• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Next Up: @. Bengals

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
Two things that could help us on Thursday. First we rested some key starters early in the second half. Second, maybe it will help that we just played a game in the pouring rain, where the Bengals played in a dome today, as it is supposed rain on Thursday in Cincy.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’m just gonna be realistic here. Cinci is gonna be real tough on Thursday. It’s gonna be a slugfest. With that being said,

16-0

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I'm really worried about the interior of the OL this game.
It'll be Yanda taking on Atkins. Who is the most worrisome. Stanley is still an ace in pass protection so whoever lines up against him will hopefully be fine *knock on wood*. Fucking Hurst worries me the most, but he was solid in pass protection. What worries me is the run game. Skura and Hurst are clear cut liabilities. On top of this, this is the first in-game action this unit has had together, and it's very very likely that it'll get shaken up once the coaches smarten up and actually start Brown Jr at RT like he should be doing so now.

I still believe the moment Brown Jr is ready the line as a whole improves significantly in run blocking. And the line is going to need a few weeks of cohesion.

While Hurst was solid in pass protection this game.. The next two weeks we better not trot him out there... At all. He's going up against Lawson, Dunlap, and Von Miller. If we want to do anything correctly, best to fix this problem now.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I'm just going to watch the last 1'46'' of a Thursday game. That will tell me everything I need to know about 2018 Ravens.

RavensPunkXVX

Pro Bowler
The Ravens are gonna need to mix it up in order to win this game. Historically, Joe Flacco does poorly in Cincinnati. The running backs can control the game if they get a push up front. That being said, I think it’ll be tough to get the run going.

Luck threw about 50 times, but only sacked twice. I don’t wanna see Flacco throwing 50 times. Not even 40 times.

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
I know we don’t want to talk about injuries because of the last couple of seasons and the jinx thing, but that is what worries me the most playing the Bengals. They are by far the dirtiest team in the NFL. I am not going to sugar coat it. I hate this team more than any team in the NFL!!!! It is all about their dirty play that has my blood boiling when we play the stinking Bengals. That player deserved to be ejected yesterday, and I am glad he was. That just proved to me that this team is still just as dirty as they ever were. I hate the Bengals!!!!

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
It'll be Yanda taking on Atkins. Who is the most worrisome. Stanley is still an ace in pass protection so whoever lines up against him will hopefully be fine *knock on wood*. Fucking Hurst worries me the most, but he was solid in pass protection. What worries me is the run game. Skura and Hurst are clear cut liabilities. On top of this, this is the first in-game action this unit has had together, and it's very very likely that it'll get shaken up once the coaches smarten up and actually start Brown Jr at RT like he should be doing so now.

I still believe the moment Brown Jr is ready the line as a whole improves significantly in run blocking. And the line is going to need a few weeks of cohesion.

While Hurst was solid in pass protection this game.. The next two weeks we better not trot him out there... At all. He's going up against Lawson, Dunlap, and Von Miller. If we want to do anything correctly, best to fix this problem now.
I mean...Brown would absolutely get destroyed by Miller, as will Hurst. We need to have a TE help on Von Miller every single play against the Broncos or it’s gonna be ugly

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
You never know what you are going to get with Dalton, although he has been known to kill us late in the fourth quarter. I am so glad we no longer have Dean Pees because of that crap.
He hasn’t killed us much when we have had Jimmy Smith in the past. That being said, we don’t have Jimmy, but I believe Humphrey will do fine against him. It will be interesting if he is following him.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The Ravens are gonna need to mix it up in order to win this game. Historically, Joe Flacco does poorly in Cincinnati. The running backs can control the game if they get a push up front. That being said, I think it’ll be tough to get the run going.

Luck threw about 50 times, but only sacked twice. I don’t wanna see Flacco throwing 50 times. Not even 40 times.

i really have no issue with us throwing the ball that much if like against the bills we find those soft spots so easily

i remember saying id be pissed if we didnt emphasise the run vs the dolphins a couple of years ago and we just threw and threw and threw the ball and we destroyed them because they had no answer

the Bengals have an awesome looking DL but their linebackers and secondary are probably less talented and certainly less well schematically coached than the Bills group - the Bengals will be looking to force us to throw and that's fine by me because we have receivers who are adept at finding the soft spots in the zone and with john brown on the field the bengals cant afford to not leave deep cover

so while its disappointing if we arent able to establish the run vs the bengals im not gonna be that worried by it philosophically as long as we execute
and much like in this bills game id expect that the running game will open up later in the game if we get a lead

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
The key to having success against The Bengals will be misdirection. They are practically machine- like in how they account for motion on early downs out of heavy run formations and this should be exploited.

FWIW, the Bills kind of did sell hard on the run and were very suprised we decided to throw it as much as we did. I think they were expecting us to run a lot and it seems to me they did everything they can to stop it. It kind of explains how hard they fell for the TE's on PA and what not. I'm going to backtrack on my statement. Last year we had Hurst and Skura as our interior guards, this year we have Yanda and Lewis which is a monumental upgrade. I really do think that once the pass game continues to improve that we'll get better. Also the sooner Brown Jr. is ready the better because even he admitted he still has plenty to learn. Hopefully the staff gets him up to speed.