• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Good, The Bad, and The Steelers Defense

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
exactly. I loved him as a SS and honestly thought he had potential to go down as an all time great at SS and I felt this VERY STRONGLY just from college tape, that’s how good he was, but he didn’t play the ball well and when he moved to corner he was 100% about jamming a guy into the bleachers before the 5 yard holding Mark, and he did it very frequently, however, when he ended up having to go downfield he was often trailing and just using length and athleticism to get in the way, he always had good positioning and stayed stuck to his man, but he wasn’t looking back for any throws.

Sounds familiar...
and if you recall, he wasn't that good the first 8 to 10 weeks. He started to come on towards the end of yr 1

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
There’s a reason people thought he was more of a safety until his last year. Amazing talent though. Ramsey is one of the best I’ve ever scouted and he’s remarkably improved in the NFL.
exactly

Tank

Hall of Famer
Just saw another replay of the Jefferson strip of McDonald. Not only Did Big Mac get stripped, but CJ blew him up with a crushing block as he got up to chase Tony. Why haven’t we seen that highlight as much as his stiff arm against Tampa Bay? lol

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
There’s a reason people thought he was more of a safety until his last year. Amazing talent though. Ramsey is one of the best I’ve ever scouted and he’s remarkably improved in the NFL.
people thought that cause he actually player S his first year and a half for FSU

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
people thought that cause he actually player S his first year and a half for FSU
Yes and he did very well there despite having very little turnovers for such an impact player, there’s a reason he was one of the best college safeties we’ve ever seen yet he forced almost no turnovers, because he wasn’t adept at playing the ball. Like Derwin James who is purely a safety and more naturally a SS, had much better ball skills in college than Ramsey had, for example.

Do you think you’re telling us something we don’t know? Like I’m not even trying to be a dick here lol, Idk how long you’ve been posting with us but I personally have been posting with this group since 2010 and a lot of us have been here just as long, we were studying Ramsey heavy because he and bosa were the favorites around here and they seemed within reach. All of us on the old boards had studied jimmy and Torrey extensively back in 2011 and we were all hype as fuck because we knew what they offered and they were probably the 2 favorite prospects. We all watched Ramsey’s whole career and studied him extensively, we know what he did in college. This tradition goes back a very long ways and we all saw eachother posting about these prospects before they became pros.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Yes and he did very well there despite having very little turnovers for such an impact player, there’s a reason he was one of the best college safeties we’ve ever seen yet he forced almost no turnovers, because he wasn’t adept at playing the ball. Like Derwin James who is purely a safety and more naturally a SS, had much better ball skills in college than Ramsey had, for example.

Do you think you’re telling us something we don’t know? Like I’m not even trying to be a dick here lol, Idk how long you’ve been posting with us but I personally have been posting with this group since 2010 and a lot of us have been here just as long, we were studying Ramsey heavy because he and bosa were the favorites around here and they seemed within reach. All of us on the old boards had studied jimmy and Torrey extensively back in 2011 and we were all hype as fuck because we knew what they offered and they were probably the 2 favorite prospects. We all watched Ramsey’s whole career and studied him extensively, we know what he did in college. This tradition goes back a very long ways and we all saw eachother posting about these prospects before they became pros.
im not saying he didnt know it! I was saying it in a way trying to smart. Secondary is my fav pos and what i study the most! ill go with my knowledge of the position over anyone ever! if you did or whoever studied ramsey how you say,idk how most of you were satisfied with taking stanley over ramsey.. tbh honest with you, i used to type in “ ravens message board” and just read what everyone says since like 2013 but never created an account! I was never into message boards but i noticed that most of you have more sense than these fake ass experts. i was here though when ramsey was drafted. wanted him more than ever. i love cbs for their ball skills and instincts so idk how you feel he didnt have any. Now if you were to say he had them but needed to be worked would make more sense. When hump come out, i swear i dont remember anyone other than myself and someone else( i dnt remember)talking about the fact that he doesnt get his head around.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer

For the record, idc about you being a dick lol.. its dam near impossible to get mad or hurt my feelings.. ive been corrected by you and rossi plenty of times, especially with me getting “ instincts” and “ awareness” mixed up with one another..

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
For the record, idc about you being a dick lol.. its dam near impossible to get mad or hurt my feelings.. ive been corrected by you and rossi plenty of times, especially with me getting “ instincts” and “ awareness” mixed up with one another..
Good on you, some people are way too sensitive smh

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
im not saying he didnt know it! I was saying it in a way trying to smart. Secondary is my fav pos and what i study the most! ill go with my knowledge of the position over anyone ever! if you did or whoever studied ramsey how you say,idk how most of you were satisfied with taking stanley over ramsey.. tbh honest with you, i used to type in “ ravens message board” and just read what everyone says since like 2013 but never created an account! I was never into message boards but i noticed that most of you have more sense than these fake ass experts. i was here though when ramsey was drafted. wanted him more than ever. i love cbs for their ball skills and instincts so idk how you feel he didnt have any. Now if you were to say he had them but needed to be worked would make more sense. When hump come out, i swear i dont remember anyone other than myself and someone else( i dnt remember)talking about the fact that he doesnt get his head around.
You’re misunderstanding the whole thing.. first of all, I was on Ramsey’s train long before he was the most hyped prospect, when I told people in 2015 I liked him over bosa I was given a mountain of shit for it. I didn’t want Stanley over Ramsey but the trajectory they were on and the state of our franchise, it looked like Stanley was a better fit because our secondary is elite and the OL isn’t and Stanley was looking like he was gonna be an elite LT really up until this year. Is Stanley a better player? Fuck no, value? Fuck no, talent? Fuck no. Does he fill a bigger void? Absolutely.

