• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2023 Offseason Thread

Simba

Staff Member
Also think we should still keep our eyes peeled for surprises. Not saying that I think they actually will or should, but saying I wouldn't be completely shocked if they move on from guys like Duvernay, Gus, Ricard, etc. that represent some cap savings. Gus seems safe from a monetary standpoint but his usage raises question.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Said it in the game thread last night, but Vokolek with Roman still here is probably an almost guarantee. Just seems we're going to be seeing a lot more 3 WRs on the field than we ever really have here and it makes it hard to justify. Think he's played well enough but is caught in the number's game. Probably could have even challenged Pat's spot with better blocking but that's been real spotty at best.

i think also the hidden thing with kolar and vokolek is that kolar's been blocking well - he's clearly developed that way and they're clearly looking at him as a guy who's going to do some of that TE3 stuff

vokolek has been the flashier more impressive receiver (who also clearly has blocking upside) but kolar's been the more impressive blocker by far to my eye

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Also think we should still keep our eyes peeled for surprises. Not saying that I think they actually will or should, but saying I wouldn't be completely shocked if they move on from guys like Duvernay, Gus, Ricard, etc. that represent some cap savings. Gus seems safe from a monetary standpoint but his usage raises question.

i think duvernay's the one to watch

i think he's the guy that keaton mitchell's really in a "battle" with

Simba

Staff Member
i think also the hidden thing with kolar and vokolek is that kolar's been blocking well - he's clearly developed that way and they're clearly looking at him as a guy who's going to do some of that TE3 stuff

vokolek has been the flashier more impressive receiver (who also clearly has blocking upside) but kolar's been the more impressive blocker by far to my eye
Agreed. Probably also worth calling out that Kolar put on 20 pounds or so to play that role. Could very well be adjusting to how his body works at that weight. Not even that he's been bad of course.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Honestly cutting Ricard makes tons of sense, but as other beat writers have suggested, I think they'll keep him. He basically went through the whole offseason program rehabbing, they tried to get him more flexibility by working out on the Oline, etc. Perception is the "optics" of letting him go at this point wouldn't make a ton of sense, and he's not overly expensive.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Agreed. Probably also worth calling out that Kolar put on 20 pounds or so to play that role. Could very well be adjusting to how his body works at that weight. Not even that he's been bad of course.

sure it's more been the annoying drops for me
not that he's been bad but not someone who, as a receiver, has made a great case for their presence on the roster right now

which is fine if he's earning his way on as a blocker but not what he was billed as when we drafted him (luckily Likely is)

Simba

Staff Member
Honestly cutting Ricard makes tons of sense, but as other beat writers have suggested, I think they'll keep him. He basically went through the whole offseason program rehabbing, they tried to get him more flexibility by working out on the Oline, etc. Perception is the "optics" of letting him go at this point wouldn't make a ton of sense, and he's not overly expensive.
I think he still probably provides enough value for this year in the various things he can do, so I agree with you. Don't think they will move on, but if it happened to be that he was let go, I wouldn't be shocked either.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
didnt watch live last night because it was 1am on a work night when it started lol

but positives from watching today so far

Travis Jones best defensive player on the field and it's not close - dude was dominating starters - still needs to be quicker to disengage but consistently could not be handled 1v1

John Simpson is gonna be our LG and that's absolutely fine - wouldnt surprise me if he doesnt feature in preseason game 3 - feels like he's won this competition now

Flowers also doesnt need to be playing in preseason 3

Vokolek I think has out-performed Kolar in all situations we've been able to see them both this Summer... not saying that's gonna translate to roster slots but Kolar has disappointed where Vokolek has really put himself into the category of UDFAs we might be sad if they get claimed

I get that everyone likes Keaton Mitchell but I think by the order of entry it's really clear that he's RB5 in the coach's minds and idk that he's making it to the 53 - saw lots of takes this morning before i watched about Mitchell nailing a spot and I'm just not convinced - think he's the 2nd half of preseason game version of Justice Hill on that first drive - definitely a guy to put on the PS and see but not a guy I'm saving a spot for

Ar'Darius Washington looks like he's not only making the roster but may well be the top slot CB option
yeah, I can see the team trying to sneak KM onto the practice squad, but I'd prefer to keep him over Gordon.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
well
a) JT isn't their season. That team isn't good enough to win with or without him
b) if he sits out half the season, the rest of the teams in the league will see that. And they'll know what he'll do any time he gets disgruntled about $. Just like if he comes back and decides he wants to "fake an injury", everybody else in the league will see that too. Not like the Colts won't put that out publicly either, much in the same way John made it known that Dobbins was "healthy" but no participating in camp. Everybody knows what's what at that point.
c) by sitting half the season, JT also forfeits half the franchise tag $. Which is a gigantic amount of $ to him. And at that point, the FA market will have been set for high-end RBs (which will be lower than he wants anyway), because there's about 8 really good RBs who are all scheduled to be FA's in 2024.

So he'll wake up mid-way through 2025, realize the $12-13M on the FT was actually really, really, really good value for his services, given what other players will and won't get in FA, and then realize "fuck I should have just played".

Hence why this isn't close to a 50/50 risk.
hindsight is 20/20 and some of these players aren't even 20/200 when it comes to finances.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Said it in the game thread last night, but Vokolek with Roman still here is probably an almost guarantee. Just seems we're going to be seeing a lot more 3 WRs on the field than we ever really have here and it makes it hard to justify. Think he's played well enough but is caught in the number's game. Probably could have even challenged Pat's spot with better blocking but that's been real spotty at best.
be great if we can get something for him. There are plenty of TE needy teams. I don't think it happens, but it would be great. Hey, we traded a kicker for a 5th, soooooo

Tank

Hall of Famer
Lamar hasn’t had much usage yet. You think they might on from him as well? That could be a pretty snazzy cap savings. lol

jk

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
i think duvernay's the one to watch

i think he's the guy that keaton mitchell's really in a "battle" with
The new kick off rule makes Duv even more expendable. I love the idea of our guys fair catching every kick off and starting at the 25

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor