• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Hamilton, The Injuries and The Self-Inflicted Wounds

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I’m not a stat or film guy, but i hear people repeatedly poo poo on PFF. Regardless it gives a sense of hope that we’ll be alright until Linderbaum comes back.
I don't really like PFF, personally, but they're an available resource that at least tries to do more than say, "Well, the eye test says he played well." They at least try to quantify it. But, if you watched and thought he played well and it lined up with PFF... That's two people saying he played well, so it's probably true.

Sooky

Pro Bowler
I know Lamar isn’t playing his best ball and is heavily criticized right now. With the injuries all around and implementation of a new offense and new weapons, the team has been in position to win each game. Watching Hurts, Allen, Burrow, and others play bad as well, I haven’t heard nearly the criticism.

Michael M.

Pro Bowler
I know Lamar isn’t playing his best ball and is heavily criticized right now. With the injuries all around and implementation of a new offense and new weapons, the team has been in position to win each game. Watching Hurts, Allen, Burrow, and others play bad as well, I haven’t heard nearly the criticism.
Because people on this forum aren't emotionally invested in them.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
1. Lamar hasn’t been bad, played well for the most part, he’s just not playing at a top tier level. Really I think Lamar is the punching bag for people who are frustrated with the offense because we were told a new OC and WR corps would fix our problems. Spoiler alert: neither are true. We know Lamar’s ceiling, just gotta try to find a way to keep a decent team around him and hope the stars align because he’s not a Qb that carries a team, but can be very dangerous in the right situation.
2. Hurts has continued to play well in a system that really suits him. Not sure why so many Ravens fans are threatened by him. I imagine mostly just haters/jealousy because Hurts is viewed as more successful having been to a Super Bowl.
3. Burrow is injured , clearly this isn’t the real Joe Burrow.
4. Allen had a rough game 1, looks just fine since. Continues to get his team to the playoffs and plays well in those games , therefore given more slack than Lamar

Last edited:

Tank

Hall of Famer
1. Lamar hasn’t been bad, played well for the most part, he’s just not playing at a top tier level. Really I think Lamar is the punching bag for people who are frustrated with the offense because we were told a new OC and WR corps would fix our problems. Spoiler alert: neither are true. We know Lamar’s ceiling, just gotta try to find a way to keep a decent team around him and hope the stars align because he’s not a Qb that carries a team, but can be very dangerous in the right situation.
We don't need for Lamar to be the best, don't need highlight reel plays every set of downs. What we do need is for him is to take better care of the football and show better situational awareness. And as he said himself during his post game interview, he needs to be better at taking what the defense is giving him.

GodIsGreat

Veteran
Lamar hasn’t been bad, played well for the most part, he’s just not playing at a top tier level. Really I think Lamar is the punching bag for people who are frustrated with the offense because we were told a new OC and WR corps would fix our pr
lamar been playing top tier level not sure what you are watching but film dont lie
Hurts has continued to play well in a system that really suits him.
yeah and we see even in a similar system with a new oc even hurts looks likes theres a way to go
row is injured , clearly this isn’t the real Joe Burrow.
He tweaked his calf late in the ravens game but thats the excuse, so what about lamar missing two of his top line man, a 15mil wr and the other injuries the ravens have had?
We know Lamar’s ceiling,
What qb has carried his team? he wins 75% and has had the least help of any top qb

Sooky

Pro Bowler
2. Hurts has continued to play well in a system that really suits him. Not sure why so many Ravens fans are threatened by him. I imagine mostly just haters/jealousy because Hurts is viewed as more successful having been to a Super Bowl.
4. Allen had a rough game 1, looks just fine since. Continues to get his team to the playoffs and plays well in those games , therefore given more slack than Lamar
1. Lamar has been efficient. I think the team has lacked passes past 10 yards this past week and week 1. Last week makes sense with the injuries, but I’m concerned this will be a trend with Monken.

2. Hurts hasn’t played well. I’ve watched all 3 games and he has made awful decisions that have resulted in 3 picks (which should’ve been more) and a fumble. He is more successful getting to a SB but I’m not jealous about it. I’m annoyed because Swift is the reason they have won 2 of their 3 games.

3. Burrow is injured yes, but someone that’s been talked up as he has this past offseason with the best WR core in the league should be putting up more than 17 PPG this season (so far).

