• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2023 Offseason Thread

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I think there is a chance. Cleveland is not a LG. JUst not nimble enough for pulls and I worry about pass protection. Sala I would love to just see them work him out at LG. Seemed like he had pretty quick feet from some of the highlights. Maybe try Faalele. Never heard of Simpson. Was he on practice squad?
I didn't know Simpson was in the team either lol until @rossihunter2 told me. He was a 4th round pick at of Clemson a few years ago. Played 3 years with the Raiders and now is with us. I checked out his pff grades and he has improved each year in the league and last year he had an average grade.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
I didn't know Simpson was in the team either lol until @rossihunter2 told me. He was a 4th round pick at of Clemson a few years ago. Played 3 years with the Raiders and now is with us. I checked out his pff grades and he has improved each year in the league and last year he had an average grade.
Well add him to the mix lol.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Well add him to the mix lol.
Yep! Rossi said he liked him in that draft class and that he's gonna be unspectacular but really solid. So maybe he's a perfect replacement for Powers???? Idk.

But I'd really like to see Sala. I know I'm probably jumping the gun but that dude is athletic as fuck and I think it would be really fun to see him out there

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yep! Rossi said he liked him in that draft class and that he's gonna be unspectacular but really solid. So maybe he's a perfect replacement for Powers???? Idk.

But I'd really like to see Sala. I know I'm probably jumping the gun but that dude is athletic as fuck and I think it would be really fun to see him out there

this is why i remember Simpson as a pro lol

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Pretty funny how the mood changed after the Lamar extension and draft.

To all my flock brethrens who survived this off-season…

E1A8E45D-5CBB-43B3-B6EA-8452ADC848D3.gif

We’ll look back and tell our grandkids about this one day.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Pretty funny how the mood changed after the Lamar extension and draft.

To all my flock brethrens who survived this off-season…

View attachment 5388

We’ll look back and tell our grandkids about this one day.
I never doubted Lamar was gonna get extended. I'm beyond ecstatic that not only he's a Raven, this saga will not linger on into the summer, and EDC made it his mission to ensure he's surrounded with the best weapons he has ever had to work with.

#MVPSZN2023 on deck!

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor

Would be something if a 6th rdr could be our starter at LG.

On Simpson I had to look him up but was a consensus All American his last year and started 21 games for the Raiduhs. Like rossi said could have been the regime change but yeah it's crazy that I had no idea about this guy at all. Seems liked we picked him up late last year from waivers and put him on the practice squad. Let the battles commence!!

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Idk I am just hype over here that a legitimate LG prospect just showed up out of nowhere. I still don't know when we even got him

Like idk that he’ll win the battle but he’s a young guy with a whole host of starts in the league already under his belt

We picked him up in December I think - he came to visit and we stashed him on the PS - I’m guessing there’s a reclamation project kind of feel here

But I guess we’ll see what comes of him once Joe D gets his hands on him properly

My guess is this is gonna be a completely open competition - there’s no incumbent/default winner with Powers gone and the only other guy to win a camp battle for a guard spot is Tyre who’s long gone too

So no one to default to - I imagine this is gonna be one of the only true training camp battles - Cleveland has to be the favourite but Simpson’s a legit challenger in that competition and now the rookie to add too (and vorhees in 2024)

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Like idk that he’ll win the battle but he’s a young guy with a whole host of starts in the league already under his belt

We picked him up in December I think - he came to visit and we stashed him on the PS - I’m guessing there’s a reclamation project kind of feel here

But I guess we’ll see what comes of him once Joe D gets his hands on him properly

My guess is this is gonna be a completely open competition - there’s no incumbent/default winner with Powers gone and the only other guy to win a camp battle for a guard spot is Tyre who’s long gone too

So no one to default to - I imagine this is gonna be one of the only true training camp battles - Cleveland has to be the favourite but Simpson’s a legit challenger in that competition and now the rookie to add too (and vorhees in 2024)
Yep think you probably see Cleveland, Simpson, Sala, and UDFAs battling it out.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
They also mentioned faalele earlier this offseason

I’m hoping that’s not the plan tbh because I want him to continue working at tackle and not learning a new position
Same. I don’t see faalele at G at all, the feet and knee/hip bend aren’t there, the lateral movement is respectable for a man his size but it’s not G caliber, keep him at T where his length and size shine and his muscle memory remains

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Same. I don’t see faalele at G at all, the feet and knee/hip bend aren’t there, the lateral movement is respectable for a man his size but it’s not G caliber, keep him at T where his length and size shine and his muscle memory remains

Don’t get me wrong - the idea of shoving him at LG and letting him get his long arms into guys on double teams and let linderbaum climb off a combo to L2 is pretty exciting but I just don’t think it’ll work in pass pro or on any other types of run play