• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2024 NFL Draft General Discussion

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
There's never a guarantee anyone can play LT, but I think he's got a chance.

Looking at the last few drafts, it seems like that alone is enough to get players picked before #30. I don't need to bore you by listing them but I had a look at the OT prospects who have been picked in the teens and twenties over the last 5 years and I think Morgan is above average for that group.

In Free Agency, a lot of teams with Tackle needs seemed to take their other big needs off the board, as if clearing the way for an OT pick, which has me worrying that those 9 OL prospects might be off the board by 30.

I'm not saying Morgan is a special prospect, or that we need to jump far up the board to grab him. It's more that I think he might be the last decent OT prospect remaining, and, if he is, I wouldn't mind going up a few spots to select him.

OL has been a wasteland for years in the draft. Next year probably will be, too I'd be slightly disappointed if we came out of R1 with a corner or WR, just because those positions can be found every year.

This year's Rashawn Slater! I would love him at 30

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
right now this is my top 15 OL:

Top 10 grade:
1) Joe Alt (OT)
2) Olu Fashanu (OT)

Definite 1st round grade:
3) Troy Fautanu (OT and OG)
4) Amarius Mims (OT)
5) JC Latham (OT - possibly not LT)
6) Taliese Fuaga (OT and OG - possibly not LT)
7) Tyler Guyton (OT)

Late 1st round grade:
8) Graham Barton (5 position flex - possibly not LT)
9) Jackson Powers-Johnson (IOL)
10) Christian Haynes (OG)

Early 2nd round grade:
11) Kingsley Suamataia (OT and maybe OG)

2nd round grade:
12) Jordan Morgan (OT and OG - probably not LT)
13) Blake Fisher (OT)
14) Zach Frazier (IOL - possibly C only)
15) Patrick Paul (OT)
Surprised you don't have Beebe on this list. What is your reason for liking Haynes more than Beebe? I have them pretty close and tend to go back and forth.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Surprised you don't have Beebe on this list. What is your reason for liking Haynes more than Beebe? I have them pretty close and tend to go back and forth.

beebe is the 16th guy (just missed out on the list) - and may well creep back up - probably been the victim of recency bias with a few other guys - and tbh by the time we get to the draft i wouldnt be surprised if i prefer him to all the guys with 2nd round grades (especially someone like zach frazier who didnt test the way i expected)

but i love christian haynes - love the way he finishes, love his athleticism on the move, love his ability to torque with his core and with his functional flexibility especially on reach blocks etc.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
beebe is the 16th guy (just missed out on the list) - and may well creep back up - probably been the victim of recency bias with a few other guys - and tbh by the time we get to the draft i wouldnt be surprised if i prefer him to all the guys with 2nd round grades (especially someone like zach frazier who didnt test the way i expected)

but i love christian haynes - love the way he finishes, love his athleticism on the move, love his ability to torque with his core and with his functional flexibility especially on reach blocks etc.
thanks, I go back and forth with whether I like Haynes or Beebe more. I'd be happy with either one of them.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
@rossihunter2. Have to say I was disappointed with Fashanu's tape. I'm concerned with Fashanu's strength profile as he really struggled with power in college and that's only going to get worse in the NFL. There is no guarantee that his frame will Sure his movement ability, footwork, his ability to mirror and match defenders and ability to recognize stunts may be the best in the class, but again I go back to his strength profile and can't have him this high in my rankings. Watch his games against power guys and you will see him struggle, ie Ohio State.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
@rossihunter2. Have to say I was disappointed with Fashanu's tape. I'm concerned with Fashanu's strength profile as he really struggled with power in college and that's only going to get worse in the NFL. There is no guarantee that his frame will Sure his movement ability, footwork, his ability to mirror and match defenders and ability to recognize stunts may be the best in the class, but again I go back to his strength profile and can't have him this high in my rankings. Watch his games against power guys and you will see him struggle, ie Ohio State.

he had struggles against jt tuimolau for sure... so did joe alt - both just had some blips vs Ohio State

i dont think he's lacking strength or power, just think when he's getting beat by power it's more about being too upright in his stance - certainly not a perfect prospect at OT and will need to develop his technique but ive got no concerns with his physical profile (i think his functional strength is absolutely fine)

give him to stoutland or Joe D or Callahan (or one of the other premier OL coaches in the league) and he's gonna be awesome

the great thing about this OL class (especially at OT) is that not only are these guys all super physically talented, but they're all young guys with room to develop - Joe Alt and JC Latham probably are the two most "pro-ready" of the top guys but Fautanu, Mims and Fashanu are all effective guys with great traits and room to get better...

