• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Lamar, The Defence and a case of the Dropsies

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Got to love how when the Chiefs lost to the Lions because of their receivers dropping passes, all we heard was how the receivers let Mahomes down. We lose a game because the receivers dropped passes and somehow Lamar is getting more criticism than his receivers. I understand criticizing Lamar for his lack of ball control and the fumbles, rightfully so. It just seems Lamar isn't getting the same treatment as Mahomes when his receivers drop passes.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Got to love how when the Chiefs lost to the Lions because of their receivers dropping passes, all we heard was how the receivers let Mahomes down. We lose a game because the receivers dropped passes and somehow Lamar is getting more criticism than his receivers. I understand criticizing Lamar for his lack of ball control and the fumbles, rightfully so. It just seems Lamar isn't getting the same treatment as Mahomes when his receivers drop passes.

Been like that since day one

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
It’s true for sure, but that pick is probably a big reason. That was just awful. We never should have been in that spot but the pick was atrocious

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
Personally, I'm always finding myself going back to the offensive execution when assessing this game. The timeliness, too. I thought Lamar Jackson played an outstanding game. His worst play came at the most crucial of times, but I wasn't a fan of the play-calling on the goal line. You could argue that after pulling, John Simpson should have sealed off Kwon Alexander instead of pivoting inside towards Damontae Kazee on the shovel pass. Would much prefer to leave Mark Andrews against Kazee than Alexander comparatively. However, I was also not huge on a YAC concept in traffic. With the receivers struggling to hold onto the ball, the hypersensitivity would make the catch alone feel like a win. Having to turn upfield and carry an unblocked defender several yards into the end zone thereafter, tough to materialize given the lack of momentum. We remained tone def by sending a WR, who's missed nearly half of the game after a single catch, into an end-zone fade against length. Certainly feels like an own goal, this one.

That being said, with relation to being overly cute, the play that I continue to come back to in my head is the 3rd and 9 conversion on the Steelers' following drive:

3rd and 9 (1-2).jpg

With Arthur Maulet backpedaling before the snap, it immediately signaled either thirds or rolled halves, likely the latter. Humphrey likely has the flat in off-coverage, hovering to the sticks. Who's left to defend the hook/curl towards the trips side, consisting of George Pickens and Allen Robinson as the two slots? By sheer virtue of this alignment and spacing, it would be the nearest front seven defender. That player is Jadeveon Clowney.

When I watched this play live, I could not believe it. I was screaming for a time out. Not only that, but we lined up Roquan Smith, who's otherworldly in coverage, to shade the center and rush into the teeth of the OL, with Kyle Van Noy bookending Clowney. Which at least Van Noy has ample experience in. That single snap of coverage was the only time we dropped either Van Noy or Clowney in this game. And we did it on a crucial 3rd and long. With 216 yards of allowed offense. And 4.08 yards per play to that point. Clowney awkwardly shuffles beyond the drop, which I don't blame him for considering the rarity of the request, Calvin Austin runs a clear out to carry the flat defender. And there's a open void for Robinson to waltz his way into the stop route for the first down. To make things worse, Hamilton and Queen were near moments away from the sack. It's a single play. The defense held for most of the afternoon, if we're pointing fingers, they're not at the top of the list. I just found this schematic to be infuriating after we just gave up free points by being overly creative on offense. Golly.

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
Was hoping to see more of an impact from Likely this year but we are barely even utilizing him it seems. Of course he dropped a pass against the Colts tho

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
Personally, I'm always finding myself going back to the offensive execution when assessing this game. The timeliness, too. I thought Lamar Jackson played an outstanding game. His worst play came at the most crucial of times, but I wasn't a fan of the play-calling on the goal line. You could argue that after pulling, John Simpson should have sealed off Kwon Alexander instead of pivoting inside towards Damontae Kazee on the shovel pass. Would much prefer to leave Mark Andrews against Kazee than Alexander comparatively. However, I was also not huge on a YAC concept in traffic. With the receivers struggling to hold onto the ball, the hypersensitivity would make the catch alone feel like a win. Having to turn upfield and carry an unblocked defender several yards into the end zone thereafter, tough to materialize given the lack of momentum. We remained tone def by sending a WR, who's missed nearly half of the game after a single catch, into an end-zone fade against length. Certainly feels like an own goal, this one.

