• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Good, The bad and the Ugly - Raiders Edition

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I’m not saying I agree with it all the time, but for extremely run heavy game plans, I have no problem with Boyle taking a lot of the snaps.
For extremely run heavy game plans that often have a pass option, I’ll take a 2 way TE even if the blocking is average, I don’t mean pitiful blocking, I mean something that works enough to convince a team we’re running and to have an actual blocker and not a turnstile.

Nick Boyle makes defenses key in on the run more than maybe any TE in the league lol. I want a TE that can at least take advantage, Boyle will at best bring a first down on a surprise shot as he struggles to haul his gigantic ass shoulderneck any further than 10 yards. I believe strongly that Andrews will learn to block at least enough, and hurst is already an excellent blocker and has sprung at LEAST one play a week since he’s returned, every second effort run or YAC play that ends up breaking another 5-10 yards by surprise, can often be traced back to hurst making a key block in space

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
For extremely run heavy game plans that often have a pass option, I’ll take a 2 way TE even if the blocking is average, I don’t mean pitiful blocking, I mean something that works enough to convince a team we’re running and to have an actual blocker and not a turnstile.

Nick Boyle makes defenses key in on the run more than maybe any TE in the league lol. I want a TE that can at least take advantage, Boyle will at best bring a first down on a surprise shot as he struggles to haul his gigantic ass shoulderneck any further than 10 yards. I believe strongly that Andrews will learn to block at least enough, and hurst is already an excellent blocker and has sprung at LEAST one play a week since he’s returned, every second effort run or YAC play that ends up breaking another 5-10 yards by surprise, can often be traced back to hurst making a key block in space

Will learn means he hasn't and once he does maybe the question of playing time can be challenged more but until then he is a massive dropoff as a blocker

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Will learn means he hasn't and once he does maybe the question of playing time can be challenged more but until then he is a massive dropoff as a blocker
yes, this is true of andrews, but hurst has already become a pretty good blocker

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I've seen a lot with football fans but the Nick Boyle hate is one of the most stupid things I've seen. When you have a good football player you let him play. And sorry, Nick Boyle is a good player. He's one of the best TE2 in the league. And if you want to create a narrative that he's stealing snaps to promising rookies, well sorry but that is false. It's not like 2017 ZDS. Hurst and Andrews are getting a lot of snaps for rookie TEs and if they're not used more on said snaps, that's not on Boyle.
And finally, if you want to criticize his receiving skills, which I mildly disagree with but let's not care about that, why wouldn't you criticize Pat Ricard more? Because he's literally a worse Nick Boyle.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
I've seen a lot with football fans but the Nick Boyle hate is one of the most stupid things I've seen. When you have a good football player you let him play. And sorry, Nick Boyle is a good player. He's one of the best TE2 in the league. And if you want to create a narrative that he's stealing snaps to promising rookies, well sorry but that is false. It's not like 2017 ZDS. Hurst and Andrews are getting a lot of snaps for rookie TEs and if they're not used more on said snaps, that's not on Boyle.
And finally, if you want to criticize his receiving skills, which I mildly disagree with but let's not care about that, why wouldn't you criticize Pat Ricard more? Because he's literally a worse Nick Boyle.
I agree with your ricard boyle comparison. Nick Boyle knows what he does and is good at it. I'd rather have him as FB than ricard and use hurst and andrews as actual TEs and thats why I give credit to Marty for bringing back the full house backfield. It opens up a ton of different concepts especially with lamar under center. I would also like to see a pony backfield (I believe thats how filmstudy called it) with Montgomery as rb and edwards as upback

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’m good with Boyle but I think it’s hate because of 1.) the suspensions, 2.) the fact that we’re perceived as predictable with him in the formation, 3.) he is “stealing” snaps from guys like Hurst or Andrews

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I agree with your ricard boyle comparison. Nick Boyle knows what he does and is good at it. I'd rather have him as FB than ricard and use hurst and andrews as actual TEs and thats why I give credit to Marty for bringing back the full house backfield. It opens up a ton of different concepts especially with lamar under center. I would also like to see a pony backfield (I believe thats how filmstudy called it) with Montgomery as rb and edwards as upback
Montgomery is the truth man, this dude is going to be so good alongside Lamar. If the coaching staff can be just a little creative he'll be one of the cornerstone of this offense.

I’m good with Boyle but I think it’s hate because of 1.) the suspensions, 2.) the fact that we’re perceived as predictable with him in the formation, 3.) he is “stealing” snaps from guys like Hurst or Andrews
I can only agree with the suspension part. I've answered part 3, as for part 2, well if you can have the defense key in on the run just by having this guy on the field, I'd say that's a huge win, especially when you can get the LBs to flow to the LoS when your QB is more confortable throwing it over the middle. In fact, just having Boyle on the field can give huge opportunities for the other TEs on the field, so Andrews and Hurst should be happy about it. For fuck's sake, the Raiders LB is Tahir Whitehead, Jason Cabinda and Marquel Lee. My goodness you get them to have one false step and Andrews/Hurst should kill them one on one coverage. If the coaching staff can't realize that I'm sorry don't blame it on Boyle.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Montgomery is the truth man, this dude is going to be so good alongside Lamar. If the coaching staff can be just a little creative he'll be one of the cornerstone of this offense.

I can only agree with the suspension part. I've answered part 3, as for part 2, well if you can have the defense key in on the run just by having this guy on the field, I'd say that's a huge win, especially when you can get the LBs to flow to the LoS when your QB is more confortable throwing it over the middle. In fact, just having Boyle on the field can give huge opportunities for the other TEs on the field, so Andrews and Hurst should be happy about it. For fuck's sake, the Raiders LB is Tahir Whitehead, Jason Cabinda and Marquel Lee. My goodness you get them to have one false step and Andrews/Hurst should kill them one on one coverage. If the coaching staff can't realize that I'm sorry don't blame it on Boyle.
I don’t necessarily disagree. I think people are hating on Boyle because as you said the coordinating and plays called moreso than the player himself. He’s just the recipient