• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2019 WR Thread

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
[

No it isn't overblown at all. Snead is ok but imho slightly overrated. We have one average/good WR on our roster. What I don't get is your ranking of Metcalf. you said you don't want us to draft a WR who has a high bust potential when I mentioned Butler.
With your slot receiver it’s rarely about talent and more about chemistry and the clutch factor, welker, amendola, Sheppard, Baldwin, etc. none of these guys are spectacular talents by any means, they’re just refined, clutch, and their qb can rely on them.

That’s exactly what we have in Snead, lamar clearly has chemistry with him and Snead was money on third down, covered or open if the ball was in arms reach he came down with it. That’s what you want from a slot receiver. There is no reason to experiment by taking out Lamar’s most trusted target for someone we think might be slightly more talented

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
With your slot receiver it’s rarely about talent and more about chemistry and the clutch factor, welker, amendola, Sheppard, Baldwin, etc. none of these guys are spectacular talents by any means, they’re just refined, clutch, and their qb can rely on them.

That’s exactly what we have in Snead, lamar clearly has chemistry with him and Snead was money on third down, covered or open if the ball was in arms reach he came down with it. That’s what you want from a slot receiver. There is no reason to experiment by taking out Lamar’s most trusted target for someone we think might be slightly more talented
Sorry, but I've never said that I want to take out Snead. Andrews might get some snaps out wide, but still we need two outside receivers. I don't want to take a gamble and hope a SSR type of WR becomes available.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Sorry, but I've never said that I want to take out Snead. Andrews might get some snaps out wide, but still we need two outside receivers. I don't want to take a gamble and hope a SSR type of WR becomes available.
My bad I misunderstood that lol. For some reason I thought you were saying Snead was average and needed to be replaced

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
never any harm in adding more talent - but certainly no point disparaging a guy who is the only useful tool at the position we have right now

he's not incredible but he's a perfect fit for lamar this year
Exactly. If we take a late round flyer on a slot guy that’s fine, I would just rather we don’t get a big slot receiver early to duplicate or replace what we already have in spades

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Exactly. If we take a late round flyer on a slot guy that’s fine, I would just rather we don’t get a big slot receiver early to duplicate or replace what we already have in spades

i mean i dont have a problem with getting someone who plays as a big slot in the building - snead's only under contract for 1 more year and we can use more than 1 slot receiver at a time... and a guy like brown can operate outside as well

its a different skillset too

Taze

Practice Squad
We absolutely need an upgrade at WR. Don't fool yourself this current WR corps isn't close to scaring anyone. Majority of defenses are just gonna go 1v1 while they sell out to stop the running game. I mean seriously why wouldn't they? I think we need some other legitimate threat aside from Lamar to capture defense's attention. He doesn't need to be elite, but a quality starter yes.

That being said, this WR class worries me and the complete lack of consensus only backs that up. There are some good ones for sure. Reaching for one is probably a bad idea though. A lot of them are pretty raw also, and there's basically a 0% success rate of the Ravens developing WRs. Next year's WR class looks much more appealing as of now too. So yeah I really do believe an upgrade is necessary, but missing on one early would really set us back. If there's not a WR drafted by at least the end of the 3rd I will be worried. Although I wouldn't rule out a trade for a vet WR at some point either.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Outside four names there isn't anything but massive complimentary pieces here. If you're looking for a game changer here, look for next year. Oline is more important and so is the pass rush.

It's gonna be a rough year in all likelihood. Young QB, more pro style offense. Should we draft a name? Yes. But acquiring multiple options in this draft would be a neglect of other positions, and a waste of draft capital frankly.

Am I okay with building the trenches this year and next year getting a Laviska Shenault, Collin Johnson? Yes. That sounds better to me than taking a bunch of guys who are never going to be game breakers at WR and neglecting the oline yet again.

You don't need a phenomenal WR corps to win games, you do need trenches. It's about damn time the team realizes that

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
[

No it isn't overblown at all. Snead is ok but imho slightly overrated. We have one average/good WR on our roster. What I don't get is your ranking of Metcalf. you said you don't want us to draft a WR who has a high bust potential when I mentioned Butler.
Metcalf has more boom than bust traits in my eyes. His hands are inconsistent. But that system was not built in mind for him to suceed and the QB was less than competent. He's got more than enough potential to be a game breaker. Butler has more than enough issues on his own. I feel like if Metcalf were drafted here AT WORST he'd be a good deep threat and run blocker for our run game.

And yes it is. This fanbase has become so hellbent on WR corps. I get it, we've never draft a #1 WR. This isn't the draft for that. These are all compliments. I agree, we should draft one, preferably a deep threat, but multiple guys? There's bigger needs at hand right now and we can address that next year when it's actually the strength of the draft.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Outside four names there isn't anything but massive complimentary pieces here. If you're looking for a game changer here, look for next year. Oline is more important and so is the pass rush.

It's gonna be a rough year in all likelihood. Young QB, more pro style offense. Should we draft a name? Yes. But acquiring multiple options in this draft would be a neglect of other positions, and a waste of draft capital frankly.

Am I okay with building the trenches this year and next year getting a Laviska Shenault, Collin Johnson? Yes. That sounds better to me than taking a bunch of guys who are never going to be game breakers at WR and neglecting the oline yet again.

