• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Good, the Bad, and the Harbaugh

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
But Steve Smith retired. There was no “after” us because he retired. Kinda hard to really use him in any argument. Oher was OK at RT. He did great his first year and was OK after that. Whether that was due to constantly switching his position or not I don’t know. But I wouldn’t call him great I would just say he was available. That’s true on Wallace in his first year but his second year wasn’t and was more in line with his other years. Aiken is JAG but that’s a one year outlier.
Does it have to be after.. why can’t it just be comparing players in Baltimore to elsewhere? How they perform here compared to other teams? And oher was pretty damn solid when they let him play RT really up until the end when Monroe got here and he suddenly fell off a cliff

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
No to discredit what he did but that was an outlier. He’s never come close to doing that before or after
But the argument you tried to make is EXACTLY what this kind of thing disproves, he had 2 years here and in one he produced nearly 1k yards, call an outlier all you want but you say players produce better elsewhere and this is an example disproving that.

Boldin is really the only one

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Also, people complain about screens not working and lack of YAC. Some of that has to do with accuracy issues. You put the ball in the right spot and guys don't have to break stride. For screens, I don't think we've ever ran them well. It's sad that some of the biggest plays recently seem to have come from TE screens which doesn't make sense to me.
I’ll give you that, Flacco can’t hit screens for shit, all these years watching him force WRs to break stride and I’m convinced

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Does it have to be after.. why can’t it just be comparing players in Baltimore to elsewhere? How they perform here compared to other teams? And oher was pretty damn solid when they let him play RT really up until the end when Monroe got here and he suddenly fell off a cliff
Yeah, it has to be after because that’s the whole premise we’re discussing. I’ve quoted my original post for your convenience. If you want to argue what I said, then we have to argue exactly what I said without other additions else it becomes an entirely different discussion. Oher was OK. Maybe I’m remembering it differently and I could be wrong, but he progressively got worse here and only really did well during that legendary playoff run and his first year. So 2010 then was eh in 2011 and came back at the end of 2012 when we put him where he belonged and then 2013 was ugh with the whole OL. I thought Oher did better in CAR for a while before getting hurt? I know he had concussion issues or something.

But the argument you tried to make is EXACTLY what this kind of thing disproves, he had 2 years here and in one he produced nearly 1k yards, call an outlier all you want but you say players produce better elsewhere and this is an example disproving that.

My argument was guys on offense can leave and do better, which was an exaggeration in hindsight as I already admitted. Wallace did well his first year here then had an eh year and was gone and hasn’t done anything yet. Granted he’s been hurt but still. Boldin is the only one we can think of right now but it also applies to Watson and possibly Dickson but he’s honestly a stretch so I will go and look later when I have more time because I am curious. I simply exaggerated, as I already said. Not sure what else to say here. Guess a guy can’t be wrong. I only say that with sarcasm because you continue to hammer this when I’ve already admitted I exaggerated.

that's literally the point of the whole argument they are making
Yeah but I wouldn’t use Kamar Aiken. He had one year. It’s not like he came here and was productive before he came here and sucked after. I was trying to say guys came here after doing well, sucked or didn’t perform the same here, then left and performed well again. I wouldn’t put Aiken in that category.

Defenders rarely do better when they leave here. It’s mainly guys on offense who come here and don’t do as well and leave and do well. There’s only two constants there and that’s Joe and John. Joe must go but I’m not yet sure on John. I’m waiting to see how the year goes. While I think John could make the playoffs and stay, I also think he could make the playoffs and not deserve to stay. I need to see how the season plays out for him but I have seen all I need to see on Joe.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
That’s cool.
Boldin was injured much of 2012 playing through a meniscus tear until he finally took some time and got it trimmed.

that's literally the point of the whole argument they are making
So as promised I looked into the numbers. I’ll just say I was wrong about what I said regarding players on offense leaving and doing better. I won’t break down all the players but I can; however, I’m not one to refuse to admit when they’re wrong. I definitely exaggerated, as I previously said, with my comment. Tyrod probably played better when he left here but he didn’t get many chances to play here for obvious reasons. You could say guys like Deonte Thompson, Mark Clayton, Juszczyk, Boldin and Watson did better without Flacco but then you have guys like Jacoby Jones, Mason, and more who had a resurgence and were done after they left. I think it’s a wash and speaks more about our poor investment into the offense than anything.

