• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Lamar Jackson, the Cincinnati Bengals, and the Walt Coleman

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Here are some of my observations, they're worth not much but still more than Tony Lombardi:

1) The best throw of the game was Jackson to Snead on 2nd and 17 in our own territory. That was a huge momentum switcher and if I'm correct led to a TD drive that would put us right back in a tie with the Bengals. That Jackson-Snead connection looks real, we all knew Lamar liked the slant more than anything but both look on the same page and I'm eager to see what it will become in the future.

2) I understand it was the Bengals and Lamar's first game, but seriously, this much runs won't do every week. What would it have cost to get a screen to Ty Montgomery, or some rollouts to ensure easy completions? And for fuck sake, you got Hayden Hurst and Mark Andrews against Hardy Nickerson and a banged up Burfict, find something man, it's not hard!

3) Hats off to Humph for the best play of his career. One on one on an island against a natural man beater route, way to put your big boy pants and make yourself accountable.

4) I want Bozeman to replace Lewis.

it was the throw i keep going back to - it was perfect mechanically and the footwork and read and ball placement were all great which not only got yardage back (which is what you hoped for when backed up and behind the sticks) but converted on 2nd and 17 in 1 play...

more than half of lamar's targets in the bengals game went to willie snead + the huge conversion that got called back on the OPI on mark andrews

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
it was the throw i keep going back to - it was perfect mechanically and the footwork and read and ball placement were all great which not only got yardage back (which is what you hoped for when backed up and behind the sticks) but converted on 2nd and 17 in 1 play...

more than half of lamar's targets in the bengals game went to willie snead + the huge conversion that got called back on the OPI on mark andrews
Yup, and that's not accounting for Crabtree's 9 yard slant which could very well have been Snead instead. I'm just worried about Lamar's ability to hit outside throws but there's no denying the quality of his completions. I think Ravens fan will have to get used to a much more dink and dunk approach with Lamar because he's probably the exact opposite of Joe in terms of his passing style. Get ready for a lot of quick hitters, and 5 yard passes. Ironically I think Dalton is a good comp as a thrower to Lamar.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Yup, and that's not accounting for Crabtree's 9 yard slant which could very well have been Snead instead. I'm just worried about Lamar's ability to hit outside throws but there's no denying the quality of his completions. I think Ravens fan will have to get used to a much more dink and dunk approach with Lamar because he's probably the exact opposite of Joe in terms of his passing style. Get ready for a lot of quick hitters, and 5 yard passes. Ironically I think Dalton is a good comp as a thrower to Lamar.
That shot to Crabtree was beautiful. Tight little pocket in triple top down coverage and he squeezed it right in there

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
So I finally found the full replay of the game (could not watch live - work is overrated). Impressions:

1. Lamar was way better than what I could get from highlights and posts here. We all knew he is impressive as a runner but what really stands out is how quickly he processes reads to action and rarely fails to pick the right play. Stayed calm all game, no matter the score.

2. Anybody questioning his passing ability is straight up crazy or a troll. He threw some incredible balls into tight windows, from the pocket and on the move.

3. Gus Edwards is a huge upgrade over anybody we had since Ray Rice. He is hitting the smallest crease real quick and with purpose. Nice cut, too and not easy to bring down. I've had enough of tap dancing, allowing D to set the edge then running sideways for nothing. Gus and Lamar in tandem have the potential to become a real problem for any defense facing them.

4. O line had very good game across the board. C and LG can be improved but that was adequate against the more than decent front.

5. All corners were just terrific - Marlon, Jimmy, Tavon and particularly Carr.

6. Have noticed lot of Urban and Pierce up front and CJ in the middle.

7. Not sure why was everybody so pissed off with the refs. I did not notice anything blatant. 50/50 on that OPI on Andrews and dirty tackle on Lamar by Kirkpatrick but that's about it.

8. Edge rush desperately needed!

8. The last but not the least - WILLIE FUKEN SNEAD!!! 'nuf said.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
So I finally found the full replay of the game (could not watch live - work is overrated). Impressions:

1. Lamar was way better than what I could get from highlights and posts here. We all knew he is impressive as a runner but what really stands out is how quickly he processes reads to action and rarely fails to pick the right play. Stayed calm all game, no matter the score.

2. Anybody questioning his passing ability is straight up crazy or a troll. He threw some incredible balls into tight windows, from the pocket and on the move.

3. Gus Edwards is a huge upgrade over anybody we had since Ray Rice. He is hitting the smallest crease real quick and with purpose. Nice cut, too and not easy to bring down. I've had enough of tap dancing, allowing D to set the edge then running sideways for nothing. Gus and Lamar in tandem have the potential to become a real problem for any defense facing them.

