• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2019 WR Thread

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Andy Isabella is... interesting. He looks like a solid deep threat and gadget guy, dare I say a very poor mans Tyreek Hill, he’s explosive and fast and shifty and a crafty runner. I hate his route running because he clearly could be a good route runner but he does so much foot chopping and false steps and takes so long to make his break, and they look sloppy, any WR coach should knock that out of his ass quickly though. He’s a little guy for sure and looks like he just lacks the length and mass to handle #1 corners so he’s gonna have to move around a lot. He should go in round 4 at the earliest, but it would a good round 4 pick because speed kills and he’s got it, and he looks like he could at worst become a gadget and slot guy with homerun ability, and his ceiling to me looks like a slot guy with an unusually high YPC as he is used vertically more than a lot of slots.

Far from my first choice but I could see where Isabella looks like a BPA early on day 3

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
On Brett Kohlman's DK take:

I agree with most of what he said. But he didn't mention DK's availability as a limiting factor. He didn't mention DK's broken neck; which scares me more then anything else about him as prospect. Injured guys scare me. Call it the Malcom Kelly syndrome....loved him as prospect and I thought oh his knees will be alright....*wrong*.

Also, when I see DK I see a prospect that has proven to show translatable strengths .....but there are other receivers that share some of those same translatable outside route running ability....verticals, posts, slants, curls but they also show the ability in other areas that DK hasn't....which would make them for me a higher rated prospect. eg. IF DK checks the box on 6 of 13 traits but another prospect checks off 9 of 13 then the question becomes whether or not DK's superiority in what he does enough to rank him ahead of the prospect that has shown he can do more?

Another fear is there are absolutely no WRs in the NFL that have had any success from Ole Miss. The closest in recent years is TE Evan Engram, but he isn't a wide receiver. I'm trying to get over this fear, but keep coming back to it.

I like DK but he scares me. I'll admit that when it comes to injured prospects i'm stuck in my fears. Same w/ Marquise Brown. If I was a GM I would be scared of him/them and I like them and root for them both.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I hate his route running because he clearly could be a good route runner but he does so much foot chopping and false steps and takes so long to make his break, and they look sloppy, any WR coach should knock that out of his ass quickly though

interestingly his route running and especially those false steps (almost like hes trying to beat press despite being given a cushion) improved a huge amount just through the senior bowl week when he suddenly had nfl coaches helping - he looked similar in college in the first day and by the end of the week had majorly improved...

tells me a lot about his coachability

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Another WR I like, but project him as a big slot in the NFL is AJ Brown. He is probably the safest WR in this draft and I do feel he will be a successful receiver that will do well, but again as a big slot. I wouldn't be upset if we drafted him.

agree with this pretty much - he's 100% the safest receiver prospect in the class for me because even if he never develops enough to consistently beat press he's always going to have space to work as a big slot in the worst case + he's so clean and good with the ball in his hands after the catch that he'll always be a useful player

if we took him id be unenthused but not necessarily disappointed per se - he's not the dynamic weapon/playmaker that id hope for but at worst he's a solid contributor and probably starts from day 1 as a rookie

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
the only thing I'm afraid about with Deebo is his injury history. I could see him having a lot of hamstring issues in college and he is one of if not my favorite WR prospects in the 2019 class.
He seemed to bounce back during his senior year so I think he'll be fine.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Another WR I like, but project him as a big slot in the NFL is AJ Brown. He is probably the safest WR in this draft and I do feel he will be a successful receiver that will do well, but again as a big slot. I wouldn't be upset if we drafted him.

Join the AJ brown hype train. Good route runner with strong hands. Got drafted by the Padres, so I think his hands eyes coordination is pretty good. I see him as a faster Anquan Boldin. Try him on the outside. 4.49 40 at the combine. If it doesn’t work, move him back inside next year when Snead contract is up. Highest floor of any WR in this draft

Charm City

Pro Bowler
Everything I've heard about our offense this offseason is that Greg Roman is putting a whole new system in place centered around Lamar jackson and the run game. Jackson's strengths have been crossing routes and ball fakes in the backfield thus far. With those two things in mind, I think all signs point to us taking Parris Campbell in the first. He excels at the jet sweep, catching screens, running over the middle and getting YAC, and at 6'0 has positional versatility across the WR positions.

He may not be the most polished WR, but his skills definitely mesh with Lamar's and will allow them to grow together.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
He seemed to bounce back during his senior year so I think he'll be fine.
yes, but hamstrings tend to come and go. Just because he was good this year doesn't mean he will be in his NFL career. I like him and absolutely would love having him, but it would concern me as well.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Everything I've heard about our offense this offseason is that Greg Roman is putting a whole new system in place centered around Lamar jackson and the run game. Jackson's strengths have been crossing routes and ball fakes in the backfield thus far. With those two things in mind, I think all signs point to us taking Parris Campbell in the first. He excels at the jet sweep, catching screens, running over the middle and getting YAC, and at 6'0 has positional versatility across the WR positions.