So no it’s too inconsistent to say but the one thing that was consistent is that our investment into offense is awful. Go look at who we have had over the past decade at the skill positions because it’s really sickening. I still maintain Joe Flacco is the biggest problem on this team because he has the potential to do great things but the guy just doesn’t consistently make it happen.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Defenders rarely do better when they leave here. It’s mainly guys on offense who come here and don’t do as well and leave and do well. There’s only two constants there and that’s Joe and John. Joe must go but I’m not yet sure on John. I’m waiting to see how the year goes. While I think John could make the playoffs and stay, I also think he could make the playoffs and not deserve to stay. I need to see how the season plays out for him but I have seen all I need to see on Joe.
Step 1 for Harbaugh though would have been firing Marty today and installing Greg Roman as OC.

Man, I really thought that maybe the coaching staff knew something we didn't with Orlando Brown Jr not starting. It just didn't make sense but now I think it's downright arrogance on their part and It looks bad.

Notice how the run game improved with Orlando Brown Jr. in the line up. Hurst, while did a solid job in pass protecting, was a problem in the run blocking department along with Skura. I think Hurst would be better suited at LG honestly. I don't think Hurst is bad at RT but Zeus gives us some damn physicality that this OL needs in the worst way. I love how he plays with so much fire.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Man, I really thought that maybe the coaching staff knew something we didn't with Orlando Brown Jr not starting. It just didn't make sense but now I think it's downright arrogance on their part and It looks bad.

Notice how the run game improved with Orlando Brown Jr. in the line up. Hurst, while did a solid job in pass protecting, was a problem in the run blocking department along with Skura. I think Hurst would be better suited at LG honestly. I don't think Hurst is bad at RT but Zeus gives us some damn physicality that this OL needs in the worst way. I love how he plays with so much fire.
lol.....We have no idea of the circumstances that affected Brown’s status, but I guess when things are going bad the assumption is that someone screwed up. I will say that the couple of times I saw him at practices this summer he looked fit and quick. Love that he’s now got the chance to play. If we only had a 6’4” version of him to play center.

Last edited:

Tank

Hall of Famer
So as promised I looked into the numbers. I’ll just say I was wrong about what I said regarding players on offense leaving and doing better. I won’t break down all the players but I can; however, I’m not one to refuse to admit when they’re wrong. I definitely exaggerated, as I previously said, with my comment. Tyrod probably played better when he left here but he didn’t get many chances to play here for obvious reasons. You could say guys like Deonte Thompson, Mark Clayton, Juszczyk, Boldin and Watson did better without Flacco but then you have guys like Jacoby Jones, Mason, and more who had a resurgence and were done after they left. I think it’s a wash and speaks more about our poor investment into the offense than anything.

So no it’s too inconsistent to say but the one thing that was consistent is that our investment into offense is awful. Go look at who we have had over the past decade at the skill positions because it’s really sickening. I still maintain Joe Flacco is the biggest problem on this team because he has the potential to do great things but the guy just doesn’t consistently make it happen.
Funny you mention Tyrod because he’s on record saying Joe helped tremendously in his development and in fact kept in touch with him after leaving.

You’re certainly entitled to your opinion but facts like you discovered and other circumstances would say otherwise. Flacco’s play has certainly been inconsistent at times but IMO one could hardly say that he is the biggest problem with this team.

Last edited:

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Funny you mention Tyrod because he’s on record saying Joe helped tremendously in his development and in fact kept in touch with him after leaving.

You’re certainly entitled to your opinion but facts like you discovered and other circumstances would say otherwise. Flacco’s play has certainly been inconsistent at times but IMO one could hardly say that he is the biggest problem with this team.
Do you think Flacco is improving? I think he’s getting worse. He’s never had this many passes deflected at the LOS and his balls have been more and more floaters than before. He’s always struggled hitting guys in stride so that’s nothing new. He thrived with Smith drawing DPI and he hasn’t really shown that SB performance since.

