• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2019 WR Thread

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
What do you like about Slayton? I don't know anything about him.
He has good size, some of the fastest straight line speed of WRs in the draft, and decent hands. He's a deep threat with some ability to go over the middle in a crossing route if need be. And he shows the ability to adjust to the ball and make over the shoulder catches. His best trait is probably his awareness. He just seems to have a great understanding of what all is going on around him and where the defenders are.

I think his best comparison to an NFL WR would be someone like Mike Wallace. I see him a potentially really good WR 3, who'll make splash plays throughout the season, and force defenses to back up.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm late to the party on this. I just got round to watching Deebo Samuel. There is Deebo and then there is everyone else. It's that straight for me. Far and away the best guy I've seen.
But can you trust him with his extensive injury history. Hes probably the most talented of the group but his injury history knocks him down a little for me.

Reactions: cdp

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I'm late to the party on this. I just got round to watching Deebo Samuel. There is Deebo and then there is everyone else. It's that straight for me. Far and away the best guy I've seen.

Yep! Been saying this for awhile. I think he has the highest floor and ceiling combination. Only other guy I really like is Marquise Brown. I think he can be a Tyreek Hill like guy even if he never gets exactly to his level.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
But can you trust him with his extensive injury history. Hes probably the most talented of the group but his injury history knocks him down a little for me.
I'm not sure I could trust that or not with any player. Certainly you would want him cleared or OK'd by medical staff, I suppose. My understanding is that he had problems with his hamstring as a freshman, he broke his leg the following year and was clean last year. I might view the break as bad fortune that might befall anyone.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
He has good size, some of the fastest straight line speed of WRs in the draft, and decent hands. He's a deep threat with some ability to go over the middle in a crossing route if need be. And he shows the ability to adjust to the ball and make over the shoulder catches. His best trait is probably his awareness. He just seems to have a great understanding of what all is going on around him and where the defenders are.

I think his best comparison to an NFL WR would be someone like Mike Wallace. I see him a potentially really good WR 3, who'll make splash plays throughout the season, and force defenses to back up.
Ive got around to a couple games on him; He eats up a ton of cushion in a hurry...you can tell he can scoot. He has an ability to separate subtly with his hands with the ball in the air and at the last second, which I consider a high level but underrated WR knack.

seems to have good hands. quick feet and able to separate at top of stem pretty consistently. he's a deep threat.

One strange quirk/habit I noticed immediately (he's consistent with this), is that he always releases by lifting his back foot off the ground, steps back, plants and releases. This is sometimes used as an effective way to beat press but he does it against soft coverage all the time.

Simba

Staff Member

I think the big thing when it comes to medicals isn't necessarily being injury prone (unless you pull a hammy every other week like Campanaro), but rather what effect those major injuries have on the body. Broken leg? Sure, it's most likely just unlucky. That's where the medical team comes in and evaluats the long term implications, though. Is it healing properly? Has explosion been sapped? Other things like that. As I was mentioning for another prospect, my concern with the major injuries largely lies in the fact that the body can only take so much.

Based on the tape, I don't think Deebo has experienced a lack of explosion or ability due to the broken leg, but it's the other stuff that we'll just never know, and why we often see "surprises" falling down the board. It could be something as simple as a continuous build up of scar tissue that limits mobility, and we'll never really know that.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Ive got around to a couple games on him; He eats up a ton of cushion in a hurry...you can tell he can scoot. He has an ability to separate subtly with his hands with the ball in the air and at the last second, which I consider a high level but underrated WR knack.

seems to have good hands. quick feet and able to separate at top of stem pretty consistently. he's a deep threat.

One strange quirk/habit I noticed immediately (he's consistent with this), is that he always releases by lifting his back foot off the ground, steps back, plants and releases. This is sometimes used as an effective way to beat press but he does it against soft coverage all the time.

Andy Isabella had that exact same quirk/problem coming into the senior bowl and managed to improve drastically in that area within that week - it’s a very coachable issue that’s pretty easy to fix with consistent coaching in practice reps

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Prediction. Only one wide receiver is taken before our pick at 22. His name is Marquise Brown and he's going to Washington.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor

Well if one things for sure... Samuel L. Jackson would be the best WR / QB duo nickname since AC/DC (Amari cooper, Derek Carr)

Last edited:

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Interesting statistic. Over the last 10 drafts only 19 of the 125 WRs taken in the first three rounds have gone to the Pro Bowl.