• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2023 Offseason Thread

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Justice Hill last year had 49 attempts for 262 yards. He has been getting better every year and I think people just did not notice it because of his awful rookie year and then missing a season.
This is Justice Hill's 5th season. He was drafted in 2019 and didn't do well in either year, but started to do better last season. He definitely fits Monken's offense better than Roman's.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
This is Justice Hill's 5th season. He was drafted in 2019 and didn't do well in either year, but started to do better last season. He definitely fits Monken's offense better than Roman's.
He was basically invisible in 2020. 12 carries for 60 yards and 5 receptions for 20 yards are basically invisible numbers. Last year was the first time since his rookie year he had actual role in the offense and he looked pretty good in limited action and I would honestly not be surprised if he was the primary backup. There were times watching him move that I wondered if he might be making a run to be the starter.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Then you have a 50/50 that he just elects to not show up for the first half of the season. The RB room right now is solid. Dobbins is not a great 1, but with Hill and Edwards you have a great overall RB room. No need to go big to try and upgrade a position of strength. If he were a pass rusher or a corner then sure but those are positions where you could use another good starter.
OK its nowhere near a 50% chance that he sits out. For starters, the franchise tag next year is at or above market value anyway, so these clowns really won't have a choice.
Second, they're not sitting out. They don't have the balls to do that. They'll do what Jacobs and Barkley did... sit out a good chunk of the offseason, miss most of the preseason, etc. Then they'll post and play.

Simba

Staff Member
Post-game 2 prediction...

QB (2): Jackson, Huntley
RB (5): Dobbins, Edwards, Hill, Mitchell, Ricard (FB)
WR (6): Beckham, Flowers, Bateman, Agholor, Duvernay, Wallace
TE (3): Andrews, Likely, Kolar
OL (9): Stanley, Simpson, Linderbaum, Zeitler, Moses, Mekari, Aumavae-Laulu, Mustipher, Faalele

Total: 25

Notable misses: QB Johnson, RB Gordon, TE Vokolek, OL Cleveland

DL (4): Madubuike, Pierce, Washington, Jones, Urban*
OLB (5): Oweh, Ojabo, Clowney, Bowser, Robinson
ILB (5): Smith, Queen, Harrison, Simpson, Phillips
CB (8): Humphrey, Ya-Sin, Darby, Maulet, Seymour, Stephens, Washington, Williams*
S (3): Williams, Hamilton, Stone

Notable misses: DL Blackson, OLB Hamm, OLB Moon, ILB Ross, ILB Welch, CB Kelly, S Worley

And then the 3 STers.

In this scenario, I would have Urban being the vet handshake guy for Pepe to go to IR. Worley also gets a handshake deal to start on the PS and be added to the 53 as a spot opens.

I don't find this year particularly hard in the sense of losing guys. Maybe only 2 or 3 guys that might hurt a little if they get claimed, but really not overly worried about any of them.

Ideal PS candidates:
QB Johnson, WR Black, WR Ryan, TE Vokolek, OL Sharpe, OL Manning, DL Nichols, LB Hamm, LB Moon, LB Ross, LB Welch, CB Kelly, CB Lucien

UPennChem

Hall of Famer

OL (9): Stanley, Simpson, Linderbaum, Zeitler, Moses, Mekari, Aumavae-Laulu, Mustipher, Faalele

CB (8): Humphrey, Ya-Sin, Darby, Maulet, Seymour, Stephens, Washington, Williams*

Notable misses: DL Blackson, OLB Hamm, OLB Moon, ILB Ross, ILB Welch, CB Kelly, S Worley

And then the 3 STers.

In this scenario, I would have Urban being the vet handshake guy for Pepe to go to IR. Worley also gets a handshake deal to start on the PS and be added to the 53 as a spot opens.

I don't find this year particularly hard in the sense of losing guys. Maybe only 2 or 3 guys that might hurt a little if they get claimed, but really not overly worried about any of them.

Ideal PS candidates:
QB Johnson, WR Black, WR Ryan, TE Vokolek, OL Sharpe, OL Manning, DL Nichols, LB Hamm, LB Moon, LB Ross, LB Welch, CB Kelly, CB Lucien
You know I've got it similarly. Keaton is the real question for me. Also just have Worley and Seymour swapped.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Washington really celebrating the win like they won the Super Bowl. When Washington's is picking first and us 32nd with Lamar hoisting the Lombardi, tell me how much this win meant then.

On the plus side, I'm happy we don't have to hear about this streak anymore.
200 (1).gif

This was the first thing I thought of when I saw them celebrating lol. I'm happy we don't have to hear about it. Just didn't want it to be them after acting like they didn't care.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Me too. He's been very good in practice they say. Which I'm hoping is legit. But he's been completely silent in both games.

At least in the commanders game, those were higher string players. But we'll see. He's not played in very many games in his whole career at all levels combined.

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler
Proche really has had a depressing pre season
Besides not being very good, he's also been incredibly unlucky. Since the start of last season every mistake has gone as wrong as it possibly could. If a ball bounced off his hands it was guaranteed to go straight to an opponent.

When he ends up in the XFL or whatever he's going to have an incredible run of good luck at some point and look like a real player for a couple of weeks.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
OK its nowhere near a 50% chance that he sits out. For starters, the franchise tag next year is at or above market value anyway, so these clowns really won't have a choice.
Second, they're not sitting out. They don't have the balls to do that. They'll do what Jacobs and Barkley did... sit out a good chunk of the offseason, miss most of the preseason, etc. Then they'll post and play.
Betting your season on a player "not having the balls" to do something is a bold move. Especially considering that it is probably the smartest thing they can do in terms of maximizing their income. After all the entire reason that RBs lose value is that they get too many carries so by playing only half a season under the tag they can both show that they are still elite AND minimize the carries they get thereby keeping their value high. Meanwhile your team does not get that tag money back until AFTER they miss the games so you still have 13m locked up (or whatever the tag ends up being but it will almost certainly not be higher than that).

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Baker Mayfield named the starter for the Bucs. Guess we'll see him Saturday in the preseason finale.

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
My biggest take aways from last night are:

1. The run game. Justice Hill is looking good. He had another solid game. That kid Mitchell has some wheels. He is a keeper. Gordon looks old and slow.

2. Those backup corners last night struggled mightily against the Commanders top receivers. Not one impressed me very much, especially Kelly. That kid with the penalty on 4th and 11 needs to turn in his playbook immediately. The secondary is my biggest concern going into the season. Hopefully Marlo and Rock get well very soon!

3. Our pass rush was lacking again, but realize they did keep more of their starters in.

4. Our backup o-line was struggling at times. I hope our starters stay healthy!

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

And then the 3 STers.

Ideal PS candidates:
I know you don't think Armour Davis isn't making the team.