• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2024 Offseason Thread

all based on the consensus board so not sure it gives you that much of an insight

lions class last year would have been ranked very low on this graphic, yet they may have had the best class in the NFL
It's useless. You just need the smartest person in the world to tell us whether the picks are good or bad. Lucky that guy posts on this board.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
So it does seem like the players we drafted on the OL are continuing our transition away from gap power to zone blocking scheme. Per James Ogden, we ran majority gap power early in the season and then later in the season were about 50/50. This would explaiin trading Moses and drafting of Rosengarten who is an athletic tackle and a fit for ZBS. He also didn't allow a sack over the last couple years and protected the blind side of Penix, who is a left handed QB. Even the center we drafted, Sumac, is an athletic Center who also may be able to play guard and a fit in the ZBS scheme.

Monken also ran more zbs than gap at Georgia and having more of a ZBS scheme would help with our screen game, which Monken does like to use a fair amount.

Simba

Staff Member
So it does seem like the players we drafted on the OL are continuing our transition away from gap power to zone blocking scheme. Per James Ogden, we ran majority gap power early in the season and then later in the season were about 50/50. This would explaiin trading Moses and drafting of Rosengarten who is an athletic tackle and a fit for ZBS. He also didn't allow a sack over the last couple years and protected the blind side of Penix, who is a left handed QB. Even the center we drafted, Sumac, is an athletic Center who also may be able to play guard and a fit in the ZBS scheme.

Monken also ran more zbs than gap at Georgia and having more of a ZBS scheme would help with our screen game, which Monken does like to use a fair amount.
Wouldn't be shocking at all to me that if Faalele looks as inconsistent as he has in his career so far, that he's moved around cut day. Doesn't really fit what we're moving towards.

Simba

Staff Member
Post draft, I feel like you could argue that we still need to sign...

Legitimate competition:
OG
ILB
S

TC veteran depth:
RB (low on healthy bodies here)
WR (WR7 would be a UDFA at this point)

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
Our defense is going to be solid as fuck, we got a great front, middle and back player , and the CBs ain’t too shabby either

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I think this explains what is going on with our offensive line and the drafting of more athletic lineman and to be more 50/50 with ZBS and Gap scheme.....just as they were at the end of the season.

Todd Monkens Addition to Ravens Coaching Staff Enhances Versatility

Todd Monken Changed Georgia, but Kirby Smart put the plan in motion

Everything's easier to see in a table. Here's the Zone-run info from that above piece:

Georgia Offense
YearCoordinatorZone-run pct
2018Jim Chaney88.1% Zone
2019James Coley83.9% Zone
2020Monken71.7% Zone
2021Monken51.7% Zone

Monken took over a Georgia program that was close to 90% Zone runs, and over a couple years he moved them close to 50-50 zone vs gap. Here he took over a Baltimore program that was very gap-heavy with its runs (I don't know the pct), and he probably wants to move them closer to 50-50.

Last edited:

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Wouldn't be shocking at all to me that if Faalele looks as inconsistent as he has in his career so far, that he's moved around cut day. Doesn't really fit what we're moving towards.

he might be in a straight up competition with josh jones for OT4

it also shouldnt be overstated that we're completely moving away from Roman's gap/power stuff
we still do all that stuff a ton - just introduced an explosive inside/outside zone to our toolkit

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Post draft, I feel like you could argue that we still need to sign...

Legitimate competition:
OG
ILB
S

TC veteran depth:
RB (low on healthy bodies here)
WR (WR7 would be a UDFA at this point)

im not sure about OG
when we didnt get someone on day 2, made it hard to imagine we'd find someone to upgrade one of those positions

we feel pretty confident that ben cleveland can at least give us ok enough play at RG so then it's down to Vorhees, Sala and Josh Jones to find a LG

i think if we sign an OG it's only going to be after we've had a look at Vorhees in year 1 and Sala in year 2 and got some idea of what they look like

i imagine RB and WR are going to be udfas to bring to camp

LB and S could definitely add, moreso at safety than LB

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I think there's at least a small chance that Samac could get a shot at G. Everyone I've been watching like Edgar and All22 and reading seem to really like this guy.

Also EDC said he'd have a shot there. So there's that.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
I am excited to see what kind of defense we are going to have.

This secondary looks insane.

I once again will bring this up. I need to see something from Ojabo and Oweh. We are going on year 3 (really year 2 for Ojabo bc of injury)

Enough is enough with those two. They are holding the pass rush unit back even though we played well despite the lack of production from them. We needed two guys off the street to have career years

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Still don’t trust Bate as our #2

Simba

Staff Member
im not sure about OG
when we didnt get someone on day 2, made it hard to imagine we'd find someone to upgrade one of those positions

we feel pretty confident that ben cleveland can at least give us ok enough play at RG so then it's down to Vorhees, Sala and Josh Jones to find a LG

i think if we sign an OG it's only going to be after we've had a look at Vorhees in year 1 and Sala in year 2 and got some idea of what they look like

i imagine RB and WR are going to be udfas to bring to camp

LB and S could definitely add, moreso at safety than LB
For G, it seems a vet might be worth adding. I’m personally not convinced Jones is an option there, but very well could be wrong. But I don’t think it would be anyone with heavy guarantees. Just someone that’s played in the league and can push the young guys.

For RB and WR, I’m thinking Gordon and Treadwell types. Based on health right now, RB3 would be Owen Wright. At WR, Sean Ryan would be WR7.

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
I am excited to see what kind of defense we are going to have.

This secondary looks insane.

I once again will bring this up. I need to see something from Ojabo and Oweh. We are going on year 3 (really year 2 for Ojabo bc of injury)

Enough is enough with those two. They are holding the pass rush unit back even though we played well despite the lack of production from them. We needed two guys off the street to have career years
Yea, the one thing we haven’t been able to nail in the draft is pass rusher, Judon in the 5th is the last good one I can think of, before him Zadarious in the 4th. And of course we didn’t pay either