• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Defence, the Offence and the Coaching

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
i get why people defend John, I do. Thing is, you see the same things over and over that costs us games and at some point, you have to start looking at Harbaugh. Again, I mean I guess technically we did close out the game with the Zay TD but being unable to do so prior when we had those turnovers, unacceptable. I don't even know if we are going to beat Jacksonville or Miami in the regular season at this point, I see nothing offensively that says we will. I see nothing offensively that says we can outscore Mahomes in the playoffs.

Also... at some point when you have changed the coordinators and the problems still occur.... that's a Head Coaching Problem.
What problems? Offensive problems today, imo were all on lamar. Taking sacks when its the only thing you cant do.. staying in pocket all day, fumbling and just all the other small bad habits he starts doing during games.. by playoffs, hopefully we have this figured out

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
i get why people defend John, I do. Thing is, you see the same things over and over that costs us games and at some point, you have to start looking at Harbaugh. Again, I mean I guess technically we did close out the game with the Zay TD but being unable to do so prior when we had those turnovers, unacceptable. I don't even know if we are going to beat Jacksonville or Miami in the regular season at this point, I see nothing offensively that says we will. I see nothing offensively that says we can outscore Mahomes in the playoffs.

Also... at some point when you have changed the coordinators and the problems still occur.... that's a Head Coaching Problem.

I’ve seen enough offense to know that we can move the ball and score.

My issue is the consistency and player usage. The shit doesn’t make sense

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
What problems? Offensive problems today, imo were all on lamar. Taking sacks when its the only thing you cant do.. staying in pocket all day, fumbling and just all the other small bad habits he starts doing during games.. by playoffs, hopefully we have this figured out

Direct snap on 4th and short to Gus and lining up Lamar as a WR.

Not one but two first downs that were not challenged.

Not attacking another teams weakness.

Trying to develop longer pass routes with an O-line that is being pushed backwards, not this game, but consistently.

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
We won one of these. We could've easily crumbled like we've done in similar scenarios, but the defense clamped down on a goal-to-go drive and the offense got the first down, and more, when needing to drain the opposing time outs. Thrilled with the outcome for how I felt after the FG miss. We needed that.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
IMG_6962.jpeg

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Direct snap on 4th and short to Gus and lining up Lamar as a WR.

Not one but two first downs that were not challenged.

Not attacking another teams weakness.

Trying to develop longer pass routes with an O-line that is being pushed backwards, not this game, but consistently.
I missed the direct snap play, i heard it but i didnt know it was that bad…… Idk if he did but lamar shouldve told harbaugh to challenge it when he ran on that 3rd down. Like it was clear as day, even during live action. I just feel like we are ignoring lamars flaws and blaming everyone else.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Ok, so we won and advanced to 9-3 prior to our bye. Congrats. But, the reality is that this offense is horrendous. The defense got them the ball back 3x and they could not score with those opportunities to do so but could only produce 3 points. If they don't fix that foolishness, they may have an early exit from the playoffs.
Horrendous is definitely not how I'd describe it.

We need a notch or couple of better O line play and we'll be right.

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
We stall In the red zone, now I can’t count on Tucker….with the teams we have coming up, honestly I hope we can get a wildcard, because I think Pittsburgh has an easier path to AFC North with their much Easier schedule.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
We won one of these. We could've easily crumbled like we've done in similar scenarios, but the defense clamped down on a goal-to-go drive and the offense got the first down, and more, when needing to drain the opposing time outs. Thrilled with the outcome for how I felt after the FG miss. We needed that.

that's definitely a way to look at it
after all the defeats that we clutched from the jaws of victory, it's nice to close one out on both sides of the ball at the end

hopefully this can be a change in outlook moving forwards

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I think people forget that the NFL consists of 32 teams with 53 NFL players. The disparity in talent isn't as wide as most people would like to believe. This is a week to week league and we see week in and week out that teams will have ebbs and flows. Plus, the Chargers have a ton of talent across the board. Like, a lot of household names. They're not some team like the Panthers where you could argue they're definitely on the low end of NFL teams talent wise. They're just not well coached.

