• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2023 QB Thread

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
he's nowhere near as advanced as lamar was though as a passer - like completely different stratosphere...

he's in a very basic RPO offence
a bunch of 1 read and bail type stuff too
lots of his best stuff (especially deep) is when they move the pocket for him

but the running ability is really exciting - there's a bunch of tools to work with but he looks like a project to me
Agreed on all fronts, at the end you implied that Richardson is a project and Lamar wasn’t, but that’s not the case. Lamar was passing at a higher level as far as pro style concepts by far but Richardson has a live arm and a solid base mechanically

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Agreed on all fronts, at the end you implied that Richardson is a project and Lamar wasn’t, but that’s not the case. Lamar was passing at a higher level as far as pro style concepts by far but Richardson has a live arm and a solid base mechanically

i mean lamar had a narrow base in college that got wider in the NFL for sure

that's a good point about richardson's mechanics for sure - he does have a nice motion and base - just think he's probably much further away from being an early NFL QB than Lamar was at the same stage

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Didn't know this... I assumed Stroud was a lock to come out but apparently he hasn't declared for the Draft yet.

Thezone27

Ravens Ring of Honor
If he doesn't declare suddenly the Bears' asking price for the first overall round pick shoots way up.
Yes. Everyone would want Young, but I think Stroud would like to declare this year, because he can be picked later by a good team.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Outside of the obvious top two there's three QBs I'd be interested in building around: Tanner McKee, Hendon Hooker, and Anthony Richardson.

I think McKee is the most pro ready of the three, but probably has the lowest ceiling (though still has potential to be a solid starter). Richardson is the one I'd want the most, though I'd be all in on any of the three.

Thezone27

Ravens Ring of Honor
Outside of the obvious top two there's three QBs I'd be interested in building around: Tanner McKee, Hendon Hooker, and Anthony Richardson.

I think McKee is the most pro ready of the three, but probably has the lowest ceiling (though still has potential to be a solid starter). Richardson is the one I'd want the most, though I'd be all in on any of the three.
How about Will Levis and Stenson Bennett?

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
How about Will Levis and Stenson Bennett?
Bennett is kinda small, doesn't have that strong of an arm, and will be 26 in October. He could be a solid, journeyman backup since he's smart, and won't make mistakes.

Levi's is the most up and down of the group, and seems like he had a rougher season this year than last. Also seems to have a hard time reading defenses, and isn't patient when looking for WRs honestly I think he's a bigger gamble than most of the top QBs in this draft, even more so than Richardson.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Bennett is kinda small, doesn't have that strong of an arm, and will be 26 in October. He could be a solid, journeyman backup since he's smart, and won't make mistakes.

Levi's is the most up and down of the group, and seems like he had a rougher season this year than last. Also seems to have a hard time reading defenses, and isn't patient when looking for WRs honestly I think he's a bigger gamble than most of the top QBs in this draft, even more so than Richardson.

To be fair, Hendon hooker is also already 25 years old

Simba

Staff Member
Did a really brief look into Anthony Richardson today and good lord, I don't know what to think. The ball explodes out of his hand on occasion but it's far too often a misfire. So many fun tools to work with there but he's almost a ground up guy. Very curious to see his progression in the NFL.

Did a really brief look into Anthony Richardson today and good lord, I don't know what to think. The ball explodes out of his hand on occasion but it's far too often a misfire. So many fun tools to work with there but he's almost a ground up guy. Very curious to see his progression in the NFL.

Random hypothetical exercise:

You are EDC, LJ wants a 250m fully guaranteed contract and isn’t willing to move off that number so you franchise tag him. Richardson is sitting there at 22, do you take him and have him sit behind LJ for a season with plans to trade LJ next offseason?

Simba

Staff Member
Random hypothetical exercise:

You are EDC, LJ wants a 250m fully guaranteed contract and isn’t willing to move off that number so you franchise tag him. Richardson is sitting there at 22, do you take him and have him sit behind LJ for a season with plans to trade LJ next offseason?
Nah. I'd rather trade him now, take the lumps for a year, and take a shot at one of the guys in the 2024 class.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

His mechanics fall apart on short throws
It’s why he can throw a beautiful deep ball and then bury a check down or quick out in the dirt

Also he’s very 1 read right now too

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
his windup is going to be a major issue. Lamar's mechanics were basically below the waist and much more correctible. Lamar had a narrow base. I don't want Anthony Richardson on this team and we won't have to draft him anyway.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Damn y’all, I just checked out Anthony Richardson, and he looks like he could be the actual “next Lamar” this dude looks like he’s moving at a different speed than everyone else, he slips right by tacklers so easily, and hes got a good looking deep ball
A mock draft has him connected to the Ravens. I like what I see.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
A mock draft has him connected to the Ravens. I like what I see.

He's a work in progress, and you'd get plenty of rough moments in that first season. But if he gets into a good situation he could be the best QB of this draft in the long run.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Gotta say 35 posts in the WR thread zero in this one lol. Jeez we don't even know Lamar's status. We may need this!! I know Brcye Young and Stroud are head and shoulders above the rest blah blah blah but some QB's I really like are Frank Harris (UTSA), Mike Penix (Wash St) and Cam Rising (Utah). I like these guys cuz they fit the GRo offense. Penix I actually forgot about until I watched a segment on the Heisman and they had him on the outside looking in. I will never forget that 4th qtr against Penn St awile back. It was incredible and I've been on his bandwagon ever since. Harris has a pretty throw and can move around the pocket well and he defintely got fucked by the dropsies last night but I really liked his game. I can't say enough about Rising. He just has the it factor and I will watch them play Penn St later in the year. I have circled that mf.
Lol. None of the 3 guys I talked about here entered the draft. :lol:. Apparantly the covid season added an extra year of eligibilty and maybe the NIL is having an effect on this too .

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ot...om-michael-penix-to-michael-pratt/ar-AA16Lryy

Right now I'm very unenamored with this class and am more interested in keeping Lamar. They say Max Duggan is a mid to late pick and I say let's get him. A sleeper and possible udfa is Lindsay Scott out of Incarnate Word. Yep that's a real school. They advanced pretty far in the FCS playoffs.