• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Good, the Bad, and the Harbaugh

Tank

Hall of Famer
I wish we had start him sooner. He did say that he was still grasping the playbook so that played a roll in things, outside of that it makes no sense.

Skura is hot garbage and needs to be replaced. I don’t think Bozeman can be worse at this point. Seriously.
It's puzzling how they didn't learn a lesson from the Gino/Zuttah years.

I'm memeing
Phew ...

“I mean, it’s competition,” Harbaugh said. “By virtue of the circumstance, I think [Brown has] wedged his way into that conversation. That’s a good thing for us.”

So .. he's in the conversation ... but he's only there by "virtue of the circumstance" (Hurst having been hurt), not by the fact that it should have been obvious that he's a better option.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Do you think Flacco is improving? I think he’s getting worse. He’s never had this many passes deflected at the LOS and his balls have been more and more floaters than before. He’s always struggled hitting guys in stride so that’s nothing new. He thrived with Smith drawing DPI and he hasn’t really shown that SB performance since.

I’d love nothing more than for Flacco to play well so don’t get me wrong. I’m not a blind hater here but he is not and hasn’t been playing well for years. He had some good games this year I’ll admit that. The problem is those are gone. Sure we can say it’s OL but he has had a fair share of clean pockets. OL or not though he’s not getting it done. He’s got to go after this year as far as I’m concerned. I wish that good Joe Flacco would come back because I miss that guy but I think he made some satanic pact or went Super Saiyan because he’s MIA and his picture should be on the back of a milk carton.
Yes and no. I think he has looked more experienced and poised at times this year and second half of last year, also has been more in tune and hitting receivers in stride like Brown, Snead, Moore and Andrews. I do think however he fell back a bit after getting smashed up, getting happy feet, maybe not being as patient and progressing through reads properly at times, which also may account for the "floaters" you mention.
The tipped passes are somewhat puzzling but one of the announcers(forget who) a few games ago spoke about the offensive lineman's job to try to keep passing lanes clear and also to engage lineman in a way to keep them from raising their arms.

Sooky

Pro Bowler
I honestly feel like the creativity of the offense is gone. The first few weeks we saw tight ends exposing the middle of the field when John Brown took the top off of defenses. But teams are realizing taking Brown out of the game shrinks the field and they make the team dink and dunk through Crabtree and Snead. Flacco was throwing off his back foot a lot last game because of the lack of a clean pocket. I don't know why every year it seems like the offense is pulling out of its vanilla rut and then finds its way back. Makes me wonder if the players cannot handle a difficult offense.

If the Ravens lose to the Bengals I think the season is over especially with them not having AJ Green likely against the team. I think that the AFC doesn't have much talent that the Ravens could somehow find their way into the playoffs even if they lose to the Bengals but at that point the team doesn't look like it can hang with any other playoff team. Even being a Flacco supporter for so long I think it should be Lamar Jackson time if they lose to the Bengals so the team can see what they have in him. I thought the defense was getting younger but the team has shown that some players have lost a step and the team needs to get younger leaders.

With how much talent there is on this defense it should be playing way better. It should be getting off the field on third and long but I feel like even if it is third and 18 anymore I still have that gut feeling that the teams will convert because corners are playing way off of receivers a lot of the time a lot like they did in 2014.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yes and no. I think he has looked more experienced and poised at times this year and second half of last year, also has been more in tune and hitting receivers in stride like Brown, Snead, Moore and Andrews. I do think however he fell back a bit after getting smashed up, getting happy feet, maybe not being as patient and progressing through reads properly at times, which also may account for the "floaters" you mention.
The tipped passes are somewhat puzzling but one of the announcers(forget who) a few games ago spoke about the offensive lineman's job to try to keep passing lanes clear and also to engage lineman in a way to keep them from raising their arms.
Yeah let’s talk about the OL. I actually mentioned earlier this season when the deflected passes first started that the OL should knock their arms down. Then I started watching for these deflected passes. Some can be given to the OL but we have a good OL coach and while I think you could throw that on the OL to an extent I don’t think it all goes on them. I’m thinking the floaters and deflected passes are related honestly. I agree with you that he’s started to hit guys in stride but it’s still not consistent and we’ve seen it this year with guys especially lately.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I honestly feel like the creativity of the offense is gone. The first few weeks we saw tight ends exposing the middle of the field when John Brown took the top off of defenses. But teams are realizing taking Brown out of the game shrinks the field and they make the team dink and dunk through Crabtree and Snead. Flacco was throwing off his back foot a lot last game because of the lack of a clean pocket. I don't know why every year it seems like the offense is pulling out of its vanilla rut and then finds its way back. Makes me wonder if the players cannot handle a difficult offense.