Guyton's got the best traits of the lot, but he's much more of a risk

Fuaga's the least impressive physically (and that's probably why a fair few are projecting him to guard) but is probably also the best run blocker of the bunch coming out... and I know that there are some evaluators who think he's OT1

can't really go wrong with any of those 7 guys where we're picking... but i doubt any of those guys get to where we're picking

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
he had struggles against jt tuimolau for sure... so did joe alt - both just had some blips vs Ohio State

i dont think he's lacking strength or power, just think when he's getting beat by power it's more about being too upright in his stance - certainly not a perfect prospect at OT and will need to develop his technique but ive got no concerns with his physical profile (i think his functional strength is absolutely fine)

give him to stoutland or Joe D or Callahan (or one of the other premier OL coaches in the league) and he's gonna be awesome

the great thing about this OL class (especially at OT) is that not only are these guys all super physically talented, but they're all young guys with room to develop - Joe Alt and JC Latham probably are the two most "pro-ready" of the top guys but Fautanu, Mims and Fashanu are all effective guys with great traits and room to get better...

Guyton's got the best traits of the lot, but he's much more of a risk

Fuaga's the least impressive physically (and that's probably why a fair few are projecting him to guard) but is probably also the best run blocker of the bunch coming out... and I know that there are some evaluators who think he's OT1

can't really go wrong with any of those 7 guys where we're picking... but i doubt any of those guys get to where we're picking
I know it's commonly mocked to us at this point, but I think we do end up with Jordan Morgan unless someone is a falling knife at this point. It could either be at pick 30 or a trade back, but I believe he will be there. I also have Morgan above Guyton and feel like Guyton is a big risk as well.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I know it's commonly mocked to us at this point, but I think we do end up with Jordan Morgan unless someone is a falling knife at this point. It could either be at pick 30 or a trade back, but I believe he will be there. I also have Morgan above Guyton and feel like Guyton is a big risk as well.

ive made it clear im not a fan of morgan that high

if those top 7 tackles are gone
would love it if we could land graham barton

would take suamataia probably over morgan albeit there's more projection involved with suamataia

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I really do think Graham Barton is my favourite of the realistic options for the Ravens
but I can't really tell if he's even a realistic option anymore lol

might be looking at 8 OL off the board before the ravens pick - if any of those 8 are available though... probably no brainer selections

rossihunter2

Staff Member
with the diggs trade feels like we could see a run on WRs potentially starting in the 20s, but if not probably right around when we're picking - teams behind us are either gonna need to jump up into the 20s (hopefully pushing guys at other positions down to us) or there's gonna be trade value with our pick at 30 (if our 1st round grades all get wiped out before we get on the board)

with at least 3 and probably 4 WRs gone before pick 20 there are significant needs for:
20 - Steelers
23 - whoever trades down out of the top 5 with the Vikings
28 - bills
32 - chiefs
33 - panthers
34 - patriots
35 - cardinals
37 - chargers
39 - panthers

obviously it's likely that a couple of those teams would have already picked up a guy earlier on in the draft but not all of them, also highly likely that for some teams that don't necessarily have desperate needs there will still be WRs they covet

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I really do think Graham Barton is my favourite of the realistic options for the Ravens
but I can't really tell if he's even a realistic option anymore lol

might be looking at 8 OL off the board before the ravens pick - if any of those 8 are available though... probably no brainer selections
seeing people all over the board on him. What do you like about him and what position do you see him playing. I know he has played LT and C at Duke, but many project him best at guard in the NFL due to his short arms. What is your take?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
seeing people all over the board on him. What do you like about him and what position do you see him playing. I know he has played LT and C at Duke, but many project him best at guard in the NFL due to his short arms. What is your take?

