• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Coaching Carousel 2024

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
my point is that the design of the play and the way the defence was playing it was calling for the pass part of an RPO despite there being lighter boxes

defence knew the offensive rules and forced the pass option despite playing a lighter box

was a clever trick by spags and that defence, but should have been adjusted to better by monken by calling some run plays off the same kind of looks that had no options in-built
Can you elaborate on how they would have forced the pass despite lighter boxes? Because this was a team that ranked 28th against the run and historically struggled against the RPO. They were shredded by Josh Allen the week prior and missing their best spy in Willie Gay.

I HIGHLY doubt they all of a sudden became masters at gap integrity and defending the RPO in one week after being garbage at it all season.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Can you elaborate on how they would have forced the pass despite lighter boxes? Because this was a team that ranked 28th against the run and historically struggled against the RPO. They were shredded by Josh Allen the week prior and missing their best spy in Willie Gay.

I HIGHLY doubt they all of a sudden became masters at gap integrity and defending the RPO in one week after being garbage at it all season.
We ran the ball in previous years when teams had 90 people in the box. Youre only forced to pass as much as we did if youre down by alot or your run game has been getting shut down.. neither one was the case.

Simba

Staff Member
Only 36 but been around the block. Seems we’re eyeing a little more experience in the positional roles to support Orr.

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
Only 36 but been around the block. Seems we’re eyeing a little more experience in the positional roles to support Orr.

Has experience coaching in Chuck Pagano defensive system back when he was the bears linebacker coach so he should be familiar with the ravens defensive system as well. I bet that played a part on why he was hired

Simba

Staff Member
It does seem weird that after bucking the trend last year and having great success, we’re seemingly now back to “known” coaching additions with our first 2. Mallory with Jim obviously and DeLeone is an Andy Reid disciple.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

By understanding RPOs and making the LB/DE trigger the pass option read

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
By understanding RPOs and making the LB/DE trigger the pass option read
Yeah, I'm not really getting a clear answer on this one and like I said- I REALLY doubt the 28th ranked run defense who struggled against RPO style quarterbacks all year suddenly figured it out it in one week after getting shredded by Allen.

And the reason I'm struggling is Lamar presents his own running threat- it isn't as simple as hand off or pass only; Lamar is a running threat. He adds an extra wrinkle that should put defenses in a near impossible bind. I just don't think the Chiefs would have done something special from a light box to account for the threat of a handoff or Lamar run AND clogged the passing lanes, unless Monken were running poor route concepts.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
It does seem weird that after bucking the trend last year and having great success, we’re seemingly now back to “known” coaching additions with our first 2. Mallory with Jim obviously and DeLeone is an Andy Reid disciple.
I don't have any issues with these two hires. I also wouldn't call Dennard Wilson unknown from last year. He came close to getting the DC job in Philly.

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
Yeah, I'm not really getting a clear answer on this one and like I said- I REALLY doubt the 28th ranked run defense who struggled against RPO style quarterbacks all year suddenly figured it out it in one week after getting shredded by Allen.

And the reason I'm struggling is Lamar presents his own running threat- it isn't as simple as hand off or pass only; Lamar is a running threat. He adds an extra wrinkle that should put defenses in a near impossible bind. I just don't think the Chiefs would have done something special from a light box to account for the threat of a handoff or Lamar run AND clogged the passing lanes, unless Monken were running poor route concepts.
I don't buy it either. Someone made the decision to abandon the plan. Whether it was coaching or Lamar, we'll likely never know. But it was also clear most of the game that the Chefs DEF front were dominating our Online with only 4 players to our 6. There were holes for runs but the change had the RBs and TEs blocking in pass protection, so the only runner left was Lamar. Someone here mentioned that Lamar, wanting to be seen as a passing qb, chose not to take off and run because that look furthered the view that he wasn't a true QB, but rather a glorified RB. I don't know the facts, but that is not a good look for him if true.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I don't buy it either. Someone made the decision to abandon the plan. Whether it was coaching or Lamar, we'll likely never know. But it was also clear most of the game that the Chefs DEF front were dominating our Online with only 4 players to our 6. There were holes for runs but the change had the RBs and TEs blocking in pass protection, so the only runner left was Lamar. Someone here mentioned that Lamar, wanting to be seen as a passing qb, chose not to take off and run because that look furthered the view that he wasn't a true QB, but rather a glorified RB. I don't know the facts, but that is not a good look for him if true.
Lamar did not abandon the plan to show he can be quarterbacky enough.

Simba

Staff Member
I don't have any issues with these two hires. I also wouldn't call Dennard Wilson unknown from last year. He came close to getting the DC job in Philly.
I don't necessarily have an issue with it. Just seems like a stark departure from our approach last year of turning over every stone and going outside of the box in a few instances. This feels more like an "I know this guy through the grapevine let's go with him" on the surface.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

they didnt do anything special with a light box - that's why the few times we did run, we were effective
what they did was force the pass trigger on those RPO post-snap reads