He may not be the most polished WR, but his skills definitely mesh with Lamar's and will allow them to grow together.
That’s exactly what I said, he’s a natural fit for our offense even though I don’t necessarily love him as a regular WR. If Roman is dialing up some creative shit with Campbell as a centerpiece then he’s a weapon, with lamar in the shotgun/pistol with Ingram at his side and jet motions for Campbell, I mean shit we could call that on almost every snap and it would be chaos for defenses to have to account for everything, you crash the middle with LBs so your front doesn’t part wide open on the handoff, you sell out to contain the edge because lamar and Campbell are such a threat, and that MIGHT stop all the option threats, defense does all this then you take the pass option and have Andrews and hurst and Snead running WIDE open. If both edges aren’t contained then one of lamar or Campbell on the handoff will do damage.

Like I said I don’t like Campbell as an nfl wr but if he’s gonna thrive on any team, it’s ours. If he develops a full and refined route tree though he wouldn’t just be a gadget for us but a real weapon.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Join the AJ brown hype train. Good route runner with strong hands. Got drafted by the Padres, so I think his hands eyes coordination is pretty good. I see him as a faster Anquan Boldin. Try him on the outside. 4.49 40 at the combine. If it doesn’t work, move him back inside next year when Snead contract is up. Highest floor of any WR in this draft
I haven't seen anything with him contested balls or atleast I haven't seen anything. He has a free release on the LoS playing from the slot and hasn't shown vertical ability in college. His 4.49 in a 40 yard dash doesn't mean much to me. I'd play him at his strengths, in the slot, and line him up occasionally on the outside.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
My thing with aj brown is that I just don’t want a big slot or a tough possession slot guy. If we’re gonna get a big possession style guy I’d rather have one that works outside well, we have Andrews, Snead, and hurst, so a big slot, a tough possession slot, and a TE, why get a wr who basically has to split snaps with one of those guys? For those who want brown, I point to kelvin harmon, who brings similar limitations as brown but one thing he has over him is his ability to haul in a contested catch and work the sideline incredibly well, he can do with one foot of space on the boundary what most receivers can’t do with 2 yards. He’s a similar route runner in that he does more with leverage and positioning than sharp routes for quick separation, but the key is that he stacks down the sideline and can make a contested grab over a #1 cb, these are things I have yet to see from brown.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Frankly the WR problem is overblown, at least for this year. We have three good pass catchers on the outside and since we are going to be running a lot of two TE sets(and three TE sets) anyways, what we really need is another deep threat to make the defenses respect the deep ball to open the run game more for Lamar and Ingram.

Getting a guy this year is a good idea, but next year's WR class is SO much better. The guy we get this year doesn't need to be a superstar, just a good player.

I'd rather we focus on the strengths of this draft. The trenches are where the draft is really strong, and where we are bleeding the most. Yes, the WR corps is important for a young QB, but with Lamar the team is really going to struggle if we cannot run the ball consistently, and can't rush the passer.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Frankly the WR problem is overblown, at least for this year. We have three good pass catchers on the outside and since we are going to be running a lot of two TE sets(and three TE sets) anyways, what we really need is another deep threat to make the defenses respect the deep ball to open the run game more for Lamar and Ingram.

Getting a guy this year is a good idea, but next year's WR class is SO much better. The guy we get this year doesn't need to be a superstar, just a good player.

I'd rather we focus on the strengths of this draft. The trenches are where the draft is really strong, and where we are bleeding the most. Yes, the WR corps is important for a young QB, but with Lamar the team is really going to struggle if we cannot run the ball consistently, and can't rush the passer.

who are these 3 good outside pass receivers?
because i cant think of any - we've got 2 tight ends and a slot receiver on our roster unless ive missed some major signing in the last 10 hours - to me we dont have 3 good outside pass catchers - we've got 1 at most (and not really even that given that snead is a slot)

honestly i think the wr problem is going under the radar still - we have, bar-none, the worst situation at wr in the league right now by far both in terms of talent and depth... we have very low overall talent/pedigree in that position group and we also have the fewest options too - we have only 5 wrs on the roster at the moment (for some teams that's not even enough for the final 53 let alone the 90-man roster) - the team with the next fewest has 7 and there's only 1 incidence of that - most teams have at least 9 on their roster at this point already

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Yes it’s overblown. Our identity is probably going to be heavily predicated on two TE sets with both playing inline which means we run two WRs too. Snead will be able to play where he is. We need one more guy max, at least for this year. I think a deep threat will be found in the draft. Next year, fix it.

This is not the draft to use our capital, which we don’t have much of, to build the WR corps. We have bigger issues right now, especially the pass rush and the long term status of the oline.

