• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Coaching Carousel 2024

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
I like to think that James Urban and Crag Ver Steeg were instrumental in helping Todd Monken with some of the passing and running concepts the team liked from Greg Roman offense especially since they wanted to keep somethings in place. I wonder with their departure does this mean Monken wants to bring in his own guys but it could simply mean these guys have better opportunities else where. Still shocked about Ver Steeg though

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I like to think that James Urban and Crag Ver Steeg were instrumental in helping Todd Monken with some of the passing and running concepts the team liked from Greg Roman offense especially since they wanted to keep somethings in place. I wonder with their departure does this mean Monken wants to bring in his own guys but it could simply mean these guys have better opportunities else where. Still shocked about Ver Steeg though

Urban was only on staff coz he couldn’t get another job elsewhere

Ver steeg has always been the odd man out in the staff, would take over different units when required and then sometimes would disappear for a year back to being an analyst

I think it’s just the case that two hangers on aren’t hanging on anymore

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Maybe they are to blame for the early playoff losses. I kid.

In all seriousness, I won't lose sleep over either of them. A little surprised on Urban but not a ton. His role has seemed to diminish.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I hate to spoil things but its no way a first year coach gonna get us to the motherland.. wish mm wouldve stayed one more year

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
they didnt do anything special with a light box - that's why the few times we did run, we were effective
what they did was force the pass trigger on those RPO post-snap reads
What I keep trying to get at is- I don't think that happened. I think Lamar straight up read wrong on a few. I saw a couple examples floating around where he missed reads.

But, I also question how much RPO they actually ran because they seemed to be trying to push the ball downfield and trying to get big plays.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
This is bad news, we can’t lose this one
Why not? Not even trying to be funny but what has he done? It could be much deeper but looking from outside, i feel he hasnt done much.. especially from a wr development stand point.. tbh, i said the same thing when we first signed him.. not a single wr has improved since he been here.. not bateman, wallace, duv nor proche but at the same time most of them guys just didnt have it in them so its not his fault

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
Why not? Not even trying to be funny but what has he done? It could be much deeper but looking from outside, i feel he hasnt done much.. especially from a wr development stand point.. tbh, i said the same thing when we first signed him.. not a single wr has improved since he been here.. not bateman, wallace, duv nor proche but at the same time most of them guys just didnt have it in them so its not his fault

I think he has to get some credit for Hollywood Brown season in 2021 and he has to get some credit for Zay Flowers rookie season as well. Devin Duvernay didn't have a super productive season in 2022 but it was a much improve season compared to his previous two years. Bateman look good in 2022 but wasn't able to finish the season and he arguable would have been more productive in 2023 if not for so many other receiver options. Honestly from what I undestand is that Bateman had a solid year last year just wasn't really all that involved but there only one ball so it's understandable. When it comes to Tylan Wallace whoms more valued for his special team play it seem like his skills as a receiver improved through preseasson season which was one of the reasons why he made the team last year.

I'm not saying Keith Williams has done a super job as the assistant wide receiver coach but I don't know if has done terrible job either.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I think he has to get some credit for Hollywood Brown season in 2021 and he has to get some credit for Zay Flowers rookie season as well. Devin Duvernay didn't have a super productive season in 2022 but it was a much improve season compared to his previous two years. Bateman look good in 2022 but wasn't able to finish the season and he arguable would have been more productive in 2023 if not for so many other receiver options. Honestly from what I undestand is that Bateman had a solid year last year just wasn't really all that involved but there only one ball so it's understandable. When it comes to Tylan Wallace whoms more valued for his special team play it seem like his skills as a receiver improved through preseasson season which was one of the reasons why he made the team last year.

I'm not saying Keith Williams has done a super job as the assistant wide receiver coach but I don't know if has done terrible job either.
Shit i couldve coached zay and hollywood and those guys wouldve still had the seasons they had… especially zay! I dnt think he did a terrible job at all but i also dnt know what he has done so id assume is more to it than wr development because from that standpoint,it doesnt look like he has done much! We can see the the work that our db coach, lb coach and dline coaches have done over the years but when it comes to keith williams, i just dnt see it. Then again, its not really too much you can do with duv,proche and wallace

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Shit i couldve coached zay and hollywood and those guys wouldve still had the seasons they had… especially zay! I dnt think he did a terrible job at all but i also dnt know what he has done so id assume is more to it than wr development because from that standpoint,it doesnt look like he has done much! We can see the the work that our db coach, lb coach and dline coaches have done over the years but when it comes to keith williams, i just dnt see it. Then again, its not really too much you can do with duv,proche and wallace

he worked really closely with hollywood on his releases which is why despite being 5'9 and 175lbs he was able to consistently beat press on the outside

you could see with duv the route running improvement but duv just never had the agility and movement to be a good route-runner

flowers and bate came in ready made so you're right that it's hard to give any credit re: them

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
he worked really closely with hollywood on his releases which is why despite being 5'9 and 175lbs he was able to consistently beat press on the outside

you could see with duv the route running improvement but duv just never had the agility and movement to be a good route-runner

flowers and bate came in ready made so you're right that it's hard to give any credit re: them
Press coverage was a big issue for a really long time in Baltimore, he did seem to make a big difference there

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Press coverage was a big issue for a really long time in Baltimore, he did seem to make a big difference there
I think it was only an issue because of the guys we had at wr. Seth roberts, willie snead and co was wild to be entering the playoffs with.

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
Sucks Keith Willliams is gone. I wonder if the ravens will be in search for another assistant wide receiver coach .