• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2024 Offseason Thread

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Right. But I guess what I’m getting at is has anyone actually reported on Jackson saying this or is it just some text on top of a picture?
It doesn't matter if he said it or not though. Every single QB in the league does this. It's nothing special. They convert salary to bonus to lower their cap hit. Rinse, repeat. Pretty much every franchise QB in the league you'll find doing this. Almost annually.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I keep seeing that Moses might be cut and I really don't get it. He played well and isn't too expensive. It can't just be because he finished the year injured, can it?
Is he significantly better than Mekari? You can take some of the $5.5M, give it to Mekari in an extension, and draft a Tackle in day 1 or 2 of the draft. You'll have four tackles on the roster at that point.

He's also 33 and there's pretty much no chance he'd be on the roster in '25, so its just a question of whether he plays out this year or he's gone.

Nurps

Ravens Ring of Honor
It doesn't matter if he said it or not though. Every single QB in the league does this. It's nothing special. They convert salary to bonus to lower their cap hit. Rinse, repeat. Pretty much every franchise QB in the league you'll find doing this. Almost annually.
Right. But my question is still unanswered although you sounded really smart there. Thanks.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
IMG_3253.jpeg

Ignore the draft picks.

Kyle Hamilton for Jefferson straight up.

Would you do it?

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
View attachment 5981

Ignore the draft picks.

Kyle Hamilton for Jefferson straight up.

Would you do it?
Not gonna bull shit you, i wouldnt trade hamilton for jefferson and a first.. atleast not last yrs hamilton. Andy reid, likely top 3 greatest offensive mind in history and other than a perfect throw by mahommes, it was nothing he could do about hamilton.. put jaire on jeffro and you have containment

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler
Is he significantly better than Mekari? You can take some of the $5.5M, give it to Mekari in an extension, and draft a Tackle in day 1 or 2 of the draft. You'll have four tackles on the roster at that point.

He's also 33 and there's pretty much no chance he'd be on the roster in '25, so its just a question of whether he plays out this year or he's gone.
Moses has clearly been the best Tackle on the team for the last 2 years and we've got him for another year at a reasonable price. Why mess with that just because he'll not be around in 25?

Mekari is on the cap for a similar amount to Moses, with only $1M less in savings if he's cut. I like him but are we sure he's safe? If we draft a Tackle we'd have Stanley + [Draft Pick] on the left and Moses + Faalele on the right and they don't seem to consider him a Guard or Center anymore

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Moses has clearly been the best Tackle on the team for the last 2 years and we've got him for another year at a reasonable price. Why mess with that just because he'll not be around in 25?

Mekari is on the cap for a similar amount to Moses, with only $1M less in savings if he's cut. I like him but are we sure he's safe? If we draft a Tackle we'd have Stanley + [Draft Pick] on the left and Moses + Faalele on the right and they don't seem to consider him a Guard or Center anymore
I mean I think the gap between Moses and Mekari is very small. Miss very little if Moses misses time and Mekari fills in.

I think Mekari is getting extended to reduce his cap #, considering he's 5 years younger and can play five positions on the Oline. He was the reserve Center all last year basically, since they never had a reserve Center on the active 53 man.

There's also no certainty that a) there's going to be a draft pick and b) that draft pick will be the Swing at LT in year 1. Most likely, Mekari will remain the swing at LT, and it'll be Faalele and a draft pick competing at RT.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I mean I think the gap between Moses and Mekari is very small. Miss very little if Moses misses time and Mekari fills in.

I think Mekari is getting extended to reduce his cap #, considering he's 5 years younger and can play five positions on the Oline. He was the reserve Center all last year basically, since they never had a reserve Center on the active 53 man.

There's also no certainty that a) there's going to be a draft pick and b) that draft pick will be the Swing at LT in year 1. Most likely, Mekari will remain the swing at LT, and it'll be Faalele and a draft pick competing at RT.
Sam Mustipher was our reserve center. Not sure how many games he was active though.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Sam Mustipher was our reserve center. Not sure how many games he was active though.
Sort of. He was active for 11 of 17 games, and inactive in the playoffs. He started the two weeks that Linderbaum was injured.

From week 12 through the playoffs, he was inactive in 6 of 8 games, he played sparingly against Miami, and played a ton against Pittsburgh as we rested starters.

So in the back half of the season, if Linderbaum was injured mid-game, Mekari was the reserve Center.