That being said, with relation to being overly cute, the play that I continue to come back to in my head is the 3rd and 9 conversion on the Steelers' following drive:

View attachment 5579

With Arthur Maulet backpedaling before the snap, it immediately signaled either thirds or rolled halves, likely the latter. Humphrey likely has the flat in off-coverage, hovering to the sticks. Who's left to defend the hook/curl towards the trips side, consisting of George Pickens and Allen Robinson as the two slots? By sheer virtue of this alignment and spacing, it would be the nearest front seven defender. That player is Jadeveon Clowney.

When I watched this play live, I could not believe it. I was screaming for a time out. Not only that, but we lined up Roquan Smith, who's otherworldly in coverage, to shade the center and rush into the teeth of the OL, with Kyle Van Noy bookending Clowney. Which at least Van Noy has ample experience in. That single snap of coverage was the only time we dropped either Van Noy or Clowney in this game. And we did it on a crucial 3rd and long. With 216 yards of allowed offense. And 4.08 yards per play to that point. Clowney awkwardly shuffles beyond the drop, which I don't blame him for considering the rarity of the request, Calvin Austin runs a clear out to carry the flat defender. And there's a open void for Robinson to waltz his way into the stop route for the first down. To make things worse, Hamilton and Queen were near moments away from the sack. It's a single play. The defense held for most of the afternoon, if we're pointing fingers, they're not at the top of the list. I just found this schematic to be infuriating after we just gave up free points by being overly creative on offense. Golly.
It’s just classic Ravens post super bowl to hold the entire game until we needed it most. Not the Ds fault we lost but also just typical they couldn’t get the win for us either

Thezone27

Ravens Ring of Honor

View attachment 5579

you do have a point that the play call was trash, I'll bet you a couple of runs would've ended up a TD, especially if Lamar had taken it to the house himself.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
you do have a point that the play call was trash, I'll bet you a couple of runs would've ended up a TD, especially if Lamar had taken it to the house himself.

At that point in the game I had already felt that Lamar was going to try and take over the game and force things.

How many game winning throws does someone have to throw before something breaks. I did not like the call but it is what it is. We should have never been in that situation

Simba

Staff Member
It could be worse. You guys could have Jordan Love at QB.
The stats don't look great but oddly don't think he's been terrible. You can see the flashes at least. Needs to make better decisions and be more consistent and calm, so wouldn't go sounding the alarms just yet.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
It’s true for sure, but that pick is probably a big reason. That was just awful. We never should have been in that spot but the pick was atrocious
Both are true. Lamar was let down by his receivers all day, but his play late in the game wasn't good. Dreadful ball placement on the INT, and really poor pocket awareness in the 4th quarter.

I will say though... do we think Mahomes and Lamar are equally as "clutch" as one another? Like Mahomes gets that treatment because Mahomes has lots and lots of game winning drives.

Or put another way... I don't think NFL teams are game-planning their offensive strategies, late in games, to avoid giving Lamar the ball back. Every single team in the league is doing that with Mahomes.

That's one of those spots where you expect your $50M QB to simply not make that mistake. An interception or fumble is literally the only thing he can't do there. Everything else is fine. There's worthy criticism for that.

The stats don't look great but oddly don't think he's been terrible. You can see the flashes at least. Needs to make better decisions and be more consistent and calm, so wouldn't go sounding the alarms just yet.
Yeah but it’s not looking good.

Both are true. Lamar was let down by his receivers all day, but his play late in the game wasn't good. Dreadful ball placement on the INT, and really poor pocket awareness in the 4th quarter.

I will say though... do we think Mahomes and Lamar are equally as "clutch" as one another? Like Mahomes gets that treatment because Mahomes has lots and lots of game winning drives.

Or put another way... I don't think NFL teams are game-planning their offensive strategies, late in games, to avoid giving Lamar the ball back. Every single team in the league is doing that with Mahomes.

That's one of those spots where you expect your $50M QB to simply not make that mistake. An interception or fumble is literally the only thing he can't do there. Everything else is fine. There's worthy criticism for that.
Spot on