• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Biggest Needs and Prospects to Address Them

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I’m pretty bad at scouting safeties too, I actually have backed off on Thompson a little bit because I see him getting very aggressive on short routes and play fakes when he’s supposed to be in single deep, idk if I should knock him for that or not lol
You'd need to know the play call to be sure, I guess.
I still don't like him for the Ravens. Would rather try to pick up someone in FA.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
You'd need to know the play call to be sure, I guess.
I still don't like him for the Ravens. Would rather try to pick up someone in FA.
You, of all people, don’t like Deionte Thompson for us? I’ve backed off slightly but still like him a lot for us considering he definitely has the range for single high and that’s essentially what we have lacked terribly, we need a safety who isn’t a step late on every play

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
You, of all people, don’t like Deionte Thompson for us? I’ve backed off slightly but still like him a lot for us considering he definitely has the range for single high and that’s essentially what we have lacked terribly, we need a safety who isn’t a step late on every play
That's exactly why I'd wait and pick up Xavier McKinney in 2020 if we can. Heaps better ball skills, faster, better tackler and can cover like a corner.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Draft Network has the most and best quality content. Draftwire may have some articles fitting your request

Thanks. I'll check them out. Forgot there was pro ball on today and the WR from Ariz St isn't playing and I've heard he's pretty damn good. I like to see guys like this actually play a full game and with the way we're going forward I would have also studied his blocking ability.

Edit: This is a great website. Perfect for my needs. Typed in search for Ariz St. Shows me all the draftables. Only thing is I'm gonna have to find some good tape On Harris. Really stinks that players are now deciding to sit out bowl games but I have to say its understandable. From what I read this guy could really fit our needs.

Last edited:
My gut tells me the ravens will let John brown walk and draft Marquise Brown in the high teens or wherever they end up picking.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
I really think we need to put a bigger emphasis on drafting WRs. Especially with Lamar as our QB. Any other position would probably love to join our team via free agency. The WR position will not until Lamar proves he can be a efficient passer.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think top pick has to be a pass rusher on the edge. I wouldn’t take any OL at our pick at present and I feel we are missing that lethal pass rusher on the edge. You need two things in this league and it’s a QB and someone to get to the QB. We need that second guy because we have Lamar. I think we can get our C in the 3rd or maybe 2nd in a trade up, but my top picks would be Edge then C, WR, or coverage LB.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I really think we need to put a bigger emphasis on drafting WRs. Especially with Lamar as our QB. Any other position would probably love to join our team via free agency. The WR position will not until Lamar proves he can be a efficient passer.
we need to take scouts off of other teams FO staff who are good at drafting WRs, like the Steelers and Giants.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I think top pick has to be a pass rusher on the edge. I wouldn’t take any OL at our pick at present and I feel we are missing that lethal pass rusher on the edge. You need two things in this league and it’s a QB and someone to get to the QB. We need that second guy because we have Lamar. I think we can get our C in the 3rd or maybe 2nd in a trade up, but my top picks would be Edge then C, WR, or coverage LB.
Presently that is a big need, but we may also need to replace CJ Mosely in the offseason unless we decide to franchise or extend him.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Presently that is a big need, but we may also need to replace CJ Mosely in the offseason unless we decide to franchise or extend him.
I think Mosley gets extended after we use the money from cutting Weddle and trading Joe to keep him. Weddle has really fallen off and I initially thought he could stick around but not anymore. The guy is a liability.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I need to watch more on this guy, but he is my choice of skyrocketing value as the draft approaches and also looks like possibly the best fit for lamar.

JJ Arcega-Whiteside. The lack of hype around this guy is surprising.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I’m not too big on this edge class early on, it’s all athletes who need work. Montez sweat has improved his game, as he uses his length a whole lot better than a year ago, but aside from that you have polite and burns who I’m not sure I want in the mid first. Truthfully I like Chase Winovich better than either and he might be a guy we can get with a massive, like 20 spot trade back to get us a whole bounty of picks for this year and even next maybe. I’m also quite fond of Oshane Ximines who looks like the kinda small school guy Eric jumps on.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’m not too big on this edge class early on, it’s all athletes who need work. Montez sweat has improved his game, as he uses his length a whole lot better than a year ago, but aside from that you have polite and burns who I’m not sure I want in the mid first. Truthfully I like Chase Winovich better than either and he might be a guy we can get with a massive, like 20 spot trade back to get us a whole bounty of picks for this year and even next maybe. I’m also quite fond of Oshane Ximines who looks like the kinda small school guy Eric jumps on.
I’m a fan of Winovich as well but I really am starting to like Ferrell. He plays violently with his hands from the games I’ve watched and I like how he bends the edge. I certainly like him better than Sweat and Allen right now. I fear Allen only does well when unblocked as I didn’t see him beat blocks enough. Sweat can beat blocks but I’m worried he’ll get washed out against stronger tackles as a pro. I feel Ferrell can do both well.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Ximines would be a good trade down target. Grabe Ximines in the 2nd and then someone like Willekes in the middle of the draft. It would instantly turn our weakness into a potential strength.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I’m a fan of Winovich as well but I really am starting to like Ferrell. He plays violently with his hands from the games I’ve watched and I like how he bends the edge. I certainly like him better than Sweat and Allen right now. I fear Allen only does well when unblocked as I didn’t see him beat blocks enough. Sweat can beat blocks but I’m worried he’ll get washed out against stronger tackles as a pro. I feel Ferrell can do both well.
Ferrell is a little too high and tight for my liking and doesn’t disengage in times where I feel he has perfect opportunities to. I think he’s been overhyped because Clemson DL.

