• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Good, The Bad, and The Steelers Defense

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
We looked great despite the fumble, wish some of those field goals would of been TDs, but I’ll take that victory over the Steelers on prime time tv and on the road. Onto the Browns and Manziel on the road..
Uhhh Manziel gone lol. Mayfield is no slouch though. Our defense better bring it against this dude.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Without that fumble this could have been a blowout.

and the flacco miss to crabtree on a jailbreak
all that needed to happen for crabtree to jog in for a huge gain (and probable TD) was skura to hold up a fraction of a second longer - the defender got a well timed punch at the end of the play that rocked him into flacco just as he released the ball and stopped his follow through and mechanics were slightly off hence the wobble on the ball and the slight overthrow

it does show you how much better flacco is reading the field though even though he missed the throw

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Titans fair play dont look like much but through 4 weeks they have clearly been the best coached of any team in the league - in successive weeks they've knocked off the Jags and the superbowl champions in tough ugly games that they had no right to win...

mike vrabel has been great for them
They remind me of us from 2016-2017. Stout defense, offense that just doesn’t work. Their rushing attack across the board is dismal.

I could see them sneak a wild card spot but I think we are a better team. Beating them on the road won’t be easy but I think we are a much more complete team.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Gotta give it to Don Martindale. Outside of that one TD drive he was great vs the team who might have the best offense in the league. Glad to say I was wrong

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Gotta give it to Don Martindale. Outside of that one TD drive he was great vs the team who might have the best offense in the league. Glad to say I was wrong

what was great was that he diagnosed the problem and yes we got lucky with a couple of drops in the 2nd half but for the most part we changed the way we played defence - we blitzed differently, we covered differently etc.

the thing i liked was we got beat twice by poorly disguised safety blitzes that sent weddle round the edge and on one of them it was incredibly obvious because tavon dropped deeper just before the snap and dropped into a cover 2 with jefferson - but it meant that weddle was easy for the back to pickup and it left our linebackers stranded or it left the slot wide open

in terms of offence though - the steelers have all the weapons to turn this offence into an absolute world-beater but their coordinator isnt maximising their talent with the scheme and big ben seems to have regressed

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The good: while crabtree drops too many balls, John Brown is not only a great complementary piece... he's a legitimate number 1 wide receiver in this offence - he was getting double coverage on so many snaps and was still beating double teams - if joe haden hadnt had an excellent game then john brown might have gone for over 200 yards and a couple of tds

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
The good: The Ravens WIN in pittsburgh and in primetime!

The bad: Flacco missed a wide open Crabtree and that Collins fumble, No pass rush!

The ugly: The Ravens self-inflicted wounds that allowed them back in the game in the first place.

GO RAVENS!

Both coardinators called a good game. Wink had a much harder job so I’ll give him more credit. Outside of the lack of tds I was also kinda disappointed we didn’t get smokey more involved.

Still blown away by that play by Tony. It set the stage for an absolute rout but of course Collins had to fumble at the one.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The good: The Ravens WIN in pittsburgh and in primetime!

The bad: Flacco missed a wide open Crabtree and that Collins fumble, No pass rush!

The ugly: The Ravens self-inflicted wounds that allowed them back in the game in the first place.

GO RAVENS!

In terms of the pass rush - the steelers OL was holding on almost every play and the Ravens still nearly got home over and over - Tim Williams came to play today and made Ben uncomfortable and im glad he got the sack for his day's work - Sizzle looked pretty good today too just got doubled (and sometimes double held) on most plays

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Both coardinators called a good game. Wink had a much harder job so I’ll give him more credit. Outside of the lack of tds I was also kinda disappointed we didn’t get smokey more involved.

Still blown away by that play by Tony. It set the stage for an absolute rout but of course Collins had to fumble at the one.

smokey was the centrepiece of our offence today - yes he only had 3 receptions but he consistently drew double teams and still beat them and he was targeted a few times that maybe in other games the defence gets called for holding or DPI - it took an incredible play by joe haden to stop him scoring another 30+ yard TD bomb

and his deep speed and clever route running is opening up the field for crabtree and especially willie snead (who fyi looked like he was purpose built for destroying the steelers - also felt like he'd been playing in this matchup for years)

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
In terms of the pass rush - the steelers OL was holding on almost every play and the Ravens still nearly got home over and over - Tim Williams came to play today and made Ben uncomfortable and im glad he got the sack for his day's work - Sizzle looked pretty good today too just got doubled (and sometimes double held) on most plays
Timmy is a damn good edge rusher, possibly pro bowl caliber. The numbers are going to come through soon enough. Add in the absurd depth behind him there and holy fuck. This defense might very well be an elite unit if it continues to grow. Outside of one drive they played a phenomenal game.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
The really good bit after we win in Pittsburgh is always their forum:

Kodiak
Post subject: Re: Reg. Season # 4: Steelers vs. Ravens I Game Comments
Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:05 pm
icon_user_offline.gif

file.php

steelsmitty wrote:
Maybe shelve renegade for the season

I vote for Nirvana's "Rape Me"

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Wink is really showing why he's a huge upgrade over Pees. He figures out the problem and makes adjustments. It's no accident we don't allow second half touchdowns.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Timmy is a damn good edge rusher, possibly pro bowl caliber. The numbers are going to come through soon enough. Add in the absurd depth behind him there and holy fuck. This defense might very well be an elite unit if it continues to grow. Outside of one drive they played a phenomenal game.

i think that by the end of the year Timmy is starting at OLB in everything but name

The good - I’ll say it every time we going into the 4th and hold a lead unlike last year where games would slip awayespecially in Pittsburgh.

It’s amazing how much more creative Marty looks when he actually has some weapons at his disposal.

Tucker is the fucking bomb. Kid Dynamite

The bad - that Collins fumble. He didn’t go to the dog house but Buck got red zone and game closing carries. Harbs is not trusting him

The ugly - he’s always ugly but today Bens play was a little ugly. He just didn’t look himself tonight and we rarely get to say that after a game at Heinz

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor

I know! I saw Suggs getting held but my thing is why aren't the other guys getting to the QB?

Got to give credit where credit is due. Offensive line played one hell of a game pass protection wise. Another shout out to Maxx Williams, did his thing in blocking and contributed on some catches and kept fighting for extra yards. Special shout out to him.