• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Good, The Bad, and The ST Unit

RavensPunkXVX

Pro Bowler
Through three games, this team has really impressed me. Defensively, they won this game without Pierce, Mosley, and Jimmy. Three of the best, if not the best at each level for the Ravens. And this offense is an obvious upgrade, coupled with a healthy Joe, and this offense is exciting to watch.

The Ravens have always had this never give up attitude and this year is no different. Fought back against the Bengals. Shook off a lousy start against Denver. I think the difference this year is that they can fight their way back in and actually win. I think this team only gets better as the season drags on.

To go 3-1 without Jimmy, possibly mosley would be incredible. And no better time to catch Pittsburgh slipping than Sunday night.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
The Ravens have always had this never give up attitude and this year is no different. Fought back against the Bengals. Shook off a lousy start against Denver. I think the difference this year is that they can fight their way back in and actually win. I think this team only gets better as the season drags on.
This. Spot on.

This offense can now carry the team when the defense isn't dominant. The run game needs to do better and defense needs to create more turnovers but otherwise we're much better and more balanced than last year. And that's with Hurst, Henry, Mosley, Pierce and Jimmy missing. This team is only going to improve as the season progresses and it's already plenty good.

RavensPunkXVX

Pro Bowler
This. Spot on.

This offense can now carry the team when the defense isn't dominant. The run game needs to do better and defense needs to create more turnovers but otherwise we're much better and more balanced than last year. And that's with Hurst, Henry, Mosley, Pierce and Jimmy missing. This team is only going to improve as the season progresses and it's already plenty good.

Exactly. Weddle joked about it in his presser. Said after the disastrous opening, from the outside looking in, we were saying same old Ravens. Then he said this AINT THE SAME RAVENS. Lol was funny, but it’s true.

I think the players believe it too. the defense knows they can be bailed out. Hopefully that can open up the playbook a bit more and allow the defense to take more risks.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
i hated how much criticism he got for last week - he was isolated vs a number 1 receiver who had a head of extra height on him - we left him 1v1 in man in the slot vs AJ Green too much
Yeah I never would’ve called him out for last week, Tavon was put in a shitty situation that appeared to happen as a result of Mosley being out, the wrong calls were being made and he was a direct victim of it. Don’t ask a Tavon young to cover aj green in the red zone 1 on 1, that’s just dumb.

In reality, Tavon MIGHT be our best player on defense after the obvious Mosley and sizzle.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
i hated how much criticism he got for last week - he was isolated vs a number 1 receiver who had a head of extra height on him - we left him 1v1 in man in the slot vs AJ Green too much
I can’t get upset at him for his match up against Green, he won against everyone we lined him up against.

My issue with Tavon that day was his poor day overall, he had issues in coverage against Boyd and struggled with him too, I felt like he played well today and should only get better.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
  • Kenny Young continues to impress. When Mosley is healthy, this has the potential to be the best LB duo since Willis and Bowman. Don't @ me.
  • The ST Unit definitely needs to get their shit together, but one of those blocked kicks was due to the Broncos player illegally jumping over the line (not allowed a running start). In any case, Tucker is still the GOAT even with the announcers trying to jinx him all game (also, one of those dumb fucks called him "Jason Tucker").
  • It's been pretty great watching WRs that can actually catch the ball. Night and day with the way this offense looks from last year (running game still needs to improve, but hasn't been a big issue yet).
  • One more note on ST: Tim White looked a lot more comfortable fielding punts than Grant did. Not once was I worried about White turning the ball over during a return and he still had some decent returns. They definitely made the right move there.
  • Mark Andrews is already a beast and he's only going to get better. Good luck to teams trying to stop him and Hurst.
  • Run defense was solid, but still could do better. The Freeman and Sanders TDs were both atrocious.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
The two glaring issues are Carr and Peanut ( played better but he's easy to pick on in coverage). Jimmy better be in the best condition of his life for all the crap he's put us through. I still think CJ is iffy for the steelers game and more likely for the browns.

I believe Henry, Hurst, CJ will all be back for the titans game.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
  • Kenny Young continues to impress. When Mosley is healthy, this has the potential to be the best LB duo since Willis and Bowman. Don't @ me.
  • The ST Unit definitely needs to get their shit together, but one of those blocked kicks was due to the Broncos player illegally jumping over the line (not allowed a running start). In any case, Tucker is still the GOAT even with the announcers trying to jinx him all game (also, one of those dumb fucks called him "Jason Tucker").
  • It's been pretty great watching WRs that can actually catch the ball. Night and day with the way this offense looks from last year (running game still needs to improve, but hasn't been a big issue yet).
  • One more note on ST: Tim White looked a lot more comfortable fielding punts than Grant did. Not once was I worried about White turning the ball over during a return and he still had some decent returns. They definitely made the right move there.
  • Mark Andrews is already a beast and he's only going to get better. Good luck to teams trying to stop him and Hurst.
  • Run defense was solid, but still could do better. The Freeman and Sanders TDs were both atrocious

I disagree with your first point. Patrick Willis and Bowman pre-injury were both better than either one of CJ or Kenny BUT they'll be our best partnership since Daryl Smith and CJ.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
I disagree with your first point. Patrick Willis and Bowman pre-injury were both better than either one of CJ or Kenny BUT they'll be our best partnership since Daryl Smith and CJ.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to say that they would be a better duo, but the best duo since those two were playing together (if that makes sense). Willis and Bowman were the best in the league during their prime.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yeah, I wasn't trying to say that they would be a better duo, but the best duo since those two were playing together (if that makes sense). Willis and Bowman were the best in the league during their prime.

Kenny needs to start making plays in coverage ( a couple of picks etc) and keep his excellent tackling for loses on point. ( if he wants to win DROTY).

I'd like to see that aspect of his game come about. Having said that, Bart Scott was no ball hawk but he stuck to his man like glue. I'd be delighted if we had a new bart scott( most underrated ILB of his generation along with Daryl smith).

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
  • Run defense was solid, but still could do better. The Freeman and Sanders TDs were both atrocious.
Sorry but what the fuck are you talking about? The White I saw returning punts is way different than your description. He wouldn’t even freaking get close to the ball. Grant is 100% more comfortable fielding punts he’d just fumble after the fact. White is afraid to even catch it because he’s so worried he’s gonna muff it.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
Sorry but what the fuck are you talking about? The White I saw returning punts is way different than your description. He wouldn’t even freaking get close to the ball. Grant is 100% more comfortable fielding punts he’d just fumble after the fact. White is afraid to even catch it because he’s so worried he’s gonna muff it.

I guess it's just me, but I thought he looked solid when he did decide to field the ball. He still needs to work on it, but I never felt like he was a ticking time bomb back there like with Grant.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Precisely. Just like in the preseason. New PR please and thanks.
I said when we cut grant that it was a stupid kneejerk move. The ravens have done very well reforming guys with fumbling issues over the years, we have a firmly entrenched history of it dating back to ray rice who had fumbling issues in college, jacoby Jones, and most recently Alex Collins. Idk why Harbaugh doesn’t just doghouse him for a few weeks and make him work hard at it. Cutting him is way unnecessary

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm calling PFF out on kenny youngs grading so far.
RANK NAME TEAM # DEFENSE RUN DEF COVERAGE PASS RUSH TOTAL SNAPS RUN DEF SNAPS COV SNAPS PASS RUSH SNAPS STATUS

38 Kenny Young BLT 40 Grade: 62.7

Basically in the Yellow zone.