4. O line had very good game across the board. C and LG can be improved but that was adequate against the more than decent front.

5. All corners were just terrific - Marlon, Jimmy, Tavon and particularly Carr.

6. Have noticed lot of Urban and Pierce up front and CJ in the middle.

7. Not sure why was everybody so pissed off with the refs. I did not notice anything blatant. 50/50 on that OPI on Andrews and dirty tackle on Lamar by Kirkpatrick but that's about it.

8. Edge rush desperately needed!

8. The last but not the least - WILLIE FUKEN SNEAD!!! 'nuf said.
People on here keep saying Gus is slow, but I swear that’s just not true. He has very good burst and he isn’t slow by any means. He’s more than quick enough to be a good RB.

And his vision on Sunday was nothing short of phenomenal. He did an absolute perfect job of finding running lanes every time there was even a sliver of space. His vision is 50x what Alex Collins’ is.

If he keeps that up then all aboard the Gus bus. Hopefully the coaching staff gives him a chance to string together some games so we can see if he might be the real deal.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
People on here keep saying Gus is slow, but I swear that’s just not true. He has very good burst and he isn’t slow by any means. He’s more than quick enough to be a good RB.

And his vision on Sunday was nothing short of phenomenal. He did an absolute perfect job of finding running lanes every time there was even a sliver of space. His vision is 50x what Alex Collins’ is.

If he keeps that up then all aboard the Gus bus. Hopefully the coaching staff gives him a chance to string together some games so we can see if he might be the real deal.
Yeah, there is nothing slow about Gus. He makes 3y through the hole before D figures out what happened and can react. Might have been the Bengals D but they historically played good run defense vs Ravens. They definitely missed big on LBs though.

I also forgot to give big props to Brown Jr. Zeus was a star on the O line in both pass pro and run. It's almost too good to be true but with might be sorted with top shelf tackles for about 10 years.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

went to lance zierlein's draft profile and found these bits and bobs:

first the athletic profile: Ran a 4.52 forty with a 34.5-inch vertical leap and 10-foot-3 broad jump

and then i enjoyed the weaknesses section:
  • Needs to press hole longer to set up his blockers. Needs to hit holes with more burst. Noticeable gear-down to make his cuts. Takes time to process and decide when reading the terrain in front of him. Lacks finesse in navigating tight quarters as interior runner. Tends to leave yardage on the field with some of his decision-making. Gets what's blocked rather than creating for himself. Has not been a factor in the passing game
because after 1 game it couldnt look more wrong

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
It's amazing how close the score was despite the fact that we outgained them 403-255 and dominated TOP 38:09-21:51.
Turnover on downs at midfield, int returned to our 30. Those 2 KILLED US. If lamar just runs out of bounds, and if Harbaugh realizes this is a field position/clock control/ defensive game and pins them deep from the 50, this game probably isn’t close, because they couldn’t drive on us, they only scored on short fields.

But I think lessons were learned there, what lamar felt after they scored that TD after the pick, I’m sure he never wants to feel again, and as a good decision maker and hard worker I imagine he’s gonna make a change. Turn your Ls into Lessons young buck

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Turnover on downs at midfield, int returned to our 30. Those 2 KILLED US. If lamar just runs out of bounds, and if Harbaugh realizes this is a field position/clock control/ defensive game and pins them deep from the 50, this game probably isn’t close, because they couldn’t drive on us, they only scored on short fields.

But I think lessons were learned there, what lamar felt after they scored that TD after the pick, I’m sure he never wants to feel again, and as a good decision maker and hard worker I imagine he’s gonna make a change. Turn your Ls into Lessons young buck

their other td came after a long kick return as well

Cause some here are Flacco fans disguised as Ravens fans. I've been saying this for years and been called crazy and a hater...
I understand a sense of loyalty to Joe. After all he’s the best QB this franchise has ever seen ... by like a fucking lot.

I stuck up for him somewhat vehemently at times in recent years because I felt he had legit reasons for his lack of productivity. But it’s time to acknowledge those reason are becoming excuses and they are running out. The organization has signaled its time to move on. It’s time we move on along with them.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I completely forgot to take this into account with the gameplan - but what's even more impressive about lamar is that he played that well despite being in the hospital on thursday and missing the most important practices of the week (redzone drills etc.) - thursday is when they do all the high-leverage stuff and he was ill enough he had to go to hospital

i wonder if that affected the gameplan and the playcalling on sunday