• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2019 RB Thread

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Appreciate it a lot man ;)
Too bad I don't have the knowledge to break things down like some other guys here, neither I can articulate myself like Truth lol
I wrote a shit ton of plays down about Winovich and Polite and hope I can bring some in here one these next week ends.

What about Barnes? I had seen some very good blocking plays from him as well. I just couldn't find enough tapes at that time.
I’d say you’re one of the more knowledgeable posters here with some of the best breakdowns. I wish I had the dedication to timestamp and create gifs and screenshots for breakdowns but instead I just watch and post thoughts lol.

I’d say you’re one of the more knowledgeable posters here with some of the best breakdowns. I wish I had the dedication to timestamp and create gifs and screenshots for breakdowns but instead I just watch and post thoughts lol.

Lol it's more compliments than I get from my gf in idk how long.
Well it's indeed a big time commitment to save plays, find a decent gif editor, optimize and upload them.
I'd like to do so much more, especially on EDs this year with the very deep class and the urging need. RB is also super deep coming day 2. For some reason I find myself watching more and more new material without breaking the old stuff down first.
One day I will make peace with my brain

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Lol it's more compliments than I get from my gf in idk how long.
Well it's indeed a big time commitment to save plays, find a decent gif editor, optimize and upload them.
I'd like to do so much more, especially on EDs this year with the very deep class and the urging need. RB is also super deep coming day 2. For some reason I find myself watching more and more new material without breaking the old stuff down first.
One day I will make peace with my brain
Yeah man I don’t have the free time or resources for any of that shit, I might even regret joining the forum mock because of it lol. I might get a few minutes to post some passing thoughts or something but I rarely have more than like a half hour to set aside and focus on something

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
tray blitz.gif

Trayveon reacts instantly to blitzing linebackers and gets there in a hurry to stop the rush.
Tray help.gif

He doesn't just hang out in case the tackle needs a chip. he gets on the edge rusher and stays on him.
tray corner.gif

recognizes corner blitz. stops flat route comes back and makes sure QB has time to deliver the ball.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
View attachment 1311
Trayveon reacts instantly to blitzing linebackers and gets there in a hurry to stop the rush.
View attachment 1312
He doesn't just hang out in case the tackle needs a chip. he gets on the edge rusher and stays on him.
View attachment 1313
recognizes corner blitz. stops flat route comes back and makes sure QB has time to deliver the ball.
There is a lot to like. He truely maximizes the yardage blocked for him and he had no problem turning upfield even against Bama. If there's no Safety help he's gone. He can easily break arm tackles with his speed although he doesn't stand much of a chance to break a tackle once he's wrapped.
I don't know if his frame allows him to get consistently 25+ runs a game.
Blocking wise he needs to clean up it a bit, but he throws himself into opponents twice his size and knows when to help his offensive line. I still need to check his route running.
Have you watched James Williams(Wazzu) tape yet?

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
There is a lot to like. He truely maximizes the yardage blocked for him and he had no problem turning upfield even against Bama. If there's no Safety help he's gone. He can easily break arm tackles with his speed although he doesn't stand much of a chance to break a tackle once he's wrapped.
I don't know if his frame allows him to get consistently 25+ runs a game.
Blocking wise he needs to clean up it a bit, but he throws himself into opponents twice his size and knows when to help his offensive line. I still need to check his route running.
Have you watched James Williams(Wazzu) tape yet?
I agree that he won't likely be asked to carry it twenty times a game. I love how patient he is as a runner. He has great vision and he runs hard. I think he has a tendency to run high and might have an issue with ball security.

He has great hands...great hands. He is really only ever asked to run flats, swings and screens so it remains to be seen what he can do if split out.
I noticed him run two pretty junky wheels come to think of it..

He has a nose for essential yards and he is so elusive in space with a sort of gliding speed. I can't remember too many guys that block better than Trayveon.

Tell me about James Williams. I haven't seen him

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I see them exactly opposite - Harris is more powerful but Jacobs has better long speed.
Sorry for asking so late. But based off of what? You have an argument for Harris' power, but I don't see the long speed with Jacobs. I'll agree with you that Jacob's explosiveness in the short area is more dangerous, but Harris is contasntly burning teams for long touchdowns and Jacobs, even on his longest runs, always has a defender trailing him in the short term. He does not posses nearly the breakaway speed that Harris has, and it's Jacobs' only real negative as a prospect. Harris has a second gear, Jacobs really doesn't.

I just don't see it.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I just started watching David Montgomery, and so far I think he might end up my #1 rb. He’s great behind the line with his patience and maneuverability to find the hole, and he’s just a great pure runner, really good cuts, hard to bring down physically, he just runs with a certain level of all around competence that looks great. He’s got a bit of leveon bell in his game where he shows great patience and vision, and an elusive yet downhill running style where he isn’t an electric juke artist but not a monstrous power back either, but he has a good blend of both and once he breaks through the line he can sidestep to make you miss but he never loses steam or breaks stride, just making him a really good pure runner.

I’ll be watching a lot more of him but as of now I’m on his hype train, and I’ll be watching a lot more josh Jacobs as well, studied him a bit last night and watched 2 games and I’m still not on his hype train, I just don’t see enough “wow” from Jacobs

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I just started watching David Montgomery, and so far I think he might end up my #1 rb. He’s great behind the line with his patience and maneuverability to find the hole, and he’s just a great pure runner, really good cuts, hard to bring down physically, he just runs with a certain level of all around competence that looks great. He’s got a bit of leveon bell in his game where he shows great patience and vision, and an elusive yet downhill running style where he isn’t an electric juke artist but not a monstrous power back either, but he has a good blend of both and once he breaks through the line he can sidestep to make you miss but he never loses steam or breaks stride, just making him a really good pure runner.

