• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2024 Offseason Thread

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Huge increase

I wonder if this is good or bad for owners? I know that nfl teams profit more than all the other sports franchises but with a cap increase, not literally ,but doesnt that mean owners will be eventually be spending more and more as cap increases? Probably not a big deal since tv deals and shit get them so much.. p

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I wonder if this is good or bad for owners? I know that nfl teams profit more than all the other sports franchises but with a cap increase, not literally ,but doesnt that mean owners will be eventually be spending more and more as cap increases? Probably not a big deal since tv deals and shit get them so much.. p
It's beneficial. The players get less than 50% of the top line revenue growth. So for every $ additional the Owners make, they're only really "required" to spend somewhere in the neighborhood of $0.45 of it on players. Theoretically, they can pocket the rest.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
So Madubuike stays? It might not help if he's tagged but this should help big time. Does the increase help us keep more players than we thought?
I think it makes all of our FAs more likely to leave, highest bidders have even more to bid with now. Although it makes the franchise tag much more attainable

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I think it makes all of our FAs more likely to leave, highest bidders have even more to bid with now. Although it makes the franchise tag much more attainable
I think it actually helps us to keep one player and hurts in signing good free agents, but doesn't really do a thing with those 2nd 3rd tier free agents that we sign after the draft. Basically I feel it does more good than bad.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'd recommend reading what Brian McFarland wrote, i.e. on the cap situation. It's improved with the cap set, but its not strong.
Effectively, we're in the range of ~$17M under today.
We will have ~$4M of earned incentive adjustments that still need to be included, plus any ERFAs we tender. And we also don't yet have the specifics on the Agholor deal.
So that ~$17M is, realistically, between ~$10-12M effectively.

So even on the high end, we're ~$10M short on even being able to FT Madubuike. And that would just to be in cap compliance. Wouldn't allow any wiggle room for other additions.

Note also they'll need ~$15M for draft picks, practice squad, in-season injuries and elevations, etc.

So we have a long, long ways to go. Obviously haven't made any cuts or known restructures. They're coming.
Still think Bowser gets cut.
Still think its very possible Moses gets cut
Still think there's a discussion about a paycut for Stanley
Still think either Ricard gets cut or extended
Still think Mekari gets extended

And I think you're going to see several contract restructures. Lamar, Marcus and Marlon being the three most likely.

I'll also be the guy to say it... I don't think tagging JM is a formality. I think there's plenty of scenarios where financially its just not an option. I think they'll push for an extension in the next few weeks, and if nothing is reached, may opt to let him hit the market and see what the price is. I think people are underestimating the impact of what a $22M cap hit for him does to the ability to construct a roster. There's no cap flexibility there until he gets extended, and you can't guarantee he gets extended. The only other viable reason to FT him is to tag and trade in the Summer if you can't reach an extension.

JAAM

Hall of Famer

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
Fuck this guy
Not the first time either, there’s that video of him threatening his ex wife or something belligerent at the front door trying to break in, or at least pretending to. One positive of the patriots winning that super bowl I suppose

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Not the first time either, there’s that video of him threatening his ex wife or something belligerent at the front door trying to break in, or at least pretending to. One positive of the patriots winning that super bowl I suppose
For a guy that went to Stanford and all, he's pretty stupid.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Unfortunately being smart is no longer a criteria for entering a major university in this country. It’s just a means to an end for gifted athletes.
You can be book smart and thats it!! No common sense, not a good problem solver or nothing… just simply book smart.. i also dnt know a single person who drinks and never driven drunk before

You can be book smart and thats it!! No common sense, not a good problem solver or nothing… just simply book smart.. i also dnt know a single person who drinks and never driven drunk before
I’d be lying if I said I never did it. The problem with alcohol is that it deprives all people of common sense and better judgement. Sherman is a grown ass man with plenty of $$. Call a taxi, or Uber.