I don’t think we are in win now mode like some think. Lamar’s development predicates far more on a good line and defense right now than outside pass catchers. Cross that bridge next year.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Current WR rankings for this team

Tier One: Guys who can become NFL #1 WRS

1. DK Metcalf: The biggest boom or bust prospect in this draft. If he goes to the right team, all pro. Wrong team. Bust. Too big to press, to fast to play against in zone. Forces defenses to declare themselves immediately. Good at screens, gos, posts, curls, and slants. Great blocker and good piece to have Lamar grow with. Biggest issue: Inconsitent hands.

2. Deebo Samuel: Most well rounded receiver in the draft. Great speed, good route runner, contested grabs. Versatile. The safest WR prospect in the draft.

Biggest issue: Health

3. Parris Campbell: Underrated route runner, better hands than given credit for. Home run hitter. Provides a threat the defense cannot ignore.

Biggest issue: Inconsistent hands

4. Hollywood Brown: Electric, most explosive player in the draft. Good route runner, good hands. Frame raises concerns for availability but if he cano handle punishment, will be a game breaker.

Tier 2: High end #2s, or low end #1s.

5. JJ Arcega-Whiteside: Polished, big and knows how to use his size. Good route runner, good run blocker. Great fit on this team.

Biggest issues: Overblown concerns about separation.

6. Kelvin Harmon: See the same issues that Arcega Whiteside has. Better route runner, not as good at contest grabs.

Biggest issues: Overblown concerns about separation

7. Riley Ridley: Great route runner. Not a great athlete, but such a good route runner that he will be productive at the NFL level.

Biggest issue: Average athlete.

8. Jakobi Meyers: Explosive WR, good hands, underrated WR. Could be game wrecker from the slot.

Biggest issue: Slot only. But a slot WR you could run your offense through.

9. AJ Brown: Big slot WR. Safe pick. Good route runner and hands.
Biggest issue: slot only big. Will be in the league for a long time as a slot guy, but not an outside guy. Too slow for outside, doesn't use his size well enough to compensate. He's a upgraded version of Marlon Brown.

10. Terry McLaurin: Great route runner, has a knack to find soft spots in the defense. Good at everything.

Biggest issue: Does not play as fast as his 40 time indicates and is a possesion only WR.

Will continue later.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
[
Current WR rankings for this team

Tier One: Guys who can become NFL #1 WRS

1. DK Metcalf: The biggest boom or bust prospect in this draft. If he goes to the right team, all pro. Wrong team. Bust. Too big to press, to fast to play against in zone. Forces defenses to declare themselves immediately. Good at screens, gos, posts, curls, and slants. Great blocker and good piece to have Lamar grow with. Biggest issue: Inconsitent hands.

2. Deebo Samuel: Most well rounded receiver in the draft. Great speed, good route runner, contested grabs. Versatile. The safest WR prospect in the draft.

Biggest issue: Health

3. Parris Campbell: Underrated route runner, better hands than given credit for. Home run hitter. Provides a threat the defense cannot ignore.

Biggest issue: Inconsistent hands

4. Hollywood Brown: Electric, most explosive player in the draft. Good route runner, good hands. Frame raises concerns for availability but if he cano handle punishment, will be a game breaker.

Tier 2: High end #2s, or low end #1s.

5. JJ Arcega-Whiteside: Polished, big and knows how to use his size. Good route runner, good run blocker. Great fit on this team.

Biggest issues: Overblown concerns about separation.

6. Kelvin Harmon: See the same issues that Arcega Whiteside has. Better route runner, not as good at contest grabs.

Biggest issues: Overblown concerns about separation

7. Riley Ridley: Great route runner. Not a great athlete, but such a good route runner that he will be productive at the NFL level.

Biggest issue: Average athlete.

8. Jakobi Meyers: Explosive WR, good hands, underrated WR. Could be game wrecker from the slot.

Biggest issue: Slot only. But a slot WR you could run your offense through.

9. AJ Brown: Big slot WR. Safe pick. Good route runner and hands.
Biggest issue: slot only big. Will be in the league for a long time as a slot guy, but not an outside guy. Too slow for outside, doesn't use his size well enough to compensate. He's a upgraded version of Marlon Brown.

10. Terry McLaurin: Great route runner, has a knack to find soft spots in the defense. Good at everything.

Biggest issue: Does not play as fast as his 40 time indicates and is a possesion only WR.

Will continue later.
Yes it’s overblown. Our identity is probably going to be heavily predicated on two TE sets with both playing inline which means we run two WRs too. Snead will be able to play where he is. We need one more guy max, at least for this year. I think a deep threat will be found in the draft. Next year, fix it.

This is not the draft to use our capital, which we don’t have much of, to build the WR corps. We have bigger issues right now, especially the pass rush and the long term status of the oline.

I don’t think we are in win now mode like some think. Lamar’s development predicates far more on a good line and defense right now than outside pass catchers. Cross that bridge next year.
No it isn't overblown at all. Snead is ok but imho slightly overrated. We have one average/good WR on our roster. What I don't get is your ranking of Metcalf. you said you don't want us to draft a WR who has a high bust potential when I mentioned Butler.