• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2019 RB Thread

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I’m liking Myles gaskin, he’s got a frame that looks like it could support another 15 lbs putting him over 200, boy is electric and runs way harder than you would think anyone could at 193

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’m liking Myles gaskin, he’s got a frame that looks like it could support another 15 lbs putting him over 200, boy is electric and runs way harder than you would think anyone could at 193
And he'd be a much bigger threat to break one long than the RBs we currently have. He can basically replace our receiving backs right away, and take snaps away from Gus and Dixon.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
And he'd be a much bigger threat to break one long than the RBs we currently have. He can basically replace our receiving backs right away, and take snaps away from Gus and Dixon.
Myles gaskin looks a lot like ray rice to me, little spark plug

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
I had a third to fourth round grade on Love. Not a fan. With the torn ACL if he's there in the fourth or fifth you pounce. This might work better.
So let me get this straight, you’re not a fan of him.

Have a 4th round grade.

But now that he tore his acl, you’d pounce on him in the 4th?

I am confusion.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm gonna gush on Anderson a bit more, this video really highlights Anderson's amazing technique when it comes to ball security and tackle breaking.

Anderson is my second favorite back for us to pick up, behind Gaskin. Anderson just fits our offense so perfectly, and is a bellcow that can handle a large number of runs. There's a part of me that would love to see us pick up extra mid round picks and grab both Anderson and Gaskin. They'd be like a poor man's Ingram and Kamara combination. With Gus as the short yardage rb and rotational piece to keep Anderson fresh. It'd be a luxury that we probably can't afford, but those three with a good o-line would give us the best rushing offense in the AFC. Possibly the whole NFL.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I know that we've come to a consensus that Josh Jacobs is perfect for this scheme, and he is... I'm not too sure that Damien Harris isn't... Jacobs is more like Frank Gore(but Roman, yes) where his athleticism is underappreciated and he does everything well, but Damien Harris really reminds me a lot of Maurice Jones-Drew. Slippery, good in pass protection, very good receiver, excellent long speed against quality competition, good vision, hits the hole hard, and uses his pop to get the extra yards.

Jacobs has his advantages. He's a better technical running back, especially in terms of being a better route runner, and pass protector, and slightly better power. Jacobs s much better in the red zone and will beat up opponents as the game goes on.

But I think Harris is more DANGEROUS next to Lamar. That long speed of Harris' is going to force defenses to stack the box constantly. Harris doesn't have Jacob's power, but let's not pretend he goes down easy either. He'd punish and tire out the defense in a different way. Harris isn't as refined as Jacobs as a receiver, but he's still well above average in that regard.

I wouldn't be upset with either, and I am tempted to give both a first round grade. This is one of the rare scenarios, at least in my eyes where there isn't a wrong choice.

Also, I've come around on the idea @DeVito52 and @JoeyFlex5 had about Fournette to be honest. Fournette really is the ideal scheme fit for this team, and the thought of having a running back like Fournette, who will punish the defense as the game goes on as well as having likely the best long speed in the league, next to Lamar, who is explosive himself and has elite athleticism. Fournette isn't an elite receiver, but people really don't give him enough credit. If Fournette is offered, I'd do it. But it'd be dumb for the Jags to do so.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I know that we've come to a consensus that Josh Jacobs is perfect for this scheme, and he is... I'm not too sure that Damien Harris isn't... Jacobs is more like Frank Gore(but Roman, yes) where his athleticism is underappreciated and he does everything well, but Damien Harris really reminds me a lot of Maurice Jones-Drew. Slippery, good in pass protection, very good receiver, excellent long speed against quality competition, good vision, hits the hole hard, and uses his pop to get the extra yards.

Jacobs has his advantages. He's a better technical running back, especially in terms of being a better route runner, and pass protector, and slightly better power. Jacobs s much better in the red zone and will beat up opponents as the game goes on.

But I think Harris is more DANGEROUS next to Lamar. That long speed of Harris' is going to force defenses to stack the box constantly. Harris doesn't have Jacob's power, but let's not pretend he goes down easy either. He'd punish and tire out the defense in a different way. Harris isn't as refined as Jacobs as a receiver, but he's still well above average in that regard.

I wouldn't be upset with either, and I am tempted to give both a first round grade. This is one of the rare scenarios, at least in my eyes where there isn't a wrong choice.

