• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2019 WR Thread

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Ya he seems strictly pegged for the slot which isnt a bad thing to say. I still think hes the safest bet at WR in this class. I see why you wouldnt see him as a fit though. I would get behind the pick but i just dont see it happening.

I feel Hollywood Brown would be the better fit and im really liking that idea the closer we get to the draft.

All i hope is that we trade down and get more picks.

I feel like all the guys we could want at 22 could be there later or even in the 2nd

Guys like Lindstrom, Brown, Deebo Samuel, Hakeem Butler or even maybe Bradburry could easily fall to round 2
Also depends on whether or not teams overdraft QB . I hope to see a couple of them leaving the green room (Murray, Haskings and Lock in top 10 and Jones top 15. This also makes it easier to find a partner to trade down.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Ya he seems strictly pegged for the slot which isnt a bad thing to say. I still think hes the safest bet at WR in this class. I see why you wouldnt see him as a fit though. I would get behind the pick but i just dont see it happening.

I feel Hollywood Brown would be the better fit and im really liking that idea the closer we get to the draft.

All i hope is that we trade down and get more picks.

I feel like all the guys we could want at 22 could be there later or even in the 2nd

Guys like Lindstrom, Brown, Deebo Samuel, Hakeem Butler or even maybe Bradburry could easily fall to round 2
One of the things I like about Marquise Brown if we go WR, is that he is a much easier pairing with a second wide receiver rounds 3-6

Been watching some AJ, Metcalf, Hollywood, Butler this morning.

I concur with most of you here that I can´t see AJ being a great day 1 pick for our team, as there´s no proof he can provide what we need: a WR that can
1. stretch the field
2. play outside and win jump balls
3. eventually block to clear running lanes

Metcalf can do both but it´s insanely inconsistent. Have seen him multiple times coming back to attack the ball and still let the ball through his hands (like C. Sutton last year).
Wouldn´t hate him as much as I hated Perryman years ago tho.

Hollywood can show some versatility and has threatening speed.
He´ll win with separation but let alone the contested catches. In this case we would still be looking for another complementary WR later on.
Also, with that name (albeit not supported by major evidence) scares the shoot out of me.. like he could become a big time diva and start to emulate the cousin

Butler is the only logical consequence to me.
Sure the unit would still need some serious improvement but you´re having 2 of those needs in check.
He´ll block the sheet out of you and will demand constant 1 on 1s due to the underrated after the catch ability.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
If we pick at 22 or somewhere later in the first round, I would be happy with Deebo Samuel, or Marquise Brown. No one else.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Actually there is more of a look at him being played tight at the line vs. Vanderbilt. My recollection is that he had a big game but that it was against off coverage (there is a beautiful back shoulder throw/catch).I'd say he is mostly a slot guy at the next level and he'll be a great pick or piece for someone but Im not crazy about him for us. I'd get behind it. I have him ranked high but he's a slot guy in large at the next level. My sense is that if he is wide, NFL CB's will not be threatened deep and will jam him successfully....He might well learn to get off. I wouldn't put it past him and I think The ravens might take him but I'm not sure you won't get the same production later and look somewhere else in. round one.

Good analysis, I second everything you said. That backshoulder holds promise, but otherwise I don't see him getting CB out of his hip pocket. He could improve with some cleaner footwork and more violent hands, but that's a projection.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Why is nobody here talking about Stanley Morgan Jr? Dude is extremely underrated! Well rounded prospect. Anybody else have an opinion on him??
he does everything well. Runs great routes, gets separation. I'm not sure why he isn't being talked about. I tend to blame the agent a lot when players aren't getting play in the media.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
There's zero projection as far as Metcalf's ability to beat press on the outside to me.
I actually think metcalf looks like he’ll be able to beat press, he doesn’t change direction well but he’s got blindingly quick feet and great acceleration as long as he’s not carrying momentum, he does well to chop feet and lean the shoulders hoping to find some leverage before stepping on the gas, it doesn’t always work, but I see the potential for it, he doesn’t look like the typical 6’5” H/W/S project guy when it comes to beating press. He also tends to keep those arms within his body at the line and plays forward, making his chest a harder target for the db.

Really he’s just gotta refine that hand use at the line, learn to use that length and strength better because he’s got some quicks to beat press but not enough to use ONLY his feet, the physicality has to make up a big portion of how he beats press at the next level.

And this is coming from a guy who doesn’t like metcalf

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Reading between the lines of what joe hortiz said on the lounge i reckon we’ve got 2 wrs with first round grades

And with how freely he was talking about metcalf I think either the ravens aren’t really that interested in him or they’re almost 100% confident he won’t get anywhere near 22 (or both)

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I actually think metcalf looks like he’ll be able to beat press, he doesn’t change direction well but he’s got blindingly quick feet and great acceleration as long as he’s not carrying momentum, he does well to chop feet and lean the shoulders hoping to find some leverage before stepping on the gas, it doesn’t always work, but I see the potential for it, he doesn’t look like the typical 6’5” H/W/S project guy when it comes to beating press. He also tends to keep those arms within his body at the line and plays forward, making his chest a harder target for the db.

