• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2023 QB Thread

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
A mock draft has him connected to the Ravens. I like what I see.

100%. I'm in on this but one thing I noticed was they sure was behind in most of these games. Showed great arm strength and mobility but it did seem every throw here was to the primary receiver but man I tell you the talent is there.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
You guys have Stroud as QB1 or QB2?

I think he’s QB1 over young

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
If we trade Lamar or someone else signs him off the non-exclusive tag, we're Stroud SZN? Or pass on QB this year?

Simba

Staff Member
If we trade Lamar or someone else signs him off the non-exclusive tag, we're Stroud SZN? Or pass on QB this year?
Feel like it would be a slap in the face to the veterans on the team, but I'd wait it out until next season. I like some aspects of Young and Stroud in particular, but feel like both still have a lot of question marks for me to take that shot this year. No guarantee 2024 is any better, but it looks like it on paper right now at least.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Feel like it would be a slap in the face to the veterans on the team, but I'd wait it out until next season. I like some aspects of Young and Stroud in particular, but feel like both still have a lot of question marks for me to take that shot this year. No guarantee 2024 is any better, but it looks like it on paper right now at least.
Problem is if you're going to bring in Jimmy G on a 1 year deal you're still going to have to pay him a LOT of money. So much so, you'd rather just have Lamar.

Or you're gonna role with Huntley or AB and just tank? I do not see this team doing that. I'd really see them taking Stroud.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i mean i guess so
depends what pick we'd get obviously...

would be the highest pick we expect to get for a long time though i imagine, so feels like the first one would have to be on a rookie QB in that case

if they feel like they somehow have a shot at someone they have huge preseason grade on in 2024 then maybe they do that... but got to think this would be the best opportunity to get a guy with a big grade in the near future

and harbs has admitted he's not here for a rebuild - so if they're trading lamar, then they must have some sort of contingency in their heads

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Problem is if you're going to bring in Jimmy G on a 1 year deal you're still going to have to pay him a LOT of money. So much so, you'd rather just have Lamar.

Or you're gonna role with Huntley or AB and just tank? I do not see this team doing that. I'd really see them taking Stroud.

there's also too much talent around on this roster that without Lamar it probably wins too many games to actively be tanking

Simba

Staff Member

I don’t know that you tank to that extent, but I do think you look more at a true bridge QB than like a mid-tier one. A Tyrod Taylor type of thing

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Been looking into Stroud a bit today. He really scares me. Dude is really good under extremely good circumstances. Like his OL and WRs were amazing. He routinely had a ton of time to throw and his WRs were either ridiculously open or made insane catches constantly.

Stroud exhibited a 93.7 pff grade when not pressured and tossed 35 TDs. But under pressure, his pff grade was in the 40s and he threw only 6 TDs.

Like that Ohio St offense reminds me a bit of Joe Burrow's LSU offense. I said during his draft year he looked so good but I hoped he busted because it was all a product that he came from such a good offense. That being said I think Burrow although it wasn't a ton had shown considerably more good tape under pressure compared to Stroud.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Been looking into Stroud a bit today. He really scares me. Dude is really good under extremely good circumstances. Like his OL and WRs were amazing. He routinely had a ton of time to throw and his WRs were either ridiculously open or made insane catches constantly.

Stroud exhibited a 93.7 pff grade when not pressured and tossed 35 TDs. But under pressure, his pff grade was in the 40s and he threw only 6 TDs.

Like that Ohio St offense reminds me a bit of Joe Burrow's LSU offense. I said during his draft year he looked so good but I hoped he busted because it was all a product that he came from such a good offense. That being said I think Burrow although it wasn't a ton had shown considerably more good tape under pressure compared to Stroud.

i think Stroud does a lot of great things

but Young has the high-level QB traits locked down - he lacks the elite arm strength... but the pocket movement and feel, arm angles, touch. accuracy, ability to deal with pressure pre and post-snap, he's making protection calls and full-field reads already

i think the stroud traits are more eye-popping with his arm talent - and the game against Georgia really makes you wonder if something clicked on the biggest of stages in his last game... but he was inconsistent at best before vs pressure and using his mobility

Joe Burrow was in a different stratosphere as a college QB

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
i think Stroud does a lot of great things

but Young has the high-level QB traits locked down - he lacks the elite arm strength... but the pocket movement and feel, arm angles, touch. accuracy, ability to deal with pressure pre and post-snap, he's making protection calls and full-field reads already

i think the stroud traits are more eye-popping with his arm talent - and the game against Georgia really makes you wonder if something clicked on the biggest of stages in his last game... but he was inconsistent at best before vs pressure and using his mobility

Joe Burrow was in a different stratosphere as a college QB
Agreed all around on the Stroud and Burrow points. I haven't watched enough BY yet. Going to dive in now.

The thing that makes Stroud interesting is that Georgia game. Because not only were the stakes high, but that was the best defense he played arguably and also where he demonstrated his best play under pressure and duress.

It's like if Stroud has it and is just beginning to put it together and is a guy who rises up under pressure, sign me up. But it's hard to know. 1 game sample size.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I only watched a single 10 minute video on Bryce Young and let me tell you I'd be scared to death to draft him. Its funny, he and Stroud look so incredibly different. If you could add Bryce Young into Stroud's physical sized body and with Stroud's arm talent, you'd have a pretty perfect looking prospect.

Both look to be lacking considerably in at LEAST one area. Crazy as it sounds, I think Stroud might be safer at this point, but hoping back in to check out more. We'll see if this tune changes.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I'm not sure you could honestly say that either Stroud or Young are safer prospects than Kenny Pickett. And I was not super high on KP (just refreshed myself with him too)

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Does anyone else love Tanner McKee?
He's honestly probably the safest pick in the draft. Not perfect by any stretch, but you could definitely build a winning team around him. Weirdly enough he actually reminds me a bit of Flacco.

Yo, gimme McKee over Levis and Richardson. He’s QB3.

That said.. it’s a pretty big tier drop off after Bryce and CJ. This QB class ain’t that good