• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Next Up: @Falcons

Who SHOULD start at QB for the Ravens @ Falcons

• Lamar Jackson

Votes: 36 85.7%
  • Joe Flacco

Votes: 6 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Wow, I wonder who the two people are that voted for flacco!! Such a mystery!!

If Joe is 100% then I would put him back at the starting role. If not then Lamar. For me it comes down to putting the ball in the air and I have to take into the account the level of competition as well. For me I would like to see a 100% Joe Flacco in but everyone knows a Joe Flacco who is not 100% is worse then not having Joe. From here on out things are going to get tougher and you need to put the ball in the air.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Also, who's giving us a 2nd for Flacco? Smith had one of his best seasons last year. We can't compare the trades. I think we can get a pick, but teams know we don't need him. KC played that situation real well last year.
They also got fuller, who is one of the best slot corners in the league.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Teams know we don’t need him but teams still need a qb and all it takes is for 2 teams to be interested.

I don’t think he gets us a 2nd, but I do think he gets us a third.

Also, you can compare Smith to Flacco and their recent success, but there is good reason to think Flacco is a better qb than smith, mainly his ability to use the entire field where smith just can’t, teams with great deep threats will want joe more than smith.
I agree, Flacco will net us a 3rd round pick.

why would the last 5 games change his value when he played the first 9 though?
I do think that sitting him the remainder of the season does decrease his value - that is, if the other option is he finishes strong, we get to the playoffs and then he plays like January Joe in the postseason.

The reason it makes a difference is that people will see that he's still capable of that - and it has been a long time since he's shown that. I believe teams will feel like he's not capable of recapturing that type of play.

However - if we play him and he plays poorly and we fail to make the postseason, it will potentially further devalue him.

All that said - enhancing Joe's trade value is not the primary objective here ...

If Joe is 100% then I would put him back at the starting role. If not then Lamar. For me it comes down to putting the ball in the air and I have to take into the account the level of competition as well. For me I would like to see a 100% Joe Flacco in but everyone knows a Joe Flacco who is not 100% is worse then not having Joe. From here on out things are going to get tougher and you need to put the ball in the air.
For me, it comes down to being able to grind out yards and clock with a ground game, but hit some passes in spots. When Flacco has been under center, we've had the worst ground game (avg per carry) in the NFL. We know that Joe has always been a QB that needs a ground game to complement him. The inability to run prompts Marty to call yet another one if his 50+ pass play games. We know how well that works toward getting a W. Not very well.

I’m really interested to see what team he goes to next year (probably). I’m hoping it’s not a team I dislike so I can also root for him when he leaves.
I'm hoping for the NFC. Well, like them or not, perhaps the same team that traded for Smith? Particularly if he ends up retiring. Regardless, he won't be on the field for the start of the 2019 season for sure.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
It would kind of suck for us, but I can't begrudge him his retirement, if that's what he wants to do. Now, if he retires ... then later comes out of retirement, I'd be a little pissed.
Wouldn’t we still maintain his rights as a player?

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
I think Joe Flacco should be the starting quarterback if he is healthy enough to play ..He is the better quarterback honestly. Lamar Jackson has done well though .

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I think Joe Flacco should be the starting quarterback if he is healthy enough to play ..He is the better quarterback honestly. Lamar Jackson has done well though .
Maybe that is true at this point as a passer, but the overall offense functions better, atleast the last couple weeks, under Lamar due to being able to run the ball efficiently.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
It’s a tough choice between Joe and Lamar because this would be Lamar’s first true road game as he’s had two in a row against bad teams at home. That said, Falcons also have a bad defense and I could see this as a prime opportunity to try to get Lamar going. It’s also a dome so for that reason I would actually start Lamar and give Joe more time. Let him get some practices under his belt and come back into form. I think you could see early Joe if we do it right and I think that could lead to major postseason success if we can make it.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
It’s a tough choice between Joe and Lamar because this would be Lamar’s first true road game as he’s had two in a row against bad teams at home. That said, Falcons also have a bad defense and I could see this as a prime opportunity to try to get Lamar going. It’s also a dome so for that reason I would actually start Lamar and give Joe more time. Let him get some practices under his belt and come back into form. I think you could see early Joe if we do it right and I think that could lead to major postseason success if we can make it.
I don't know about that, especially if Jackson gets a start in Atlanta and we somehow win.
Who in their right mind would then give Flacco the start again?
As far as hostile environments on the road go, there's nothing in the NFL of which Lamar hasn't seen much worse in college.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don't know about that, especially if Jackson gets a start in Atlanta and we somehow win.
Who in their right mind would then give Flacco the start again?
As far as hostile environments on the road go, there's nothing in the NFL of which Lamar hasn't seen much worse in college.
To each his own, no worries. I can see the case for sticking with Lamar, too; I just think I would rather let Joe get right and stack good practices than prematurely rush him back. I’d rather save Joe for a game against say KC or even TB than ATL. Honestly though there’s a case to just ride it out with 8 and I’m good with that too. Right now I want to rest 5 and let 8 play this game and take it week to week