• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Running Game, The Mess and The Greg Roman

The defense was shit with Hamilton frequently and the defense collapsed against the Jags with Smith.

I think both are GREAT players, but I 100% believe that an Olave or Wilson, the two players the Ravens were reportedly interested in, would be a bigger impact maker than Hamilton for the team and I don't think Roquan has been transformative for this defense.
Olave and Wilson were gone so that's a moot point. Hamilton is a rookie and has come along massively, Smith has been with the team 5 weeks and has massively turned around our defence, look at the points allowed the last 3 weeks.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Olave and Wilson were gone so that's a moot point. Hamilton is a rookie and has come along massively, Smith has been with the team 5 weeks and has massively turned around our defence, look at the points allowed the last 3 weeks.
Bird is right about the Hamilton pick thoug. He said "EDC should have been more aggressive getting the WR", presumably by trading up.
Just forgot that this action would result in less day 3 picks.

Not the Raven way.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
My point was that I would have rather been aggressive and moved up for Olave or Wilson than stand pat and hope that they'd fall to the Ravens.

And as far as Roquan goes- I've said it before, but the offenses the Ravens have played are DREADFUL. The Broncos might be literally the worst offense in the NFL, the Steelers are probably bottom five, and the Watson led Browns have only scored two touchdowns in 33 drives. They'd only scored one touchdown in 24 drives in their prior two games. It's even worse because they've only scored four field goals and two touchdowns in those 33 drives with Watson.

Those are not teams that I would point to when measuring the impact that Roquan has had on the defense because I firmly believe the defense would have been great regardless of his presence.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Bird is right about the Hamilton pick thoug. He said "EDC should have been more aggressive getting the WR", presumably by trading up.
Just forgot that this action would result in less day 3 picks.

Not the Raven way.
They REALLY needed to make six fourth round picks. Couldn't risk losing a couple.

My point was that I would have rather been aggressive and moved up for Olave or Wilson than stand pat and hope that they'd fall to the Ravens.

And as far as Roquan goes- I've said it before, but the offenses the Ravens have played are DREADFUL. The Broncos might be literally the worst offense in the NFL, the Steelers are probably bottom five, and the Watson led Browns have only scored two touchdowns in 33 drives. They'd only scored one touchdown in 24 drives in their prior two games. It's even worse because they've only scored four field goals and two touchdowns in those 33 drives with Watson.

Those are not teams that I would point to when measuring the impact that Roquan has had on the defense because I firmly believe the defense would have been great regardless of his presence.
Well isn't that a check mate? You can't use his limited games played because the teams were rubbish, therefore he's had no notable impact.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor

Trading up takes two teams to agree to the terms. You're automatically assuming the teams above us would have agreed to a reasonable deal rather than just taking the guy they wanted.

Also I can guarantee that a rookie WR would underachieve in this offense and people would still be saying we have no talent at the position.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Well isn't that a check mate? You can't use his limited games played because the teams were rubbish, therefore he's had no notable impact.
I want to be clear that I think Roquan is very good and I think he's been great for the Ravens, but my point is his impact is being overstated in my opinion and I don't think he's been transformative for this defense in such a way that they could carry a team to the Super Bowl.

I'm also against paying as much as he'll likely cost, especially because Queen was silently playing great before his arrival and is on a really cheap contract.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Trading up takes two teams to agree to the terms. You're automatically assuming the teams above us would have agreed to a reasonable deal rather than just taking the guy they wanted.

Also I can guarantee that a rookie WR would underachieve in this offense and people would still be saying we have no talent at the position.
The team I'd be looking at is the Commanders since they DID trade with the Saints, who were two picks behind the Ravens, so it's safe to assume the Ravens could have made a trade if they wanted to.

Depends on how we define "underachieving." Do I think he'd be 63/950/3 like he is now? Probably not. But do I think he'd have a more notable impact than the current receivers and made the loss of Bateman significantly lessened compared to now? Yes. I think Olave would have had a reasonably good season here.

I want to be clear that I think Roquan is very good and I think he's been great for the Ravens, but my point is his impact is being overstated in my opinion and I don't think he's been transformative for this defense in such a way that they could carry a team to the Super Bowl.

I'm also against paying as much as he'll likely cost, especially because Queen was silently playing great before his arrival and is on a really cheap contract.
Yeah I don't know about transformative because we were already playing at a high level. I think it's too early, let's see how he goes if we make the play offs. He brings leadership, as well and has helped Queens development.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
has helped Queens development.
I think this narrative bothers me the most.

Queen was actually quietly really good this year, even prior to Roquan joining the team. And I'm not saying this is necessarily you, but too many people refuse to see development from players and latch onto their predetermined narrative.

I think this narrative bothers me the most.

Queen was actually quietly really good this year, even prior to Roquan joining the team. And I'm not saying this is necessarily you, but too many people refuse to see development from players and latch onto their predetermined narrative.
Both statements can be true, they are not diametrically opposed.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Both statements can be true, they are not diametrically opposed.
No, you're right- Queen, much like the entire defense, has played better since Roquan joined (although, I think that's as much to do with poor offenses as anything), but I was just making a general statement about how Queen is getting discredited too much, in my opinion.

No, you're right- Queen, much like the entire defense, has played better since Roquan joined (although, I think that's as much to do with poor offenses as anything), but I was just making a general statement about how Queen is getting discredited too much, in my opinion.
Yeah simplifying the game has helped Queen just use his athleticism to improve. He hasn't played a lot of football and a guy like Smith can help him develop the mental side of the game.

But yeah I'm not a Queen hater, still got hopes for him.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Yeah simplifying the game has helped Queen just use his athleticism to improve. He hasn't played a lot of football and a guy like Smith can help him develop the mental side of the game.

But yeah I'm not a Queen hater, still got hopes for him.
he's been playing lights out since Roquan Smith came, but he started playing really good a month prior to RS being traded to Baltimore.