• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2024 Forum Mock: Discussion Thread

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Thursday Free Agency Round 1 will start
How does this work? Is it like this?

2024-03-14 19:00 START to 2024-03-15 19:00 END
Only accepting bids on any FA player available that is more than 12 stars. Budget shopping not allowed yet

Or am I wrong?

Simba

Staff Member
How does this work? Is it like this?

2024-03-14 19:00 START to 2024-03-15 19:00 END
Only accepting bids on any FA player available that is more than 12 stars. Budget shopping not allowed yet

Or am I wrong?
No formal end to the session. Bid your high or close to it off the bat. If no one outbids you after holding the bid for 24 hours (at least in session 1), the player is yours.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
please make sure you are updating your depth chart, with any players you sign during free agency. Also, please update the Big Board whenever you make a trade that involves draft picks and also update the State of the Franchise (SoF) with all of the comp picks you may have acquired. Remember to also change the amount of players, including draft picks, you have at the bottom left of the SoF.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
No formal end to the session. Bid your high or close to it off the bat. If no one outbids you after holding the bid for 24 hours (at least in session 1), the player is yours.
Ahhhhhhh so FA is continuous you just place a bid on a player for a specific amount and then wait for any additional bids and when the time elapses they are yours

Simba

Staff Member
Ahhhhhhh so FA is continuous you just place a bid on a player for a specific amount and then wait for any additional bids and when the time elapses they are yours
Correct. And split into tiers to try to simulate real life as much as possible - high value players first and guys close to the minimum last. Idea was that if you miss on an expensive guy at a position, you still have a shot at a lower level guy in a future phase.

Gets rid of minimum bids on guys like Lamar Jackson if they were to make it to FA. Start at your max or close to it off the bat and you get the player sooner, or know you have to move on sooner.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
Correct. And split into tiers to try to simulate real life as much as possible - high value players first and guys close to the minimum last. Idea was that if you miss on an expensive guy at a position, you still have a shot at a lower level guy in a future phase.

Gets rid of minimum bids on guys like Lamar Jackson if they were to make it to FA. Start at your max or close to it off the bat and you get the player sooner, or know you have to move on sooner.
So no more final 5?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
So no more final 5?
oh yeah, forgot you didn't play last year. Nope, final 5 is only during the RFA period. It would be a good idea for everyone to refresh their memory on how the four Free Agency periods work.

We start Phase 1 tomorrow at 7pm

Thezone27

Ravens Ring of Honor
I am definitely going to need someone to cover for me tmrw at FA. Is there a list of FAs somewhere?

Simba

Staff Member
I've had a couple of people reach out via PM, so will do my best to explain a bit here. If you have further questions, post them here or reach out.

Free agency has been revamped in order to encourage people to bid their max (or close to it) early, while also allowing for opportunities to still fill holes if a market is more robust than you anticipated.

In phase 1, only 12 star bids or more will be accepted. If you value a player at 50 stars, it's advisable that you bid that or close to it off the bat so that you can secure your player sooner. There is no formal end date to any phase, so you have to hold the bid for 24 hours in order to win the player. While most bids are wrapped up before we start phase 2, there may still be some bid wars going on. If you bid your max, you lessen the chance that you'll have money tied up for future phases. I cannot recommend it enough - start strong with your bids.

Future phases will all operate the same way, but with different minimum star amounts and different hold the high bid periods per phase. Please check the rule thread. Please note that you are not limited to 8-12 stars in phase 2 (and successive phases). If you get into a bid war in phase 2 and wish to exceed the 12 star minimum as indicated in phase 1, that is more than okay.

52520Andrew

Pro Bowler
Just want to say as someone who played last year and in previous versions of free agency, this version is much better. There is maybe a small adjustment period but it just flows a lot nicer. I think people will be very happy with it compared to a final 5 scramble at the end