• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Running Game, The Mess and The Greg Roman

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Right but I guess that's my point. If you really want a receiver of your choice, you probably need to get to #7 or #8. That's taking a second rounder, minimum, and probably more.
And if I'm the Ravens, I'm also sitting there saying to myself "ok, we're at #10 in the draft, and there's 3 WRs I like on the board (assuming that's true, which it may not be) and only four picks until I pick... why do I have to move". And I think that logic is fine. Know Jets are taking a WR, but Minnesota and Philadelphia are not. So it literally requires two trade-ups in front to make it happen, which is what happened.
The rumor is the Ravens liked Olave and Wilson. Wilson as the explosive threat and Olave as the more technical player. But, anyway...

When the Saints and Lions made their trades, I find it hard to believe the Ravens wouldn't have been aware of the trade and who was being targeted. Maybe they didn't feel the value was there to trade up and get into a bidding war, but I personally would have liked to see some aggression to get their rumored guy in Olave when it became known the Commanders were trading back.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Lamar Jackson didn’t travel with the team to Cleveland. He had plenty of time to lay those papers around the facility while they fly back. Also a person who got access to everything in the building.

Yeah, imma say it’s Lamar.

I don’t want to take all the credit…

But crown me.

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
That’s not the ravens way. Defense only here.

First round safety.
Follow that up by drafting a second round LB who’s coming off an Achilles tear.
Don’t draft any WRs with our 5 mid round draft picks.

“Oh no, our offense sucks.”
Oh well, let’s triple-down and trade for a MLB midseason.

It’s crazy

See, now given what happened in the 1st round with WR's, S and C were great picks. The 2nd round I get, but I didn't like it and I won't until he plays and shows something. We could have maybe gotten some mileage out of that pick this year and maybe at WR. Seriously tho, we are not good at picking WR's and we are still less good at picking them in mid and late rounds. Those are just wasted picks, imo, as much as I want guys like Tylan Wallace to succeed, we have just a terrible record over decades of WR picks. WR is a position I wish we'd buy instead of drafting. We've done fairly well at that... Derrick Mason, Boldin, Steve Smith... Let's stick to that.

The Roquan trade was excellent. There were no WR's that would have cost anything close to improving the team the way he did. That was a fabulous move. But we have to keep him, so one of our two LB's is going to be hitting the road after their rookie deal is up.

marklar

Pro Bowler
With the risk of sounding like an apologist, I think people are too harsh on Huntley and calling for his head after this game. He indeed looked like crap against the Browns, but taking his full body or work, I think he's been a "league-average backup" and everyone has a shit game from time to time. We have invested zero in him (UDFA, minimum wage kind of guy) and we shouldn't expect him to carry the team.
The Ravens obviously felt that he could give 90% of what a $5M veteran backup could give for 20% of the cost and hope he doesn't play too much. And they IMO won of the former, but unfortunately, he had to play more than we'd like.
I'm still fine with the guy as our backup if get don't have to give him a 2nd round tender for next year and can keep him on a cheap deal. We all know he's limited in many ways and won't ever wow us, but we also know that on his good days, he's can perform at a level of most teams' backups and win a few games if the rest of the team plays well.

Comparing him with Lamar is just unfair, if anyone expects those to to play at the same level, they are delusional.

Simba

Staff Member
With the risk of sounding like an apologist, I think people are too harsh on Huntley and calling for his head after this game. He indeed looked like crap against the Browns, but taking his full body or work, I think he's been a "league-average backup" and everyone has a shit game from time to time. We have invested zero in him (UDFA, minimum wage kind of guy) and we shouldn't expect him to carry the team.
The Ravens obviously felt that he could give 90% of what a $5M veteran backup could give for 20% of the cost and hope he doesn't play too much. And they IMO won of the former, but unfortunately, he had to play more than we'd like.
I'm still fine with the guy as our backup if get don't have to give him a 2nd round tender for next year and can keep him on a cheap deal. We all know he's limited in many ways and won't ever wow us, but we also know that on his good days, he's can perform at a level of most teams' backups and win a few games if the rest of the team plays well.

Comparing him with Lamar is just unfair, if anyone expects those to to play at the same level, they are delusional.
I don't think anyone is calling for his head, but he played horribly and has in his limited action this season. His mechanics are a mess right now, and he's not making good decisions either. The guy we saw last year that somehow kept us competitive despite us rolling out brand new players seemingly every week is not the same guy we've seen this year so far. Not playing with the confidence and calmness that he used to.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I don't think anyone is calling for his head, but he played horribly and has in his limited action this season. His mechanics are a mess right now, and he's not making good decisions either. The guy we saw last year that somehow kept us competitive despite us rolling out brand new players seemingly every week is not the same guy we've seen this year so far. Not playing with the confidence and calmness that he used to.
He’s got big kyle boller energy this year

Tank

Hall of Famer
Seems you could also be describing QB1 here, except replace limited action with recent action.

I think Tyler has been nicked, we just didn’t know it.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Last year we had Hollywood, Bateman and Andrews all healthy and he would instantly go through one read and pass the ball to one of them, mostly Andrews. I believe this is why he performed better last year than this year, even with a better OL this season.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I, too, don't see a difference in quality of play between Lamar and Huntley or think the Ravens perform drastically better with Lamar this season.
We did early in the year when Bateman was healthy. We saw how he could be with an actual wide receiver on the field. We also haven't seen him on the field with JK and Gus Edwards since the 2020 season.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
you're right. I wasn't reading from the beginning of the conversation so I definitely missed. I appreciate you pointing it out, because coming from you and bird, I should have known better.

What was that tweet referring to where you tagged me and my brother?