Really he’s just gotta refine that hand use at the line, learn to use that length and strength better because he’s got some quicks to beat press but not enough to use ONLY his feet, the physicality has to make up a big portion of how he beats press at the next level.

And this is coming from a guy who doesn’t like metcalf
Yeah I said I had zero concern for him as far as beating press.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
the consensus around the league seems to be that marquise brown is the only receiver there's a general consensus about at all as a surefire first rounder...

less of a consensus on all the other receivers - thoughts are that 1 or 2 might also go (to me this suggests they will because the only way that's a "might" is if there are teams around the league with 1st round grades on those guys - thought to be AJ Brown and DK Metcalf - and it doesnt take a consensus for someone to get drafted)

Simba

Staff Member
the consensus around the league seems to be that marquise brown is the only receiver there's a general consensus about at all as a surefire first rounder...

less of a consensus on all the other receivers - thoughts are that 1 or 2 might also go (to me this suggests they will because the only way that's a "might" is if there are teams around the league with 1st round grades on those guys - thought to be AJ Brown and DK Metcalf - and it doesnt take a consensus for someone to get drafted)

I'm kind of shocked Brown is getting as much love as he is. Obviously, he's extremely talented, but I'm more shocked that teams are seemingly overlooking that lisfranc injury, especially for a guy who's game is predicated on speed. The first year especially is a rough recovery, and some never really get it all back.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I'm kind of shocked Brown is getting as much love as he is. Obviously, he's extremely talented, but I'm more shocked that teams are seemingly overlooking that lisfranc injury, especially for a guy who's game is predicated on speed. The first year especially is a rough recovery, and some never really get it all back.

my guess is the medicals checked out with everyone and at the combine

i just think that on tape he's the most dangerous playmaker on the board at wr and the injuries might predicate a drop but that teams in the middle/end of the first round wont be able to look past him

Simba

Staff Member
my guess is the medicals checked out with everyone and at the combine

i just think that on tape he's the most dangerous playmaker on the board at wr and the injuries might predicate a drop but that teams in the middle/end of the first round wont be able to look past him

Obviously when I say this, I know the doctors are not near on the same level, but someone I grew up playing soccer with had the dreaded lisfranc. In the recovery, everything looked completely fine until he started running again. It's just one of those tough injuries that you never really know until you get back out there. He ended up playing for a couple of years and then giving it up because it just never felt right again.

With that being said, teams clearly know better than I ever will, so if they sign off on it, who am I to say they're wrong? I'd just proceed with a lot of caution.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
While I'm not to hip on drafting a wideout in the 1st rd man I cant stop thinking N'Keal Harry would just be the perfect pick. First off a very sound blocker which if we gonna be run heavy is an unsung factor but he's a guy that would mainly line up on the outside. He might not have the greatest separation or speed but he's outstanding at getting his body in perfect position to not only wall off the defender but snag that ball. A real sound route runner that has good 1st step explosion. The one thing I noticed was that ball is secure the moment he grabs it and DOES NOT MOVE. Fuckin impressive!!! Everybody here loved Boldin and this man is the spitting image!!

ZonaRaven

Practice Squad
While I'm not to hip on drafting a wideout in the 1st rd man I cant stop thinking N'Keal Harry would just be the perfect pick. First off a very sound blocker which if we gonna be run heavy is an unsung factor but he's a guy that would mainly line up on the outside. He might not have the greatest separation or speed but he's outstanding at getting his body in perfect position to not only wall off the defender but snag that ball. A real sound route runner that has good 1st step explosion. The one thing I noticed was that ball is secure the moment he grabs it and DOES NOT MOVE. Fuckin impressive!!! Everybody here loved Boldin and this man is the spitting image!!

I like Harry's tape, but my fear with a guy who may not separate as well or as consistently is that it narrows the window of throws significantly. So many of his highlights are contested catches which are impressive to say the least, but if throws start being 5% over/under/left/right how many of those get picked. He'd be lethal for a QB like Brady or Rodgers who can throw him open.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
I like Harry's tape, but my fear with a guy who may not separate as well or as consistently is that it narrows the window of throws significantly. So many of his highlights are contested catches which are impressive to say the least, but if throws start being 5% over/under/left/right how many of those get picked. He'd be lethal for a QB like Brady or Rodgers who can throw him open.

If the ball is inaccurate I feel he'll get to it before the defender and tbh it's hard as shit to get wide open in the NFL. The plus for him is when he has the ball he has it. Firm and secure. Not the least bit of wobble. Dude's gotta have a strong arm with good technique. Idk I think he'd just be a great fit for our offense especially since he's an outside guy which we desperately need.