Also with Brian burns he has no motor and gives up on a lot of plays, and he seems to lack the ability to chain together rush moves, he just isn’t cerebral or intuitive at all, he often has brilliant initial moves to give himself an advantage and fails to capitalize, he’ll have a nice first step, get a perfect swat or extension with the inner arm, and then fail to bend and get that corner, and he has the bend ability to do it he just doesn’t. He’s frustrating.

Jachai polite I really like, a lot, but when it’s all said and done he might go top 5, I hope someone digs up some homophobic tweets from when he was 12 so he can fall to us.

Montez sweat isn’t a lethal speed rusher, I kinda feel like he lost a step this year, did he put on some weight? But at the same time he uses his hands and length very well and his bend compliments his hand skills well.

Allen, I don’t like him. He isn’t an edge guy to me, he’s an off the ball linebacker who will specialize in blitzing and needs to desperately improve his instincts in coverage to have a place in this league. His best rush will come from the 2 point, and when engaged the play is over, if he’s not winning As soon as the ball is snapped he’s not winning at all. All His big plays came when he was given space to free rush, and he often made these plays as a LB, in other plays as a LB where he drops in coverage he was pathetic in reading the QBs eyes and feeling out the routes around him, very little zone awareness. I think he’s gonna be a bust.

This is my first round edge rush quick write up... I guess lol.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Ximines would be a good trade down target. Grabe Ximines in the 2nd and then someone like Willekes in the middle of the draft. It would instantly turn our weakness into a potential strength.
I know nothing about willekes, but I like an edge rusher with a low center of gravity and a great set of hands, which Ximines has, his get off isn’t the best, but he’s got really low pad and hip level and solid length for a short guy, and uses those hands extremely well to give himself a consistent chance to dip the shoulder and get to the pocket, he’s also a very consistent and instinctive closer, although that was Tim Williams best asset in college and that has frustratingly been where he’s struggled the most in the nfl, so that doesn’t always translate I guess

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I know nothing about willekes, but I like an edge rusher with a low center of gravity and a great set of hands, which Ximines has, his get off isn’t the best, but he’s got really low pad and hip level and solid length for a short guy, and uses those hands extremely well to give himself a consistent chance to dip the shoulder and get to the pocket, he’s also a very consistent and instinctive closer, although that was Tim Williams best asset in college and that has frustratingly been where he’s struggled the most in the nfl, so that doesn’t always translate I guess
Kenny Willekes of Michigan State. He won the Big 10 defensive lineman of the year award (he's a tweener, small end or 3-4 olb) and was a unanimous pick for first team all big 10 defensive honors. He even got named MVP of the team after the season, and he started as a walk on. He looks like he could be really productive in the NFL.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Ferrell is a little too high and tight for my liking and doesn’t disengage in times where I feel he has perfect opportunities to. I think he’s been overhyped because Clemson DL.

Also with Brian burns he has no motor and gives up on a lot of plays, and he seems to lack the ability to chain together rush moves, he just isn’t cerebral or intuitive at all, he often has brilliant initial moves to give himself an advantage and fails to capitalize, he’ll have a nice first step, get a perfect swat or extension with the inner arm, and then fail to bend and get that corner, and he has the bend ability to do it he just doesn’t. He’s frustrating.

Jachai polite I really like, a lot, but when it’s all said and done he might go top 5, I hope someone digs up some homophobic tweets from when he was 12 so he can fall to us.

Montez sweat isn’t a lethal speed rusher, I kinda feel like he lost a step this year, did he put on some weight? But at the same time he uses his hands and length very well and his bend compliments his hand skills well.

Allen, I don’t like him. He isn’t an edge guy to me, he’s an off the ball linebacker who will specialize in blitzing and needs to desperately improve his instincts in coverage to have a place in this league. His best rush will come from the 2 point, and when engaged the play is over, if he’s not winning As soon as the ball is snapped he’s not winning at all. All His big plays came when he was given space to free rush, and he often made these plays as a LB, in other plays as a LB where he drops in coverage he was pathetic in reading the QBs eyes and feeling out the routes around him, very little zone awareness. I think he’s gonna be a bust.

This is my first round edge rush quick write up... I guess lol.
I really only like Polite, Ferrell and that’s it unless Bosa is there by some Christmas miracle. Not a fan of Burns at all. I do like Winovich as a 2nd round pick.