• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Defence, Keaton Mitchell and the Fumbles

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
The Duke Manyweather of pass rush. Not too dissimilar from what we did with Keith Williams too

Keith Williams, Tee Martin, and now Chuck Smith.

Although Tee was brought in to help the WR room, switching him to QB coach was a brilliant move. You see him on the bench choppin it up with Lamar after every series. Chemistry there is a helluva lot better than Urban with Lamar.
We all knew he got the QB coach job because he worked with Harbs back in their eagle days.. no experience at all in that field. Bet Lamar just shrug his ass off most of the time lol.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Was just coming to post something similar. Now that the contract is out of the way, he’s having fun again
And that's the Lamar that I love and want to see. Having fun and as he says: "We just playing ball!"

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Urban may not have had experience as a qb coach but was a very good wr coach in Cincinnati. I was hoping that is what he was hired for when we signed him.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

Although Tee was brought in to help the WR room, switching him to QB coach was a brilliant move. You see him on the bench choppin it up with Lamar after every series. Chemistry there is a helluva lot better than Urban with Lamar.
We all knew he got the QB coach job because he worked with Harbs back in their eagle days.. no experience at all in that field. Bet Lamar just shrug his ass off most of the time lol.

urban was great at preparing backups to start (and there's a reason he's still here and still part of this coaching staff even without a traditional coaching role)
and lamar definitely made strides while urban was here - but lamar's personal coaches were doing a lot of the mechanics and stuff and was hard to see what urban's function with lamar was once he took on Adam Dedeaux

I really like what Harbs has been doing though to change his approach the last few years and find these guys who the players love, who are experts at their craft but maybe havent held high level jobs in the NFL yet

Dubb and Smith have been great for their position groups (and Dubb hasnt even been the full-time WR coach yet)

but also harbs has been finding potential rising stars in college to elevate:
Tee Martin, Kerry Dixon, Willie Taggart

we've obviously got a logjam at the top of the organisation to promote people into but we're hoarding masses of talent at the position coach level

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I love when Lamar is micd up, because when we see him scramble and make plays with his feet and he hops up shaking his head and what not, we don’t know what he’s doing/saying, dudes actually down there laughing at defenders and telling them “y’all know”. That boy cold af

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
I love when Lamar is micd up, because when we see him scramble and make plays with his feet and he hops up shaking his head and what not, we don’t know what he’s doing/saying, dudes actually down there laughing at defenders and telling them “y’all know”. That boy cold af

How about Lamar pleading for the coach to take Nelly out of the game after he didn't block anyone? lmaooooo

It's great to see Lamar having fun again

Sandtown

Pro Bowler

I'm sure John Harbaugh familiarity with James Urban helped him get the job but Urban had previous success as a quarterback coach. He was an understudy for Andy Reid before taking his coaching career else were. He was Mike Vick quarterback coach when he won comeback player of the year in 2010 or 2011 along with going to the Pro Bowl and was Lamar Jackson quarterback coach when he won MVP of year in 2019. He never actually played the quarterback position before but there have been successful position coach in the league that haven't played the position they are coaching. Ravens former quarterback coach Rick Dennison was a legit inside linebacker if not mistaken before his coaching career and he helped Joe Flacco have one of his best seasons as a raven.

I'm sure Tee Martin playing the quarterback position helps alot with coaching Lamar and the other quarterback on the team. I just think the major difference is the offensive coordinator. I think Todd Monken sets a better tone when it comes to emphasizing the importance of proper throwing mechanics than Greg Roman. Not that Roman didn't value it but I think he was more passive with his approach with Lamar and was more willing to just let Lamar be Lamar considering how special he is as a talent