• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Good, the Bad, and the Harbaugh

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Because every third down it seemed like we blitzed Mosley, the rush got nowhere, and even if it did it wouldn’t matter, because they just hit the soft spot Mosley left behind and the play was telegraphed from the start.

And sadly, dropping Mosley instead of blitzing him probably is just as ineffective because he has done pretty poorly in coverage this year

well according to filmstudy we blitzed 15 times and the last time we blitzed in the game we sent tavon young and dropped michael pierce into coverage - who got roasted... we did not blitz again the rest of the game...

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I only looked at rush attempts and targets, so my info may have been inaccurate.

I'm guessing that average you quote includes kick returns, not just offensive plays. He really has a different, more varied skill set from Lamar.
No, just offensive snaps. They line him up literally everywhere.

Out wide, slot, wildcat, running back with Brees.

The issue lies more on the Ravens for not utilizing Lamar as more than a wildcat option. The Saints will put Hill out there and give 10 different looks. With the Ravens, you know it's a run out wide 99% of the time.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
The tipped passes are somewhat puzzling but one of the announcers(forget who) a few games ago spoke about the offensive lineman's job to try to keep passing lanes clear and also to engage lineman in a way to keep them from raising their arms.
I think it was 2012 when the Ravens got smashed by Houston and JJ had so many tipped passes. KO basically said, "What are you gonna do when they jump?"

My answer? Punch em in the gut. Make them scared to go up.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
well according to filmstudy we blitzed 15 times and the last time we blitzed in the game we sent tavon young and dropped michael pierce into coverage - who got roasted... we did not blitz again the rest of the game...
That wasn’t to be taken completely literally lol, what I was getting at is I saw Mosley with his nose in the A gap pre snap constantly, and every time I would say out loud “please don’t blitz Mosley” or “please drop Mosley” and every time he DID blitz and every time I called that, his would-be zone got exploited

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I think it was 2012 when the Ravens got smashed by Houston and JJ had so many tipped passes. KO basically said, "What are you gonna do when they jump?"

My answer? Punch em in the gut. Make them scared to go up.
That’s an old school move too, shits been used as long as DLs have been jumping

rossihunter2

Staff Member
That wasn’t to be taken completely literally lol, what I was getting at is I saw Mosley with his nose in the A gap pre snap constantly, and every time I would say out loud “please don’t blitz Mosley” or “please drop Mosley” and every time he DID blitz and every time I called that, his would-be zone got exploited

haha im agreeing that its ridiculous - we blitz from everywhere but qbs have worked out our tells and our scheme well enough that pre-snap they can figure out where the blitz is coming from and take advantage of the hole it creates (no matter whether its mosley or someone else)

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
i did the maths on this in the offseason and the lack of investment on offence with draft picks (both high picks and picks in general) is stunningly uneven since joe's arrival - even with this draft included the picks would be imbalanced
Yeah it’s really bad. Like I knew it was bad but then I Wikipedia’d the roster for those seasons and was disgusted by the names. Cringe-worthy

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
The Steelers game is really a chore to watch. Joe was not good in this game. He was bad. There are multiple examples of him staring down receivers in the most overt manner possible. Missing throws, missing reads...late on throws...balls being tipped, etc. It goes on and on and it's frustrating to watch.
On the play where he targets Crabtree in the 4th quarter on a cross he is late and indecisive getting the ball to the receiver. If he hits Crabtree as he turns off the line....Crab is looking for the ball...Crabtree splits the defenders and picks up the first. Joe also fails to see the curl defender break to cover Crabtree, leaving hurst wide open up the seam for a pitch and catch first down, leaving Hurst with one defender to beat....he likely scores. in any case, we settle for three points.