With that said, at the end of the day, I will take an ugly win over a beautiful loss. Ask the Chargers how they feel about being 4-7 with some of their "moral victories and beautiful losses." Still, I do believe both have value and things to be taken from them.

In this instance, the Ravens won a game that I think 99% of Ravens fans didn't feel comfortable in. The stage was certainly set for it, too. The Chargers scored a fourth quarter touchdown to make the game close. The Ravens offense sputtered and Justin Tucker missed a kick. Absolutely no one would have been shocked if the Chargers tied or took the lead. But they didn't. The Ravens defense clamped down and the offense stepped up in crunch time to make the plays they needed to. That's not something the Ravens have been regularly able to count on lately, but here we are.

Regarding the turnovers- it's disappointing to see four turnovers and only see three points off, but context matters. One was the hail mary, so scratch that off. One happened with :36 seconds left, so that significantly altered the play calling. And to be fair- the Ravens could have had a long field goal chance, but I didn't mind going for the score because if they did not score, the Chargers only had :03 to work with. One happened at the Ravens 24 yard line, so it wasn't a short field, guaranteed point situation and was a bigger victory to stop points rather than produce points on offense. Disappointing, but not totally unexpected.

I understand the play calling seemed wonky, but Odell went out for a bit at one point and Likely was probably (don't know this for sure) tasked with blocking more considering the offensive line was crumbling. A lot of those plays that worked early (slants to OBJ, quick passes to Likely) probably weren't able to be called. That doesn't excuse getting away from what was working or play calls like the Edwards wildcat, but it does help frame it.

With Stanley, I think people are too harsh. There's A LOT of really bad offensive line play around the league and a shortage of quality left tackles given it's a premium position along a weak overall positional group. Like it or not- he's what league average looks like. And trust me- it could be worse. Despite Slater being a really good, young left tackle, Herbert was under pressure on over 60% of his passing attempts. Stanley is, understandably, a far cry from his 2019 self, but this is something the Ravens are going to have to work through because there's not an abundance of better options out there. And the Ravens absolutely will need to figure it out because they face the Steelers, Jags, Rams, and 49ers still and each of those teams has a premiere pass rusher, so I'll be interested to see what happens moving forward.

And as a final food for thought- I see a lot of people going, "Why don't the Ravens use someone faster than OBJ on deep shots?!" Deep passing is far more than just a speed game (as shown by Zay failing to properly track a great throw by Lamar.) It's a lot about tracking ability (again, looking at you, Zay) and timing. If you watch the OBJ deep miss, that ball is out well in advance of OBJ being downfield. The issue there is that OBJ got stifled in his release and his timing was thrown off. Lamar threw with the anticipation that OBJ would be at the spot he was expected to be at a certain time and OBJ failed to make that happen. Had he been unimpeded, that's a great throw and catch. Just some nuance to consider.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
On the three "challenges":
#1 - have to challenge this. I know coaches hate challenging ball spots, because officials stick with their calls a ton, but you have to challenge this one.
#2 - people thought this was the most egregious non-challenge, but I disagree. For starters, its absurd for the officials to miss the spot that badly (by at least a yard) and I, like I think everybody else, just assumed it was a first down. I think the Ravens did too, because there's no way you call a WR screen on 3rd and 1. I think Ravens assumed first down and, like many, didn't realize it was third down until after the play was already called.
Additionally, it was second down. So even if you are short, you have two plays to get a yard. I don't think we need to risk timeouts to get a yard on two plays. We just ran a horrendous play call for 3rd down, backed up, and then couldn't convert.
#3 - I actually didn't hate this challenge. It's a huge play, it was actually pretty close to a forward pass, AND, what I think most people missed, it allows the officials to look at the spot. That was a third down play and the receiver only made the line by about a half yard. You can effectively challenge two rulings on one play. At that spot in the game, I didn't mind it.
I think it just "looks bad" because of the failure to challenge the first two, which were winnable.

GodIsGreat

Veteran
Yeah player usage gotta be on harbaugh last year when jk wasn't get enough usage against the bengals, thought it was gro thing but seeing this season it gotta be harbaugh and he has to keep going with the hothand