• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2024 Offseason Thread

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

I don’t always agree with Ken but on this I’m in lockstep with him

On top of the above, he’s an under centre back who’s best working with a runway to the point of attack and the ravens aren’t a running team that builds their scheme around under centre runs, in fact we’re built around shotgun/pistol and meshpoints

There’s no synergy here that makes any sense to me

Agree. I never liked the Henry to Baltimore mindset.

Baltimorican

Practice Squad
Agree. I never liked the Henry to Baltimore mindset.

As we found out against KC, the Ravens just aren't the Ravens when they can't pound the football hammer style. In a limited role with the eyes on Jackson and probably for about 4m + incentives, I'd expect Henry to have a very strong bounce back year.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
As we found out against KC, the Ravens just aren't the Ravens when they can't pound the football hammer style. In a limited role with the eyes on Jackson and probably for about 4m + incentives, I'd expect Henry to have a very strong bounce back year.
OK, there's a lot of guys who can hammer the ball. The draft has plenty of them.
And he'll retire before he plays for $4M. He's made at least $10M for four straight years. He's not taking a 60% paycut after a 1K yard season.

Thezone27

Ravens Ring of Honor
I expected Nelly back. It's the best fit he's ever had team and role wise, low expectations and he can just do what he does best. Quality #3/4 guy.
Odell won't come back, we need Zay Flowers to be innocent and Bateman to step it up big time

Baltimorican

Practice Squad
OK, there's a lot of guys who can hammer the ball. The draft has plenty of them.
And he'll retire before he plays for $4M. He's made at least $10M for four straight years. He's not taking a 60% paycut after a 1K yard season.

I don't think he gets signed before the draft and when he does get signed I expect the actual expected value to be somewhere in the 6-7m w about 4m fully guaranteed. The exact same trepidations you all have the whole league will have them too.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don't think he gets signed before the draft and when he does get signed I expect the actual expected value to be somewhere in the 6-7m w about 4m fully guaranteed. The exact same trepidations you all have the whole league will have them too.
I think it'll be more than that, but that's still a price range I'd want the Ravens to want nothing to do with.

Baltimorican

Practice Squad
I think it'll be more than that, but that's still a price range I'd want the Ravens to want nothing to do with.

I think its more likely he gets picked up Philly or Dallas. A 2 yr deal dressed as a 3 yr deal that will have him in the 6-7m top end platoon back range. I think he would fit great here as a 200 touch guy, really only reason not to is we have more pressing priorities.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

but why do you think that?
he's not someone who's worked out of the meshpoint for his entire career and has never been a good stop-start back

we're not an under centre team which means he won't get the same runway, likewise we're a team that uses the meshpoint which slows down the handoff even more which reduces his acceleration window even further

not saying he'd be bad but we wouldnt get the best version of derrick henry and that's even before we take into account that he's a guy on the decline

and no upside in the passing game either

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Glad to see Zay "cleared" to some extent. Hope for his sake that the situation was overblown rather than some of the other stuff people do to get out of it, but we'll almost surely never know.
Jeff Z provided some clarity on this investigation. Looks like the investigation has been suspended instead of closed.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
It was cool when dobbins went down and we were trying to pivot to win it all in 2023.

I don’t like it as an approach to team building in the offseason.
I'm not really interested in "bridge" players that much. As cheap fillers for depth (guys like Clowney, Van Noy, Darby, etc.), absolutely. Always need those guys.
We sign Henry, it's a very short deal, with probably no gtd $ beyond the first year, and we can easily be having this exact same conversation next year.
Get a RB that you can depend on for 150-200 carries for the next 3-4 years. That would be my goal. Which means the draft. Add in a cheap veteran for a year as a hedge against Mitchell not returning to form this year.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Any opinions on giving extensions to Stephens and Cleveland right now? Might work against our cap with signing bonus but both these guys are going to be integral to our team. They'll be FA's after this year.