• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Good, The Bad, and The Steelers Defense

rossihunter2

Staff Member
joe flacco threw to 11 different receivers today...
7 different receivers caught 2 or more passes

we're spreading the ball around - we've got a pick your poison type offence

but at the moment the key elements are John Brown, Willie Snead and the tight ends (today it was Maxx, last week it was Mark Andrews, week 1 it was nick boyle)

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The bad - that Collins fumble. He didn’t go to the dog house but Buck got red zone and game closing carries. Harbs is not trusting him

we're thin at running back - we miss kenneth dixon as that safer option if collins does disappoint who can also be a workhorse runner who makes guys miss

buck allen is a good change of pace type back in our offence but he's not a guy id want leading the ravens in carries unless we're in salting the game away mode (which he is really crazily good at)

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer

but at the moment the key elements are John Brown, Willie Snead and the tight ends (today it was Maxx, last week it was Mark Andrews, week 1 it was nick boyle)
And Crabtree will likely get going sooner rather than later too... And then we get Hayden Hurst back. I am convinced that Crabtree will bounce back. Remember, Smith Sr. had the dropsies when he got here too.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer

It's also what I've been saying since the off season(though John Brown has proved himself to be an NFL #1 WR). We don't have elite guys, but we have several that can play and play well. Hayden Hurst coming back is going to be a problem, and if Flacco is on his A-game, this passing attack could be potent. The run game still concerns me however. We need to find a full-on bell cow RB. We probably should've picked up Adrian Peterson in the offseason smh.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Got to give credit where credit is due. Offensive line played one hell of a game pass protection wise. Another shout out to Maxx Williams, did his thing in blocking and contributed on some catches and kept fighting for extra yards. Special shout out to him.
If the price is reasonable, I'd like to sign Maxx in the offseason. The dirty work he does is so underappreciated.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
It's also what I've been saying since the off season(though John Brown has proved himself to be an NFL #1 WR). We don't have elite guys, but we have several that can play and play well. Hayden Hurst coming back is going to be a problem, and if Flacco is on his A-game, this passing attack could be potent. The run game still concerns me however. We need to find a full-on bell cow RB. We probably should've picked up Adrian Peterson in the offseason smh.
that was a great signing by the skins. Great signings rarely happen in DC.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
If the price is reasonable, I'd like to sign Maxx in the offseason. The dirty work he does is so underappreciated.
Honestly, he might get paid. His numbers don't show it, but he's a #1 TE. Easily better than Boyle.

We're four deep at TE, four at WR, have two good RBs. Flacco is salavating. We need another good RB too at this rate. I want us to see what De'Lance Turner can do.

Defense needs no introduction. It's a top 3 unit right now for my money.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Honestly, he might get paid. His numbers don't show it, but he's a #1 TE. Easily better than Boyle.

We're four deep at TE, four at WR, have two good RBs. Flacco is salavating. We need another good RB too at this rate. I want us to see what De'Lance Turner can do.

Defense needs no introduction. It's a top 3 unit right now for my money.
I disagree that we need a bell cow RB, we can live with a good rotation, but not saying that having one wouldn't be a good thing.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
what was great was that he diagnosed the problem and yes we got lucky with a couple of drops in the 2nd half but for the most part we changed the way we played defence - we blitzed differently, we covered differently etc.

the thing i liked was we got beat twice by poorly disguised safety blitzes that sent weddle round the edge and on one of them it was incredibly obvious because tavon dropped deeper just before the snap and dropped into a cover 2 with jefferson - but it meant that weddle was easy for the back to pickup and it left our linebackers stranded or it left the slot wide open

in terms of offence though - the steelers have all the weapons to turn this offence into an absolute world-beater but their coordinator isnt maximising their talent with the scheme and big ben seems to have regressed

Grass is always greener. Remember the hate Haley got? Pretty sure they miss him in Pitt.

sizzle and big ben swapped jerseys:

this is oddly really nice from ben...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BoYJRE_AFwF/?utm_source=ig_twitter_share&igshid=e5inm5fzbwip

Nice. Just realized he came in the league a year before Ben. Each has seen the other rise and they probably really respect each other. Going to be odd when both of them are gone. Holy shit, Flacco, Yanda and Koch are the only other pieces from when the rivalry truly meant something.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I imagine maxx will come cheap - his main value comes from his versatility - he’s the ultimate number 3 style of tight end - I’d imagine we’ll keep one of Boyle and maxx at the end of the year and I personally hope it’s maxx but we’ll see
i agree that he will come reasonable. don't think he will get paid. he hasn't shown enough, plus he's an injury risk.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
Tim white had a huge catch on the third down. James Hurst fucked up Tj watt all game he looked great. Again. I don’t want him gone just Lewis. Brown might still be too raw we don’t know all but I do want him eventually obviously

Willie Snead what a fucking guy he’s a third down beast. Brown is amazing. Crabtree I think will be okay but I’m loving the other two

Def pressure was kinda shit but I’m proud of marlon he played great. The one td was rough but when your playing the Steelers in Pitt in a big game and that’s the only big play ab gets.. give me that all year

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Tim white had a huge catch on the third down. James Hurst fucked up Tj watt all game he looked great. Again. I don’t want him gone just Lewis. Brown might still be too raw we don’t know all but I do want him eventually obviously

Willie Snead what a fucking guy he’s a third down beast. Brown is amazing. Crabtree I think will be okay but I’m loving the other two

Def pressure was kinda shit but I’m proud of marlon he played great. The one td was rough but when your playing the Steelers in Pitt in a big game and that’s the only big play ab gets.. give me that all year
Orlando Brown imposed his will on the steelers for a few of the chances he got. We need to move Hurst back to LG even after the excellent game and put in Brown at RT. This rushing attack needs to get going. We have the backs, get the blockers now

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
Maybe, but we got to get a deal done with C.J soon and John Brown is a must keep. There's no way we can let him walk.

Probably should consider Brown a must keep if we are keeping Flacco. If the Ravens are starting Lamar next season I am not sure Brown is all that essential.