i dont think he's got short arms that necessarily mean he cant play tackle
i project him best inside but think he's probably got at least 4 but maybe even 5 position flexibility on the line - i do think guard probably is where he's best suited though to maximise his strengths

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
i dont think he's got short arms that necessarily mean he cant play tackle
i project him best inside but think he's probably got at least 4 but maybe even 5 position flexibility on the line - i do think guard probably is where he's best suited though to maximise his strengths
I think so as well. Think he could be a good guard at the next level as well.

How do you think the shake up with diggs being traded changed the first round in mocks

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
ive made it clear im not a fan of morgan that high

if those top 7 tackles are gone
would love it if we could land graham barton

would take suamataia probably over morgan albeit there's more projection involved with suamataia
I think we aren’t taking an OT in the first, a star caliber player is gonna fall to us because of the OTs, Cooper deJean or chop Robinson SIIE.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I think we aren’t taking an OT in the first, a star caliber player is gonna fall to us because of the OTs, Cooper deJean or chop Robinson SIIE.
I'm with you there. The more I look at the first round, the more I see someone falling right into our lap. Could even be a high end interior lineman. I could see us taking JPJ or even Barton at that point also.....if they fall to us. Currently JPJ is outside of the concensus top 25

rossihunter2

Staff Member

yeah im not sure any of the top OL make it to us and it would be a bit of a reach to take one of the next group without trading out (and while ive been team trade down most years... it's also true that most years since EDC's taken over we've sat and picked)
would be the classic reach for need and we literally never reach for need even when everyone thinks it makes sense - but also its possible the ravens have a big grade on someone we dont at OL

but im with you - idk who it is, but all we need is for a 5th QB to go in R1, or just 1 team ahead of us to pick someone weird and the we get a highly graded guy at a different position

the guy im wondering about a lot and would send much of the fanbase into meltdown, is edgerrin cooper - i wonder how high the ravens have him graded as a LB/pass rusher... idk how teams will see him but i also think he might have upside to be one of the best players in the class - i know we've got simpson waiting in the wings, but i also dont think it's necessarily unreasonable to think we could have cooper and simpson on the field at the same time with roquan...

that's if someone unexpected at another position doesnt fall

chop robinson's a good option
cooper dejean's another good option

really feels like we might be in prime position to take another DB

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
yeah im not sure any of the top OL make it to us and it would be a bit of a reach to take one of the next group without trading out (and while ive been team trade down most years... it's also true that most years since EDC's taken over we've sat and picked)
would be the classic reach for need and we literally never reach for need even when everyone thinks it makes sense - but also its possible the ravens have a big grade on someone we dont at OL

but im with you - idk who it is, but all we need is for a 5th QB to go in R1, or just 1 team ahead of us to pick someone weird and the we get a highly graded guy at a different position

the guy im wondering about a lot and would send much of the fanbase into meltdown, is edgerrin cooper - i wonder how high the ravens have him graded as a LB/pass rusher... idk how teams will see him but i also think he might have upside to be one of the best players in the class - i know we've got simpson waiting in the wings, but i also dont think it's necessarily unreasonable to think we could have cooper and simpson on the field at the same time with roquan...

that's if someone unexpected at another position doesnt fall

chop robinson's a good option
cooper dejean's another good option

really feels like we might be in prime position to take another DB
I will be sad if I wait 3 hours for our pick and it's a LB. But if he's good, I'll find a way to get over it

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
he's a LB in the mould of parsons though rather than a true every down off-ball guy
there's obviously significant projection involved (and he's not the prospect parsons was either)

i also have no idea how high teams will rate him
That sounds intriguing, I'll have to watch a little of him

Simba

Staff Member
he's a LB in the mould of parsons though rather than a true every down off-ball guy
there's obviously significant projection involved (and he's not the prospect parsons was either)

i also have no idea how high teams will rate him
That missed tackle rate though...