't panic run.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Another QB to look at in a worst case situation in our offseason is Anthony Richardson, the Florida Gators QB. Another duel threat, though one built more like Justin Fields and Josh Allen. An absolute cannon for an arm and runs like a power back. One big thing is that he does keep his eyes downfield and doesn't panic run.

he's also, on first look, a major work in progress

really simple RPO-based offence, very 1-read and bail type guy right now, at his best off-script and when they move the pocket

he's the kind of guy i'd love to have behind an established vet as he develops but without staking the entire franchise on him - feels like a guy i'd love to take in the 2nd or 3rd round but who will probably invariably get taken in the 1st and immediately have a ton of pressure on him

certainly not the kind of guy you could plug into a lamar-less offence and expect to be immediately effective

has some similarities as a passer to zach wilson i think - flashy plays with amazing off-script downfield throws - he's a better runner than wilson though which gives him some leeway and time to help him develop i guess

no idea what the rest of the class looks like yet - but he's someone i'd love to bring in at value on day 2 to be a backup for lamar and potential guy you can flip for picks in year 3 or whatever while also getting high upside backup play - but my guess is he goes day 1 based on traits and QB inflation

JO_75

Hall of Famer

I feel like he would be someone to take in the third if he is still there, we definitely need a better backup than Huntley. Maybe take him in the second if Lamar is only on the Franchise Tag and there is no extension. If we happen to trade Lamar for a bunch of picks, I can see us drafting him to become our new QB. I think he may end up in the first, so probably unlikely we have a shot to get him in the second or third, but can see us being interested in him if things go south with Lamar.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I feel like he would be someone to take in the third if he is still there, we definitely need a better backup than Huntley. Maybe take him in the second if Lamar is only on the Franchise Tag and there is no extension. If we happen to trade Lamar for a bunch of picks, I can see us drafting him to become our new QB. I think he may end up in the first, so probably unlikely we have a shot to get him in the second or third, but can see us being interested in him if things go south with Lamar.

just FYI - we dont have a 2nd rounder

Tuff365

Practice Squad
We need a good round firm quarterback to take over this franchise. Lamar been intertaing but it's time to get a real plan. It's just not working anymore.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Damn y’all, I just checked out Anthony Richardson, and he looks like he could be the actual “next Lamar” this dude looks like he’s moving at a different speed than everyone else, he slips right by tacklers so easily, and hes got a good looking deep ball

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Damn y’all, I just checked out Anthony Richardson, and he looks like he could be the actual “next Lamar” this dude looks like he’s moving at a different speed than everyone else, he slips right by tacklers so easily, and hes got a good looking deep ball

he's nowhere near as advanced as lamar was though as a passer - like completely different stratosphere...

he's in a very basic RPO offence
a bunch of 1 read and bail type stuff too
lots of his best stuff (especially deep) is when they move the pocket for him

but the running ability is really exciting - there's a bunch of tools to work with but he looks like a project to me

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
There is no 'actual' next Lamar like there was never an 'actual' next Jordan. Period.