I’d love nothing more than for Flacco to play well so don’t get me wrong. I’m not a blind hater here but he is not and hasn’t been playing well for years. He had some good games this year I’ll admit that. The problem is those are gone. Sure we can say it’s OL but he has had a fair share of clean pockets. OL or not though he’s not getting it done. He’s got to go after this year as far as I’m concerned. I wish that good Joe Flacco would come back because I miss that guy but I think he made some satanic pact or went Super Saiyan because he’s MIA and his picture should be on the back of a milk carton.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
And the Saints use Taysom sparingly in a manner that surprises opponents. Just so happens he had more plays(6) against the Ravens than any other game this year.
This is false. Prior to their game Sunday (I didn't watch it fully or take notes on Hill), the Saints had used Hill on an average of 11 snaps per game.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I don't really get the point of this argument, especially when I see names like Aiken, Reed (you trolling? Probably, knowing the OP), Marlon Brown. And then there's horrendous examples, like Steve Smith Sr (who had two straight 1,000 yard seasons when Cam first got into the league, btw. This wasn't some career revival in Baltimore).

When looking at guys like Aiken and Brown, they were products of opportunity and volume. In 2013, Brown was a featured aspect of the offense, and as such, he put up mediocre numbers. Then, in 2014 and 2015, still with the Ravens, he dropped into obscurity. No, he did not drop off because he went to another team. Look at Aiken- in 2015, he literally saw 83 targets in 8 games to close out the season, as opposed to just over 40 in the first 8 games. What happens in those final 8 games? He gets over 600 yards. And then a lot of us were pretty hyped for what he could do with Joe in 2016... and then he does absolutely nothing.

I think Mike Wallace is a pretty poor comparison because he did great in Pitt, and then played with two noodle armed quarterbacks. Although, I'd argue that being in Miami was great for his development because he got much better in the short and intermediate game. I mean, came to Baltimore as THE guy and had a quarterback with an arm. We can't really glean anything meaningful because he's on IR in Phili right now.

Maclin posted career worst numbers in Baltimore, so that is one person you definitely do not want to use to support your argument.

Jacoby stayed the course and was pretty much a mediocre receiver in Houston and in Baltimore.

Really, the best recent examples we have are gonna be Torrey falling off a cliff, Jensen having a pretty poor first season with the Bucs, KO making two Pro Bowls and a first team All-Pro, Rick Wagner pretty much being as consistent as he was in Baltimore, Boldin dropping off in Baltimore, but having a resurgence in SF, Watson in the same boat.

So what am I saying? There's really not a lot to gain from this argument because most of these guys either stayed the course or never had another chance after Baltimore. Pretty dumb argument, honestly.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Does anyone think the line will look like Stanley, Hurst, Bozeman, Yanda, Brown at any point this year? I think that may be our best option.

lol.....We have no idea of the circumstances that affected Brown’s status, but I guess when things are going bad the assumption is that someone screwed up. I will say that the couple of times I saw him at practices this summer he looked fit and quick. Love that he’s now got the chance to play. If we only had a 6’4” version of him to play center.
I wish we had start him sooner. He did say that he was still grasping the playbook so that played a roll in things, outside of that it makes no sense.

Skura is hot garbage and needs to be replaced. I don’t think Bozeman can be worse at this point. Seriously.

Charm City

Pro Bowler
What are the chances that we switch to a 4-3 defense if Harbaugh leaves. I know it's been said a lot here before, but it would suit our personnel pretty well. Having Bwill and pierce playing together getting double teamed while Twill and someone else rush would hopefully generate enough 1v1 situations to generate some semblance of a pass rush.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
What are the chances that we switch to a 4-3 defense if Harbaugh leaves. I know it's been said a lot here before, but it would suit our personnel pretty well. Having Bwill and pierce playing together getting double teamed while Twill and someone else rush would hopefully generate enough 1v1 situations to generate some semblance of a pass rush.
We already get tons of 1v1s but our guys just don’t beat them. We need new pass rushers plain and simple.

Tank

Hall of Famer
This is false. Prior to their game Sunday (I didn't watch it fully or take notes on Hill), the Saints had used Hill on an average of 11 snaps per game.
I only looked at rush attempts and targets, so my info may have been inaccurate.

I'm guessing that average you quote includes kick returns, not just offensive plays. He really has a different, more varied skill set from Lamar.