And yes we had a problem with Humphrey’s deep ball, but tell me how many corners come out of college naturally with great ball skills and ability to turn their heads... not many. Vernon Hargreaves had some of the best ball skills for a corner prospect and look how he turned out. Truly elite ball skill corners with size and the athleticism and skill to mirror receivers don’t come around that often, hell pat Pete doesn’t even fill all the blanks. The total package for athleticism, skill, and ball skills was marshon lattimore, Marcus Peters to an extent also, nearly all corners have shortcomings, and turning your head is something that believe it or not a lot of guys develop, jimmy was worse than Humphrey turning his head in his early years and he was exposed in coverage far more often than Humphrey has been.

That’s the problem I have with your opinion on humphrey, it comes with a bottom line that he’s maxed out and will never develop, and it comes with the bottom line that if you aren’t perfect then you aren’t good.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
And that’s cool lol I just want you to know that while I disagree with you I still respect your opinion because you’re really on here trying to have quality discussion and not being a Winchester or Danny D. I’m just trying to get you to see another side of the argument with Humphrey because you’ve been on a crusade against him since you started posting here, like you have a personal problem with the guy lol

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
You’re misunderstanding the whole thing.. first of all, I was on Ramsey’s train long before he was the most hyped prospect, when I told people in 2015 I liked him over bosa I was given a mountain of shit for it. I didn’t want Stanley over Ramsey but the trajectory they were on and the state of our franchise, it looked like Stanley was a better fit because our secondary is elite and the OL isn’t and Stanley was looking like he was gonna be an elite LT really up until this year. Is Stanley a better player? Fuck no, value? Fuck no, talent? Fuck no. Does he fill a bigger void? Absolutely.

And yes we had a problem with Humphrey’s deep ball, but tell me how many corners come out of college naturally with great ball skills and ability to turn their heads... not many. Vernon Hargreaves had some of the best ball skills for a corner prospect and look how he turned out. Truly elite ball skill corners with size and the athleticism and skill to mirror receivers don’t come around that often, hell pat Pete doesn’t even fill all the blanks. The total package for athleticism, skill, and ball skills was marshon lattimore, Marcus Peters to an extent also, nearly all corners have shortcomings, and turning your head is something that believe it or not a lot of guys develop, jimmy was worse than Humphrey turning his head in his early years and he was exposed in coverage far more often than Humphrey has been.

That’s the problem I have with your opinion on humphrey, it comes with a bottom line that he’s maxed out and will never develop, and it comes with the bottom line that if you aren’t perfect then you aren’t good.
thats always been my only problem with hump. Majority of the time he is always in position but just cant seem to get his head around. if i call hump trash, i dont mean it literally cause i know he is a decent player and is only gonna get better.. If tucker misses a fg, i will call him trash but we all know he is the goat. I think ive seen yanda get beat once by geno and i called him trash too lol.... now flacco ass, he does some trash shit on a consistent basis

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
And that’s cool lol I just want you to know that while I disagree with you I still respect your opinion because you’re really on here trying to have quality discussion and not being a Winchester or Danny D. I’m just trying to get you to see another side of the argument with Humphrey because you’ve been on a crusade against him since you started posting here, like you have a personal problem with the guy lol
Yea i feel you. Idk if you ever notice but most of the time even if i disagree with someone i still like or agree with the comment to just show acknowledgement. Anyway,If hump wasnt on the ravens i wouldnt be so hard on him but since he is i can never let him off the hook.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i think marcus peters was the first corner i ever studied who i had absolutely no doubts about - watching him i 100% knew he was gonna be a brilliant nfl corner

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
i think marcus peters was the first corner i ever studied who i had absolutely no doubts about - watching him i 100% knew he was gonna be a brilliant nfl corner
I had concerns about him playing too risky. He is as much a ballhawking corner as anyone I had ever seen, if you throw his way he’s getting hands on it, but he was wildly undisciplined with his route jumping, like if he sees your feet chopping 10 yards out he’s jumping it every time lol. I liked peters a lot and I was pissed he went just a few picks before us because I really thought we were gonna end up getting him.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Absolutely loved Ramsey and watched his film in college. I also liked Bosa and quite frankly Bosa was my top pick, then Ramsey. I also liked Stanley. Would I have taken Ramsey over Stanley, without a doubt. We also wouldn’t have Humphrey, who is a very good qb and would be without a left good left tackle. There really haven’t been many decent left tackle classes since that draft.

Btw, Ramsey didn’t turn his head in college. It’s clear in all his film.