• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Coaching Carousel 2024

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer

I think the actual game thread is pretty dead, but still feel this fits here.

Many were suggesting Lamar and the Ravens probably saw a lot of stacked/heavy boxes and audibled out or didn't call runs because it didn't seem like a favorable front.

This shows that wasn't the case and that's coaching malpractice.

Wonder if Rosburg would have filled a role that would point this out and help change the flow of the game.

This just boils my blood even more. That being said, I also blame the lack of composure at times.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer

Many were suggesting Lamar and the Ravens probably saw a lot of stacked/heavy boxes and audibled out or didn't call runs because it didn't seem like a favorable front.

Wonder if Rosburg would have filled a role that would point this out and help change the flow of the game.

I just cant imagine that not a single person on the team nor coaching staff didnt notice what was going on during the game. Maybe the game plan was to go up early then punch it down their throat 2nd half? then once that didnt work we stuck with pass heavy… idk but atleast we gonna learn from this bs.. stick to what we do best

Tank

Hall of Famer
Honestly, i wouldnt be surprised if its cause of lamar.. maybe he wanted to out play mahommes and wanted the ball in his hands at all times
Well I'm sure he had the ability to audible to either or other. He's the QB, that's what QBs do. Right?

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Greg Roman is officially the Chargers OC... interesting QB pairing with Herbert. Herbert isn't exactly a mobile QB like Lamar or Kaepernick, but Chargers fans now have to deal with receivers running into each other and not running actual routes.

Given how we didn't run the ball at all with Monken against the Chiefs, and that was the complaint about Roman. If the Chargers make the playoffs, how much does Roman run the ball with Jim in the playoffs vs John.

Greg Roman is officially the Chargers OC... interesting QB pairing with Herbert. Herbert isn't exactly a mobile QB like Lamar or Kaepernick, but Chargers fans now have to deal with receivers running into each other and not running actual routes.

Given how we didn't run the ball at all with Monken against the Chiefs, and that was the complaint about Roman. If the Chargers make the playoffs, how much does Roman run the ball with Jim in the playoffs vs John.

Chargers are Chargering

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
I just cant imagine that not a single person on the team nor coaching staff didnt notice what was going on during the game. Maybe the game plan was to go up early then punch it down their throat 2nd half? then once that didnt work we stuck with pass heavy… idk but atleast we gonna learn from this bs.. stick to what we do best
You know something? I'm legit questioning IF they're gonna learn from this. I vividly remember the Browns game in CLE last season where we were smoking them on the ground, but just.....stopped running. I was at the Bucs game last season. They didn't really run the ball in the first half. Only put up 3 points. Second half, it's like they remembered they had a running game. Ended up scoring 24 2nd half points and ran all over them. Of course I remember JK being upset with the lack of usage in the Bengals playoff game.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer

Herbert isn't Lamar or Kaep, but he's faster and bigger than Josh Allen. He's really athletic compared to your average quarterback.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
You know something? I'm legit questioning IF they're gonna learn from this. I vividly remember the Browns game in CLE last season where we were smoking them on the ground, but just.....stopped running. I was at the Bucs game last season. They didn't really run the ball in the first half. Only put up 3 points. Second half, it's like they remembered they had a running game. Ended up scoring 24 2nd half points and ran all over them. Of course I remember JK being upset with the lack of usage in the Bengals playoff game.
So basically we fucked?

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

I mean its not a good look optically, but there's also key context missing here. Namely, down/distance.

Would have to factor in 3rd and 4th down attempts, as those would typically be pass calls in those spots, as well as look at distance in certain situations.

Obviously that wouldn't paint the whole story, though

Thezone27

Ravens Ring of Honor
The Bengals game I recall we ran much better than we did this game. or not much, but better at least, no?

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Herbert is faster than josh allen? If so, i dnt think he has the running ability like allen
He's a really good athlete, although I don't think he's the willing runner Allen is or has the natural vision.

I think he'd be fine adding some rushing yards if you really needed him to. Not Lamar or Fields levels, obviously, but he can get a few hundred.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
The Bengals game I recall we ran much better than we did this game. or not much, but better at least, no?
They ran it better for sure. I think there was a couple of times where we were wondering why JK didn't get the ball in the red zone. Heck even the Texans playoff game, they got back to running the ball in the 2nd half and and scored 20 2nd-half points. Texans had no answer with our running game.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

the point wasnt that they were checking out of runs because of heavy boxes
it's that there were inbuilt checks in the RPOs that would trigger pass options that the defence was triggering (because they know how RPOs work) despite the fact that the boxes were light

what we should have done is stopped running RPOs and occasionally came to the line with some different run checks or just committed to running in those light boxes regardless of the read

rossihunter2

Staff Member

harbs literally talked about it in the end of season presser so it's not like they dont know what happened

feels rough that they couldnt adjust to the defensive gameplan in-game though

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
the point wasnt that they were checking out of runs because of heavy boxes
it's that there were inbuilt checks in the RPOs that would trigger pass options that the defence was triggering (because they know how RPOs work) despite the fact that the boxes were light

what we should have done is stopped running RPOs and occasionally came to the line with some different run checks or just committed to running in those light boxes regardless of the read
I'm more just talking about a few individuals who are almost salivating at the idea of the game being at the feet of Lamar entirely.

If I'm understanding what you're saying- I don't really think it's a situation where Lamar wouldn't have thought to run or pass given he's so experienced with the RPO. For an RPO, a lineman doesn't even know if it's a pass or a block; they're just run blocking. Due to this, defenses are going to come downhill because every key they're reading is run.

I don't know what Lamar would have been reading to throw nearly every time, but I'm skeptical that he'd have missed nearly every read that badly.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I'm more just talking about a few individuals who are almost salivating at the idea of the game being at the feet of Lamar entirely.

If I'm understanding what you're saying- I don't really think it's a situation where Lamar wouldn't have thought to run or pass given he's so experienced with the RPO. For an RPO, a lineman doesn't even know if it's a pass or a block; they're just run blocking. Due to this, defenses are going to come downhill because every key they're reading is run.

I don't know what Lamar would have been reading to throw nearly every time, but I'm skeptical that he'd have missed nearly every read that badly.

my point is that the design of the play and the way the defence was playing it was calling for the pass part of an RPO despite there being lighter boxes

defence knew the offensive rules and forced the pass option despite playing a lighter box

was a clever trick by spags and that defence, but should have been adjusted to better by monken by calling some run plays off the same kind of looks that had no options in-built