• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Defence, the Offence and the Coaching

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I've not seen anyone call challenge 3 a problem. Literally who cares. It's honestly just number 1. Number 2 is such egregious failure of the refs we didn't even know what play down it was thinking it was first.

Officiating crew should never work another prime time game again

they also had the wrong down marker for the chargers at one point on the sideline too lol
missed the penalty on geno stone early
missed the kick catch interference

we got some significant benefit from the refs too

just really bad reffing in a few games this weekend all around

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler
I'm the happiest Ravens fan I know that I was completely, unforgivably wrong about Hamilton. Very awesome to see his continued growth. I know y'all hate him, as do I, but he's reminding me a lot of prime Troy Polamalu. Just a stellar chess piece on the defense in all aspects.
Kind of off topic, but your post made me wonder something. You're glad to be wrong about Hamilton. Many Ravens fans are happy to be wrong about OJ Howard over Marlon, etc. Makes sense. Why wouldn't fans be glad their team drafted a good player?

So why are the fans who were wrong about Lamar still waiting to pounce after every loss rather than admitting they were wrong and enjoying a good Ravens player?

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Im the only one who thinks monken isnt bad or something lol? I actually like monken play calling. I feel like he brings something different every week or atleast mixing it up.. maybe im just use to our last oc coming with the same shit week in and week out

Will definitely give him this. He is doing a good job with Lamar. He's also letting him operate much more freely with audibles etc. Not to mention getting them out of the huddle with more than five seconds left on the playclock.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
they also had the wrong down marker for the chargers at one point on the sideline too lol
missed the penalty on geno stone early
missed the kick catch interference

we got some significant benefit from the refs too

just really bad reffing in a few games this weekend all around

At the risk of sounding argumentative, I respectfully disagree with the Stone thing. To me, it looks like he was at least trying somewhat to pull back from delivering a massive hit.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Kind of off topic, but your post made me wonder something. You're glad to be wrong about Hamilton. Many Ravens fans are happy to be wrong about OJ Howard over Marlon, etc. Makes sense. Why wouldn't fans be glad their team drafted a good player?

So why are the fans who were wrong about Lamar still waiting to pounce after every loss rather than admitting they were wrong and enjoying a good Ravens player?

I can't speak for others, but I've been complimenting Lamar after almost every game this year. Yes he's still human and makes mistakes but he's doing a superb job operating a pro style offense at a high level

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler
It was an ugly offensive game, luckily the Chargers are better at shooting themselves in the foot than we are, but I don't care.

We are top of the AFC, comfortably top of the toughest division in football and Lamar survived Week 12 despite NBC's attempt to jinx him. Things are OK.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
That wasn't directed at you in any way. I was just thinking aloud.

I think there are a number of reasons for it. Some that are indeed his fault (he's gotta win a few playoff games), some not his fault (he doesn't exactly fit the mold of a classic QB in certain people's minds)

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

QBs are treated differently. It's easy to transition from whiff vs hit on non-QBs, because they're not being judged on W/L record (right or wrong).

The standard by which the public measures QB play has never been more atrocious than it is today. I don't think the public has ever been dumber in regards to what good QB play looks like then they are right now in the history of the NFL. You have to win at least one SB AND consistently put up great stats annually in order to even be discussed as a good QB. You can win five MVPs, but if you have the playoff track record Lamar does, you're ass to a lot of people. Conversely, you can be Jimmy G and win heaps of playoff games and play in tons of big games, and still be ass, because you're not consistently good.

I think with Lamar, there's two different "eras". The rookie deal Lamar Jackson blew away pretty much all expectations from any fan. If anybody tells you that rookie deal Lamar didn't exceed expectations, they're lying and full of shit. He wasn't the #1 overall pick. He was a guy taken at the end of the first round, viewed as a "project", and couldn't throw. And he won an MVP and had one of the better W/L records over a five year span for any QB in history (literally).

And all that is well and good. Now, today, Lamar is in era #2, which is the era of an extremely highly paid, franchise QB, who is now officially paid precisely to put his team in a position to win a Lombardi nearly every year. That's the standard. It may be an unfair one, but its the same standard that Josh Allen and Joe Burrow and Pat Mahomes and every other very highly paid QB is in. And its not unreasonable either. He's officially past the point where it's "well he didn't have the draft pedigree of others". It's meaningless. He's an experienced veteran at this point.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I thought Monken would be close to the Kubiak level. Man was I wrong.
Monken has done a lot of good things, I’m extremely encourage because I’m not convinced most of our offensive issues aren’t execution problems. Last night had some sus moments but overall offensive play calling has been pretty good, including situationally, where we have failed has been holding up in pass pro consistently, catching the ball consistently, and Lamar landing his deep shots where receivers have good separation. If we are 30% better in those 3 phases of execution then nobody questions it, this offense is HUMMING, Pittsburgh doesn’t happen, colts likely don’t happen, and we are absolutely rolling.

It should be expected that we struggle to pivot from the andrews loss right away. Monken, Lamar, and the skill players all have a learning curve there.

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
i get why people defend John, I do. Thing is, you see the same things over and over that costs us games and at some point, you have to start looking at Harbaugh. Again, I mean I guess technically we did close out the game with the Zay TD but being unable to do so prior when we had those turnovers, unacceptable. I don't even know if we are going to beat Jacksonville or Miami in the regular season at this point, I see nothing offensively that says we will. I see nothing offensively that says we can outscore Mahomes in the playoffs.

Also... at some point when you have changed the coordinators and the problems still occur.... that's a Head Coaching Problem.
Echo the sentiments from others, our defense dominated and you can’t expect to dominate every week. Our offense has put five 30 point games in a row, they just couldn’t get it going tonight because of the pass rush, at least they didn’t turn it over.
We stall In the red zone, now I can’t count on Tucker….with the teams we have coming up, honestly I hope we can get a wildcard, because I think Pittsburgh has an easier path to AFC North with their much Easier schedule.
I am really not concerned about the Steelers, they are a bad football team and they will lose more games. I think Kyler Murray scores too much for their offense to compete. Don’t believe any hype from the Bengals game today, the Steelers were bad again and a terrible INT from the Bengals backup flipped the game.

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
Weird game but a solid win. I’m pumped to be 9-3

Defense was bailed out by a terrible no call on the first drive and then dominated.
Offense was off , but this is what I expected on a west coast road trip. I had a feeling it was going to be ugly.
Coaching: Harbs continues to be a boob. I think it’s time for Monken to simplify things. Just get the rock to Keaton and Zay on repeat
There should be a mandate that everytime he wants to call a screen it has to be a run instead. At least 3x a game. Dial back the WR screens, one’s gonna get pick sixed soon