You don't need a phenomenal WR corps to win games, you do need trenches. It's about damn time the team realizes that

you're right you dont need a phenomenal wr corps - but you also need to have a wide receiver corps - we have nothing at the position

and i disagree that there's only 4 potential starters in this draft - i reckon there's 9 or 10 guys who have a chance to be starters/significant contributors in year 1 - im not saying they will all hit but it's pretty tough to say that there are only 4 guys who can be those starter type players

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
you're right you dont need a phenomenal wr corps - but you also need to have a wide receiver corps - we have nothing at the position

and i disagree that there's only 4 potential starters in this draft - i reckon there's 9 or 10 guys who have a chance to be starters/significant contributors in year 1 - im not saying they will all hit but it's pretty tough to say that there are only 4 guys who can be those starter type players
That's not what I've been saying. There's 4 guys I could see as #1s. The rest of the class is a bunch of compliments and #2s and only about 6 of those before you get to your overhyped #3s because of how obsessed the fanbase is with the position. You probably misunderstood me.

We have nothing proven. We need a deep threat more than anything right now at WR. The four top guys can do that. We have little to no overall draft capital, overall it's not an impressive class. I'd be fine with drafting a WR, but there's bigger needs here and we need to stop approaching this offseason as if we are in win now mode. There's more needs right now than we have capital to spend. And if you're going to pick and choose your battles, investing in the trenches on both sides of the ball would be more valuable AT THIS CURRENT MOMENT than a WR corps. It's a need, but it should not be first on the pecking order this year. Next year is a different story, but next year there's supposed to be a historic level of talent there and we have signifcantly more capital to spend.

Let's not pretend that we're a couple of pieces away form contention. We're not. I'm as big a Lamar fan as anyone, he's going to have rough patches this year with or without a good WR corps, and he's going to have his moments too.

Invest in a WR for the sake of building more chemistry with Jackson? Sure, good idea, but the trenches and the pass rush are far more important right now. Let's save most of that for next year though where we can build Lamar a legit WR corps. This team right now is in a one step at a time rebuilding mode.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
That's not what I've been saying. There's 4 guys I could see as #1s. The rest of the class is a bunch of compliments and #2s and only about 6 of those before you get to your overhyped #3s because of how obsessed the fanbase is with the position. You probably misunderstood me.

a number 2 receiver is still a starting receiver on any NFL team - that's valuable - there's very few number 1 receivers in the league as a whole in general - and others have mentioned it before that you dont need a number 1 receiver to win a superbowl - but you do need starters at the position

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
a number 2 receiver is still a starting receiver on any NFL team - that's valuable - there's very few number 1 receivers in the league as a whole in general - and others have mentioned it before that you dont need a number 1 receiver to win a superbowl - but you do need starters at the position
And we have too many needs right now and WR is down on the pecking order and oline and the pass rush are far more important and this WR class just isn't worth it

rossihunter2

Staff Member
And we have too many needs right now and WR is down on the pecking order and oline and the pass rush are far more important and this WR class just isn't worth it

so what do we do at receiver in stead?
because at the moment we're gonna face 9 man boxes with safeties and corners cheating in the backfield too because there's no threat to them and the middle of the field will get cluttered and the tight ends and snead will have very little room to find space - and defences will blitz the hell out of us and lamar will have no time no matter who we have on the OL

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
so what do we do at receiver in stead?
because at the moment we're gonna face 9 man boxes with safeties and corners cheating in the backfield too because there's no threat to them and the middle of the field will get cluttered and the tight ends and snead will have very little room to find space - and defences will blitz the hell out of us and lamar will have no time no matter who we have on the OL
I've been saying it all along. Drafting a guy is not a bad idea. But multiple? In this class? It's insane. No fucking thank you. We don't have much capital overall. It's the definition of a waste.

The absolute best case scenario is that we draft back and acquire a lot of picks so everyone is happy.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Even then... No thanks. Im not really a big fan of this class and at best 3rd and fifth for us. But look, the majority of this WR class likely goes in the middle of the second towards top of the third.

It's a damned if you don't, damned if you do scenario. If you focus most of your limited capital on the WR corps, have fun running the ball. The league knows our gimmick now and one of Hurst or Skura will be starting, and then we're screwed. Then there's the contray where the offense is one dimmensional.

Look at it this way. The long game, which is what we need to realize what we are playing, favors the trenches. You want to build the WR corps this year, you miss the strengths of this draft and then likely let superior talent fall next year.

Trading back mitigates this issue, but oline and pass rush are clearly the bigger needs. I'd be shocked if we drafted more than a singular WR.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I've been saying it all along. Drafting a guy is not a bad idea. But multiple? In this class? It's insane. No fucking thank you. We don't have much capital overall. It's the definition of a waste.

The absolute best case scenario is that we draft back and acquire a lot of picks so everyone is happy.
Multiple can be fine, just depends on the rounds. I wouldn't be against a WR early, but not two with our first three picks. Maybe one early and one in the fourth, or a couple small school, high potential guys in the 4th and 5th. We need at least one more reliable WR, but you're right that O-line and passrush are more important.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
holy crap Jazz Ferguson is LONG... tall and has incredibly long arms - really interesting prospect - really raw route runner but shows some (inconsistent) ability to beat press and separate at different stages of a route and eats up cushions - and that catch radius is obscene

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
holy crap Jazz Ferguson is LONG... tall and has incredibly long arms - really interesting prospect - really raw route runner but shows some (inconsistent) ability to beat press and separate at different stages of a route and eats up cushions - and that catch radius is obscene
With his length and speed he has the ability to make one or two splash plays every game. And the potential to develop into something more than just a deep threat.