4. Allen has been overhated this off-season. It really does feel like hero ball most weeks. Which Lamar has been doing most his career up until 3 games ago you can argue. But yet again injuries riddle the team.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
I disagree on Lamar being able to carry a team while praising Hurts. With what Hurts has he hasnt played close to what fans expect of our own guy. I think if squads were flipped people would have much different perspectives of both qbs. And I'm sick and tired of that bullshit sneak they run. Coach also has a real punchable face even though I'm sure many feel that way about Harbaugh.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I disagree on Lamar being able to carry a team while praising Hurts. With what Hurts has he hasnt played close to what fans expect of our own guy. I think if squads were flipped people would have much different perspectives of both qbs. And I'm sick and tired of that bullshit sneak they run. Coach also has a real punchable face even though I'm sure many feel that way about Harbaugh.
Does feel really weird to praise Hurts. I can tell you that Eagles fans that I've seen aren't happy with Hurts as a passer. Obviously still doing enough as a runner, but they feel he still hasn't shown his capabilities as a passer this season.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
lamar been playing top tier level not sure what you are watching but film dont lie
Yea he hasn’t, but he’s been good enough all things considered. Especially with a new OC and a lot of new players. Injuries of course not helping. He needs to elevate his play if we’re going to make a legitimate SB run.
He tweaked his calf late in the ravens game but thats the excuse, so what about lamar missing two of his top line man, a 15mil wr and the other injuries the ravens have had?
He was carted off the field in July. Injury clearly more serious than a tweak, but we won’t know until the off season.
2. Hurts hasn’t played well. I’ve watched all 3 games and he has made awful decisions that have resulted in 3 picks (which should’ve been more) and a fumble. He is more successful getting to a SB but I’m not jealous about it. I’m annoyed because Swift is the reason they have won 2 of their 3 games.

3. Burrow is injured yes, but someone that’s been talked up as he has this past offseason with the best WR core in the league should be putting up more than 17 PPG this season (so far).
Burrow is clearly injured. He may have some great WRs but he also had one of the worst Olines in history and went to a SB. No team is perfect and everyone has weak spots that they have to deal with. Some fans(not saying you)conveniently leave that out when comparing Lamar to other QBs. They’ll go to nauseating lengths to beat up other QBs will performing some amazing mental gymnastics to avoid any criticism of Lamar/make excuses . Leather taste good kind of situation

I think Hurts is fine. He wouldn’t be my first choice to start a team, but he’s clearly a top ten QB now. I also really hate that push. Rugby is a great sport , but leave it there . sounds like it will be gone in the off-season.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
I really hope they ban the push this off-season.

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler
I don't. They can't ban it just because it's unstoppable for one team. Every other team gets nowhere when they try it.

It's just a play like any other. They'd need to ban the O Line getting behind a runner downfield, TEs dragging receivers over the goal line, and other fun plays if they ban that one.

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler
Does feel really weird to praise Hurts. I can tell you that Eagles fans that I've seen aren't happy with Hurts as a passer. Obviously still doing enough as a runner, but they feel he still hasn't shown his capabilities as a passer this season.
I think the real brains of the operation in Philly (other than Howie Roseman) was coaching Indie on Sunday.

I wonder if someday a team will promote the great coordinator and get rid of the head coach? Atlanta and Washington let Shanahan and McVay walk to keep head coaches who got fired within few years. They must be regretting it now.

The Ravens might be in the same situation themselves with MacDonald in the off season. Being a DC might help him stick around a year or 2 longer but he's too good to stick here long.

I'd like the Ravens to make MacDonald an EDC-type offer, where they guarantee he's going to be the next HC and raise his salary. That would keep Harbaugh on his toes too, knowing his replacement is waiting if things go downhill.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I think the real brains of the operation in Philly (other than Howie Roseman) was coaching Indie on Sunday.

I wonder if someday a team will promote the great coordinator and get rid of the head coach? Atlanta and Washington let Shanahan and McVay walk to keep head coaches who got fired within few years. They must be regretting it now.

The Ravens might be in the same situation themselves with MacDonald in the off season. Being a DC might help him stick around a year or 2 longer but he's too good to stick here long.

I'd like the Ravens to make MacDonald an EDC-type offer, where they guarantee he's going to be the next HC and raise his salary. That would keep Harbaugh on his toes too, knowing his replacement is waiting if things go downhill.
And that's a fair assumption because Eagles fans are a lot more optimistic that Hurts turns it around than Brian Johnson.

But fun fact about Washington. They formerly had Mike McDonald, Sean McVay, Kyle Shanahan, and Mike Lafluer all on the same coaching staff. Talk about mismanagement of talent to let all four leave the organization and not win a damn thing with all four in the building.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Up until 2006 assisting the runner/pushing the runner was illegal, for some reason they adjusted the rule.

Rule 12, Section 1, Article 4—OTHER PROHIBITED ACTS
No offensive player may:
(a) pull a runner in any direction at any time; or
(b) use interlocking interference, by grasping a teammate or by using his hands or arms to encircle the body of a teammate; or
(c) trip an opponent; or
(d) push or throw his body against a teammate to aid him in an attempt to obstruct an opponent or to recover a loose ball.

Penalty: For assisting the runner, interlocking interference, tripping, or illegal use of hands, arms, or body by the offense: Loss of 10 yards.

I agree, it's a bullshit play and they need to enforce the rule the way it was originally written. Football ain't rugby.

Tank

Hall of Famer
It's just a play like any other. They'd need to ban the O Line getting behind a runner downfield, TEs dragging receivers over the goal line, and other fun plays if they ban that one.
Per the rules some of these plays are already banned.