• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Defence, the Offence and the Coaching

playcalling was iffy, but I think monken is keeping it vanilla and might keep it vanilla in the rams game, until the stretch which starts against the jags
Lol you say this every week and ut makes no sense. Every game is important we are only 1 game ahead of steelers and browns. And it wasn't vanilla he just stopped doing what worked.

GodIsGreat

Veteran
Lol you say this every week and ut makes no sense. Every game is important we are only 1 game ahead of steelers and browns. And it wasn't vanilla he just stopped doing what worked.
When its time for the big game though like the lions,seahawks, and against the browns d offense put up around 28 points, but you might be right which is not good for the team

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Defense looked good in coverage, Stephens is good man. Clowney is a Raven. I can't explain that.

KYLE "HEY IM OVER HERE DONT EVEN TRY IT" HAMILTON might be our second best defender on this team. I haven't felt this way about a player on our D since Suggs. Mind you I love Marlo to death

As for the offense, I don't know what else to say. We went out there and looked great when we attacked their weakness and just decided to stop doing everything that works. No coincidence we struggled for a bit when OBJ was pulled. OBJ looks incredible on short and intermediate plays and still has speed. What he doesn't have is that break away speed to track down a ball like he used to so I don't understand why we INSIST to do it with him and not the other 3 guys who are faster. What is the reasoning there?

We moved the ball at will when we had Lamar work the defense with his short and intermediate game with some runs. Then we just stopped? Am I watching a different game? Or does Keaton look like our most explosive weapon in the backfield not named Lamar? And if that's the case, why is he not on the field on 3rd down when you might need a big play?

Likely started on making plays with his legs and then we told him to go fuck himself the rest of the game

rossihunter2

Staff Member
What happened to odell the rest of the night? We exposed the middle of the field on slant plays then we stop calling them.

Felt like another Ravens vs Ravens game. 3 turnovers good field position and we only get 3pts.

Not sure why we abandoned the quick stuff after it worked in the 2nd but thank god for Mitchell and Flowers making plays.

We desperately need O-line, or at least tackles, in the next offseason, hate to say it but Ronnie is all but done, and Moses is struggling too, and if Faalele can’t beat him for the job that gives me concerns about him also.

none of it makes sense
we've got so many elements of this offence that are working well

but whenever we get any sort of rhythm on offence we go away from what's working and waste a few downs and right now this offence isnt getting the tackle play to be in 3rd and long consistently

odell and bateman completely vanished from the gameplan in the 2nd half
we ran the ball well at times, but did almost nothing off play-action it felt like

not sure what was going on with the gus usage

the 4th down failure was completely nonsensical - wildcat for basically a 6 yard QB sneak, taking the ball out of your best player's hands, taking away the option value of having 2 people in the backfield, taking away the option value of having a QB there as a passing option, running behind a line that had been bullied early at times... that play should not be in our playbook with lamar as our QB

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
none of it makes sense

but whenever we get any sort of rhythm on offence we go away from what's working and waste a few downs and right now this offence isnt getting the tackle play to be in 3rd and long consistently

we ran the ball well at times, but did almost nothing off play-action it felt like

the 4th down failure was completely nonsensical - wildcat for basically a 6 yard QB sneak, taking the ball out of your best player's hands, taking away the option value of having 2 people in the backfield, taking away the option value of having a QB there as a passing option, running behind a line that had been bullied early at times... that play should not be in our playbook with lamar as our QB
Monken was just horrific tonight.

He deserves an F . So does Harbaugh. Macdonald gets an A

Simba

Staff Member
none of it makes sense

Feels like a constant barrage of trying to be too cute instead of doing what works. Not everything has to be some sideline to sideline play with a read option. Get the ball out to your playmakers. Our top 4 WRs can all win their battles and we seem resigned to a one read play call in the passing game way too often.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Getting my blood pressure up and shit.

Offense looked solid early on and just fucking stalled on some fuckery. Just felt like we have to work harder to move the chains than the Chargers did. Nice to see Likely getting involved and I'm sure his confidence has gone up. Would've liked Zay to kneel but at least it didn't matter. Todd Monken. Sir, that was atrocious playcalling on your part. We're entering the month of December. The excuses are over.

Defense. Outstanding performance despite the offense failing. Forcing turnovers and whatnot.

Harbaugh was wack tonight for NOT challenging not one, but two blatant first downs that weren't called. The refs were beyond atrocious tonight. Like "they-need-to-be-suspended" type of atrocious.

Warmed my heart to see the place getting loud when we made a big play. Nice to see we have a good contingent of Ravens fans in LA.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Moses has been damn good all season, but tonight was probably the worst we’ve ever seen him in a Ravens uniform. Hopefully he bounces back. Not sounding the alarm on him just yet.

Ronnie on the other hand…
I believe that Moses could be shoulder related and maybe the bye does him well. Ronnie is just a turnstile every week

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Feels like a constant barrage of trying to be too cute instead of doing what works. Not everything has to be some sideline to sideline play with a read option. Get the ball out to your playmakers. Our top 4 WRs can all win their battles and we seem resigned to a one read play call in the passing game way too often.

one thing i definitely miss about greg roman
he wasnt afraid to call the exact same play over and over again on a drive if the defence couldnt do anything about it

JO_75

Hall of Famer
I'm just thankful we won that game. Also... Tom Brady was 100% right about how terrible the current NFL product is. Just bad coaching around the league which has led to bad offense across the league.

Simba

Staff Member
one thing i definitely miss about greg roman
he wasnt afraid to call the exact same play over and over again on a drive if the defence couldnt do anything about it
Yep. If you can pound the rock for 5 yards a clip consistently, keep doing it. Feels like now we get a successful play and try to build something entirely different off of it.