If the Ravens lose to the Bengals I think the season is over especially with them not having AJ Green likely against the team. I think that the AFC doesn't have much talent that the Ravens could somehow find their way into the playoffs even if they lose to the Bengals but at that point the team doesn't look like it can hang with any other playoff team. Even being a Flacco supporter for so long I think it should be Lamar Jackson time if they lose to the Bengals so the team can see what they have in him. I thought the defense was getting younger but the team has shown that some players have lost a step and the team needs to get younger leaders.

With how much talent there is on this defense it should be playing way better. It should be getting off the field on third and long but I feel like even if it is third and 18 anymore I still have that gut feeling that the teams will convert because corners are playing way off of receivers a lot of the time a lot like they did in 2014.
I’m not sure what’s going on with the defense but they couldn’t get off the field and it was killing them. I remember some plays over the middle and I feel like that could be a lazy explanation but it makes the most sense. I know Conner was just doing things against us he shouldn’t have done

Tank

Hall of Famer
Yeah let’s talk about the OL. I actually mentioned earlier this season when the deflected passes first started that the OL should knock their arms down. Then I started watching for these deflected passes. Some can be given to the OL but we have a good OL coach and while I think you could throw that on the OL to an extent I don’t think it all goes on them. I’m thinking the floaters and deflected passes are related honestly. I agree with you that he’s started to hit guys in stride but it’s still not consistent and we’ve seen it this year with guys especially lately.
I've always believed that if you get Joe out of rhythm he's sometimes not the same player. That seemed to improve early on, but getting smashed a few times lately seemed to affect him. I think he becomes tentative and unsure with his decisions. But if he get's a rhythm and flow going, or just plays with confidence he can hang with the best of them.

Last edited:

Sooky

Pro Bowler
I’m not sure what’s going on with the defense but they couldn’t get off the field and it was killing them. I remember some plays over the middle and I feel like that could be a lazy explanation but it makes the most sense. I know Conner was just doing things against us he shouldn’t have done
I honestly don't care that Conner had over 150 yards or whatever that is usually the team's go to plan to beat the Steelers is to let Bell run all over but limit Brown. I just cannot believe all the easy catches allowed in the middle of the field I feel like players aren't even in a good position or even trying to stay close to these receivers. I'm not sure if the team is playing more zone recently or something but they are getting knifed and it is not pleasant to watch. Makes me wonder if they have been going zone because of all the injuries.

Sooky

Pro Bowler
I've always believed that if you get Joe out of rhythm he's sometimes not the same player. That seemed to improve early on, but getting smashed a few times lately seemed to affect him. I think he becomes tentative and unsure with his decisions. But if he get's a rhythm and flow going, or just plays with confidence he can hang with the best of them.
I agree with this when at his best Flacco can be talked about being around quarterback 5-10 in the league easily. But the problem is some games it seems he has a lot of confidence and poise and other games he looks like he doesn't. I honestly cannot count how many games I have decided how bad the outcome would be BEFORE the game even starts based just off of how Flacco walks around pregame. I just cannot believe how inconsistent this offense is and I feel like every year there is something wrong. Now that the passing game is pretty good the team cannot for the life of them run on even trash defenses. And it is not like the Ravens have a bad o-line, when healthy they are probably around a middle of the pack offensive line around 10-15th in the league.

I honestly don't care that Conner had over 150 yards or whatever that is usually the team's go to plan to beat the Steelers is to let Bell run all over but limit Brown. I just cannot believe all the easy catches allowed in the middle of the field I feel like players aren't even in a good position or even trying to stay close to these receivers. I'm not sure if the team is playing more zone recently or something but they are getting knifed and it is not pleasant to watch. Makes me wonder if they have been going zone because of all the injuries.
We have not had nearly enough injuries on that side of the ball to make it an excuse. We're just playing poorly, and have failed to adjust to what teams are throwing at us.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Because every third down it seemed like we blitzed Mosley, the rush got nowhere, and even if it did it wouldn’t matter, because they just hit the soft spot Mosley left behind and the play was telegraphed from the start.

