• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2023 Offseason Thread

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I agree with all of this! Lamar only ran as much as he did under GRo cause that was GRo's playcalling that depended heavily on Lamar's running ability and skill. Lamar actually mentioned that Monken is giving him the "keys to the offense" in his presser today and that's completely different from GRo's system. Monken's "aerial" system should fit him well and allow him to only run as needed (i.e., as you mentioned above and if there are open lanes to do so, or if the pocket rapidly collapses to extend plays, etc.).

This is a new offensive scheme for the offense and Lamar, which he called, "Smooth" today at the presser. He knows that the Ravens need to pass the ball more to keep up with the other high-profile passing teams in the league (i.e., the Chiefs, Bills, Bengals, etc.). He's said that time and time again. GRo kept him bottled up and he did well with what he was allowed to do but under Monken, I am expecting him to be extremely freakish through the air. I can't wait!
I read the “ keys to the offense “ statement made by lamar and idk what to make of it.. you mean to tell me, roman didnt let lamar change the play if he saw something he didnt like?

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
I read the “ keys to the offense “ statement made by lamar and idk what to make of it.. you mean to tell me, roman didnt let lamar change the play if he saw something he didnt like?

That would echo some of the sentiments that some players have said in the past. That and the plays they practiced but never ran

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Winston threw the ball every play. Not to mention he always threw ints and pick 6s so they were always behind.. i lost a bet that required winston not to throw an int in his first 2 drives and if he threw a pick 6, i had to pay doubles lol…. Lets just say, i paid doubles in 2 straight games

Winston was out of control.

Doesn't help that he was BLIND lmao

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I know. It is crazy if he didn't allow Lamar to do that. You are literally handcuffing your QB in my view. Evidently, Lamar likes what he sees with Monken's offense and the liberty that he senses to make changes when necessary. I "believe" that we are in store for an explosive aerial attack to complement our running game. I can't wait to see it in action! :cool:

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I think the number one thing is gonna be does Monken have the ability to extract the good from Roman's scheme and make us a balanced powerhouse? Or is he just gonna toss it all out? Is he gonna try and keep some but fail at it?

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I think the number one thing is gonna be does Monken have the ability to extract the good from Roman's scheme and make us a balanced powerhouse? Or is he just gonna toss it all out? Is he gonna try and keep some but fail at it?
Toss all of it, this is Lamar’s offense designed by monken, let these two build this unit, after the offense is built and established, if you think adding some Roman style wrinkles will help then do that, but I don’t want any parts of a Frankenstein ass offense where we try to recreate Greg Roman through another OC. I recall once hearing a lot about a certain Canadian league OC coming here to replicate Kubiak’s offense… fuck that noise.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
As @JoeyFlex5 said in response, I think Monken and Lamar should create their own identity of the offense without trying to combine the two. Let them establish their own special identity on offense, a pro-style offense like they had at Louisville when Lamar was QB.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
One thing you cannot take away from either of those QBs is they were prolific gunslingers of the ball regardless of interceptions (Winston)...
Oh I absolutely agree. Those dudes could sling it to both teams with the best of em lmao. For all their turnovers, theyve had some really spectacular moments too.

If we’re talking about a lack of wins with monken, we can point to the turnovers and defenses, and can hope Lamar and our defense fares much better