Also, I've come around on the idea @DeVito52 and @JoeyFlex5 had about Fournette to be honest. Fournette really is the ideal scheme fit for this team, and the thought of having a running back like Fournette, who will punish the defense as the game goes on as well as having likely the best long speed in the league, next to Lamar, who is explosive himself and has elite athleticism. Fournette isn't an elite receiver, but people really don't give him enough credit. If Fournette is offered, I'd do it. But it'd be dumb for the Jags to do so.
I see them exactly opposite - Harris is more powerful but Jacobs has better long speed.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

I think Jacobs is a more well rounded back but harris is just the better fit, Jacobs is a bruiser with surprising cuts and his one cut ability is way better, if we’re running a scheme that features a lot of stretch then I think Jacobs is ideal, but I don’t think that’s us. I like harris’ grab and go, low pass downhill style, and he seems to have added a gear this year and his breakaway speed is very noticeable, and Jacobs might be faster but harris seems to have the better ability to hit the gas as soon as there’s an opening and turn a slight crease to a big gain, maybe it’s an awareness or instinct thing.

Another thing to consider is that in an RPO, a shorter back is ideal(frank gore, Alfred Morris 2012 for example) because it makes everything harder for the defense to pick up on when the defense can’t see the option, that’s also part of why I like Myles gaskin so much for us. Low pads, decisive downhill runners, breakaway speed, and the little spark plug types are what I’m really looking for.

Damien harris is my top rb choice and I wouldn’t blink at him at 22, josh Jacobs I see as more of a second rounder.

And yes, fournette for joe straight up, we’re a contender as soon as the deal is done.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Damien harris is my top rb choice and I wouldn’t blink at him at 22, josh Jacobs I see as more of a second rounder.

And yes, fournette for joe straight up, we’re a contender as soon as the deal is done.
Even if there are a guard/C or a pass rusher available? We need to fix our interior offensive line first. Harris or Jacobs can't much with what we have atm. This rb class has also great talent in middle rounds, there is no need to draft one in the first. Although it would be great to have a premier talent on offense.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Even if there are a guard/C or a pass rusher available? We need to fix our interior offensive line first. Harris or Jacobs can't much with what we have atm. This rb class has also great talent in middle rounds, there is no need to draft one in the first. Although it would be great to have a premier talent on offense.
Didn’t say harris was my top choice in round 1, just my top rb, and while I’d prefer addressing OL I’m not sure there’s a talent at 22 worth taking there

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Is it crazy that I'm reminded of Saquon Barkley (style wise, obviously) when I watch Elijah Holyfield?

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Trayveon Williams; I can't remember seeing a better blocking RB...He's ready on all three downs now. I might inundate the site with gif if thats OK.
Tray chip.gif

Its unfair to call this a chip block. The man he takes on has him by 120 lbs. This is not an isolated incident on film. generates great leverage along with terrific power.
tray blitz 1.gif

awesome awareness in blitz pick up. it isn't simply awareness mind you. He has great technique and stymies the blitzes routinely.

Tray downffield.gif

It isn't difficult to imagine this play being run in our offense. Watch how quickly he gets on this linebacker and eliminates him as a possible tackler.

@Edgar You won't hear complaints about gifs from me. I've already done worse myself lol
I would end up selecting only a dozen of them, at times, because I can't upload them all.

Well one can't say Williams doesn't have the vision to see the moving targets or the willingness to pick them up. Definitely a thing that will play a big role when it comes down to draft a RB because we need such players more than anyone else

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
@Italian Raven
I have to say that I always enjoy not only the gif you bring to light but your breakdown and analysis that accompanies.
been meaning to say that for awhile.

I've been going a little over the top watching Williams so I'm sure there are more to come.:nod:

@Italian Raven
I have to say that I always enjoy not only the gif you bring to light but your breakdown and analysis that accompanies.
been meaning to say that for awhile.

I've been going a little over the top watching Williams so I'm sure there are more to come.:nod:

Appreciate it a lot man ;)
Too bad I don't have the knowledge to break things down like some other guys here, neither I can articulate myself like Truth lol
I wrote a shit ton of plays down about Winovich and Polite and hope I can bring some in here one these next week ends.

What about Barnes? I had seen some very good blocking plays from him as well. I just couldn't find enough tapes at that time.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Appreciate it a lot man ;)
Too bad I don't have the knowledge to break things down like some other guys here, neither I can articulate myself like Truth lol
I wrote a shit ton of plays down about Winovich and Polite and hope I can bring some in here one these next week ends.

What about Barnes? I had seen some very good blocking plays from him as well. I just couldn't find enough tapes at that time.
I haven't watched anything on Barnes yet.