And sadly, dropping Mosley instead of blitzing him probably is just as ineffective because he has done pretty poorly in coverage this year

Tank

Hall of Famer
I agree with this when at his best Flacco can be talked about being around quarterback 5-10 in the league easily. But the problem is some games it seems he has a lot of confidence and poise and other games he looks like he doesn't. I honestly cannot count how many games I have decided how bad the outcome would be BEFORE the game even starts based just off of how Flacco walks around pregame. I just cannot believe how inconsistent this offense is and I feel like every year there is something wrong. Now that the passing game is pretty good the team cannot for the life of them run on even trash defenses. And it is not like the Ravens have a bad o-line, when healthy they are probably around a middle of the pack offensive line around 10-15th in the league.
Play calling has had a lot to do with it as well. I never understand why they don't go with more up tempo/no huddle/sugar huddle.

Sooky

Pro Bowler
Play calling has had a lot to do with it as well. I never understand why they don't go with more up tempo/no huddle/sugar huddle.
I mean if the Panthers can go no huddle and literally look like their offense is walking on water so can we. The Ravens in my opinion have a way better surrounding cast than the Panthers do.

And on the flip side of the defense.... I don't know why but I feel like the team needs to stop blitzing every play. Obviously it isn't working. Why don't we step back into throwing lanes more into coverage when it is 3rd and 6 and we know a quick slant is coming for a first down.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Per Zrebiec:
- The Ravens' 391 pass attempts are the most in the NFL, 28 more than the next highest team (Minnesota). Ravens one in a handful of teams to play 9 games, but that's still way too many pass attempts. They're not built to win that way at all.
- they are only 28th in yards per pass attempt (6.5). Obviously not a good ratio and this isn't a 2018 problem for Ravens. It's been a problem for several years.

Doesn't surprise me at all. We run 2x in the 2nd half against the Steelers. Flacco and Marty have to go. Flacco isn't the type of qb you will win with in today's NFL. We held both the saints and steelers well below their average points per game and we still can't win.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
I mean if the Panthers can go no huddle and literally look like their offense is walking on water so can we. The Ravens in my opinion have a way better surrounding cast than the Panthers do.

And on the flip side of the defense.... I don't know why but I feel like the team needs to stop blitzing every play. Obviously it isn't working. Why don't we step back into throwing lanes more into coverage when it is 3rd and 6 and we know a quick slant is coming for a first down.

The crazy thing is I think this started in recent weeks. I think we started sending heavy pressure against the Titans and have been trying since, but don't think they were sending that many early on. The pass rush has been inconsistent as hell since 14 and that's putting it nicely. I have no idea why the middle of the field is always so goddam open either. And are we sure that knee isn't still bothering CJ? Hasn't helped that Tim hasn't played and Henry is done, but still no excuse for this level play from the other guys.

Sooky

Pro Bowler
The crazy thing is I think this started in recent weeks. I think we started sending heavy pressure against the Titans and have been trying since, but don't think they were sending that many early on. The pass rush has been inconsistent as hell since 14 and that's putting it nicely. I have no idea why the middle of the field is always so goddam open either. And are we sure that knee isn't still bothering CJ? Hasn't helped that Tim hasn't played and Henry is done, but still no excuse for this level play from the other guys.
I just don't understand when you have Judon and Suggs who you obviously want to rush when they get an opportunity but they are both known to be able to cover and cover good ground in coverage. And if Mosley is really hurting they need to put Young in there because he has been alright! The team has been predictably bad on defense and every snap I swear we are rushing 6 or 7 and obviously the other 6 and 7 are struggling out there. I feel like Wink doesn't know what the definition of insanity sometimes.

Tank

Hall of Famer

Just a guess, but I think lately that has been driven by DB injuries and lack of confidence in the secondary, and obviously not being able to generate pressure with 4.

Last edited:

Tank

Hall of Famer
O line has been decent in pass pro, other than Skura who gets blown up regularly, horrible run blocking, like 32nd in the league. lol

Last edited:

rossihunter2

Staff Member
So no it’s too inconsistent to say but the one thing that was consistent is that our investment into offense is awful. Go look at who we have had over the past decade at the skill positions because it’s really sickening. I still maintain Joe Flacco is the biggest problem on this team because he has the potential to do great things but the guy just doesn’t consistently make it happen.

i did the maths on this in the offseason and the lack of investment on offence with draft picks (both high picks and picks in general) is stunningly uneven since joe's arrival - even with this draft included the picks would be imbalanced