I’ll be watching a lot more of him but as of now I’m on his hype train, and I’ll be watching a lot more josh Jacobs as well, studied him a bit last night and watched 2 games and I’m still not on his hype train, I just don’t see enough “wow” from Jacobs
Montgomery really reminds me a lot of Kareem Hunt. Just a lot of balance.

He's good but he's my #3 behind the Bama guys.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

Yeah he’s able to keep his knees and elbows off the ground in incredible fashion. I would like him to use cutback lanes more, but it’s not a big problem I see from him but so far I’ve seen about one obvious missed cutback per game. That’s literally my only complain, he also looks like a real quality route runner so far.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Yeah he’s able to keep his knees and elbows off the ground in incredible fashion. I would like him to use cutback lanes more, but it’s not a big problem I see from him but so far I’ve seen about one obvious missed cutback per game. That’s literally my only complain, he also looks like a real quality route runner so far.
He does but the real question with Montgomery is how well does that game of his transition to the NFL? He's not really an amazing power back and his speed is just average. I think he's going to be a good player, but I'm not sure I can classify him as a first rounder. He beaks a lot of tackles and has good balance, but I'm not sure that's going to translate as well to the NFL where the defenses are far more disciplined, and these linebackers and dlinemen are every bit as quick as he is.

I like Montgomery, don't get me wrong, but the athleticism is a concern. It's not just breakaway speed. I question if his ability to break tackles will translate. If it does, he's going to be a pro bowler, but if not, he's going to be a rotational guy. The combine is going to be huge for him.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
He does but the real question with Montgomery is how well does that game of his transition to the NFL? He's not really an amazing power back and his speed is just average. I think he's going to be a good player, but I'm not sure I can classify him as a first rounder. He beaks a lot of tackles and has good balance, but I'm not sure that's going to translate as well to the NFL where the defenses are far more disciplined, and these linebackers and dlinemen are every bit as quick as he is.

I like Montgomery, don't get me wrong, but the athleticism is a concern. It's not just breakaway speed. I question if his ability to break tackles will translate. If it does, he's going to be a pro bowler, but if not, he's going to be a rotational guy. The combine is going to be huge for him.
The thing about Montgomery is that he looks solidly built but he looks like he could also be much bigger, and he isn’t a burner by any means but he’s extremely quick footed and agile when needed, when he’s picking his lane and he gives his jump cuts or plants the foot to cut upfield it all looks excellent, just really clean nfl caliber footwork and the type of footwork that looks like it could carry another 10-15lbs with no problems. Like he’s not gonna be sluggish and struggling to make the same cuts if he bulked up.

Just a technically sound and balanced and well rounded skill set that looks like it could not only translate but could be improved upon. Leveon bell put on weight over the years and got stronger and better without losing any of his cutting abilities, I just see a lot of things similar in their footwork and general running styles

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
The thing about Montgomery is that he looks solidly built but he looks like he could also be much bigger, and he isn’t a burner by any means but he’s extremely quick footed and agile when needed, when he’s picking his lane and he gives his jump cuts or plants the foot to cut upfield it all looks excellent, just really clean nfl caliber footwork and the type of footwork that looks like it could carry another 10-15lbs with no problems. Like he’s not gonna be sluggish and struggling to make the same cuts if he bulked up.

Just a technically sound and balanced and well rounded skill set that looks like it could not only translate but could be improved upon. Leveon bell put on weight over the years and got stronger and better without losing any of his cutting abilities, I just see a lot of things similar in their footwork and general running styles
I think you misunderstand me. I'm worried about his acceleration. I question his ability to win a short corner at the NFL level vs NFL edge defenders. Even with raw power if you can't do that, you can't be an NFL starter.

The combine is going to be important for him

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer

I'm looking at the tape of Alfred Morris, Kareem Hunt, and Jordan Howard, zone power backs. I can't compare Montgomery to any of them because Montgomery's acceleration is not nearly as good. Those three had good burst in a 5-10 yard span. Montgomery really doesn't. He takes awhile to get up to full speed. Granted, his vision in a stretch zone scheme would be good enough to compensate and have a good average, but in our scheme NFL players would eat him alive. NFL defensive players are way more fundamentally sound than the majority of the competition that Montgomery has gone against. As well as better athletes. The lack of acceleration thing terrifies the fuck out of me, and even when he gets up to top speed, it's not impressive enough to affect the modern NFL linebacker's closing speed. Balance or no balance, that's a problem, one that's too big to look past.

Montgomery is going to have value in the NFL as a receiver and a guy in a zone scheme, and since those are highly coveted in today's NFL he still could go in rounds 2-3. But I don't think he's a future workhorse or full-time starter. He's fun to watch on tape, but I think he's going to be really limited at the NFL level.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

Although I haven’t seen much of him yet, I’m a bit concerned with his decision making. He doesn’t take the yards that are in front of him and wants to make the big play all the time. I’m really talking about when he goes out on routes.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Although I haven’t seen much of him yet, I’m a bit concerned with his decision making. He doesn’t take the yards that are in front of him and wants to make the big play all the time. I’m really talking about when he goes out on routes.
And he doesn't have anywhere near the same athletic ability as Saquon did where Saquon could get over it.

Montgomery is talented but he's very flawed.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Montgomery and Singletary are definetly my top 2 backs in this class. Im not sure theres anyone else id really want more than them 2 at RB from this class...unless we take Love in the 4th.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor

I still dont see what you like from Harris. Hes just well rounded but i dont see anything hes great at. Always gets caught from behind on big plays although he does create a lot of big plays. I like Jacobs more as hes more dynamic in ways to get him involved....also less miles on his tires