• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2019 DL Thread

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
No way he will be.
While I highly doubt it it’s not out of the realm of possibility. Sitting out his final year and reports of character concerns have made his stock tumble big time evidently. 22 is a stretch but they may be seeing if the character concerns are overblown and preparing themselves for a potential trade up. If he’s there in the late teens and a team wants, for example, a jimmy smith, I’d do it

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Simmons was already in freefall because of that video of him beating the brakes off a woman. He’s a top 10 talent no question but was potentially falling to day 2. Hell almost certainly go in round 3 now
The only reason he drops to the 3rd would be the ACL tear. Oh sure the issues that happened in his senior year of hs wasn't good, but he has owned it and has been good in the community and on the field ever since. I'd be fine with him in the 2nd round, tbh. He's a pure top 10-15 talent.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
The only reason he drops to the 3rd would be the ACL tear. Oh sure the issues that happened in his senior year of hs wasn't good, but he has owned it and has been good in the community and on the field ever since. I'd be fine with him in the 2nd round, tbh. He's a pure top 10-15 talent.
Oh I agree fully, but in the current nfl climate, hitting a woman is hitting a woman and it doesn’t matter who or when why or why.

And yes, the acl will knock him down a whole round further

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Oh I agree fully, but in the current nfl climate, hitting a woman is hitting a woman and it doesn’t matter who or when why or why.

And yes, the acl will knock him down a whole round further
And Tyreek Hill probably fucked over other guys that were apparently straightened out. He was kinda the poster child for players that had that one major screw/crime but did all the right things afterward. Then we find out he's still doing that kind of shit. Now it's even harder for a team to write off something as just one incident.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor

Sat there on watched the video on this and its a big fat no from me. 3 yrs of doing nothing wrong is not enough.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
And Tyreek Hill probably fucked over other guys that were apparently straightened out. He was kinda the poster child for players that had that one major screw/crime but did all the right things afterward. Then we find out he's still doing that kind of shit. Now it's even harder for a team to write off something as just one incident.
Agreed. A heat of the moment snap decision is one thing, but a continued beatdown/harassment is really hard to look past

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Sat there on watched the video on this and its a big fat no from me. 3 yrs of doing nothing wrong is not enough.
Oh I'm not saying what he did wasn't wrong, because it was. However, sometimes you have to look at how the person has acted in any other situation. Were there any other character red flags. All I'm saying is dive deeper and get as much information as you possibly can.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Oh I'm not saying what he did wasn't wrong, because it was. However, sometimes you have to look at how the person has acted in any other situation. Were there any other character red flags. All I'm saying is dive deeper and get as much information as you possibly can.

Maybe so for other teams - but our organisation has a stance that we don’t tolerate or accept or even give second chances to people who have DV or other similar type records/backgrounds so Simmons won’t be coming here unless the organisation has had a major philosophical change in the last few months on the issue

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Maybe so for other teams - but our organisation has a stance that we don’t tolerate or accept or even give second chances to people who have DV or other similar type records/backgrounds so Simmons won’t be coming here unless the organisation has had a major philosophical change in the last few months on the issue
I never mentioned that he would come to the Ravens, although I certainly wouldn't mind taking a chance on him, but I'd put money on it that he will be drafted in the 2nd round.

Since this is a DL thread ... I'm going to say I have no interest in seeing us draft DL that doesn't involve a guy that can bring pressure. We don't need another run stuffer. Since this thread would also include DE - to me that's always a ? for our 3-4. Is he a DE in a 3-4 or is he listed as DE who can be OLB in 3-4 (or 1 gap vs 2 gap as @JoeyFlex5 views it)? Then it becomes a question of both skill and fit.

Bottom line, we need WR, OL and (pass rush) and the pass rush need can be at any position we can get it.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Since this is a DL thread ... I'm going to say I have no interest in seeing us draft DL that doesn't involve a guy that can bring pressure. We don't need another run stuffer. Since this thread would also include DE - to me that's always a ? for our 3-4. Is he a DE in a 3-4 or is he listed as DE who can be OLB in 3-4 (or 1 gap vs 2 gap as @JoeyFlex5 views it)? Then it becomes a question of both skill and fit.

Bottom line, we need WR, OL and (pass rush) and the pass rush need can be at any position we can get it.

Well the way I look at it a dlineman is a guy that has his hand in the dirt. Therefore Suggs would be a LB while Urban was a DE. To go further a DE can line as a 3 or 5 tech while a DT/NT would be a 1 tech that could line out as a 3.

I agree with the 3 needs. If we don't draft 1 of these positions in the 1st I'm gonna be pissed.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Per schefter: Penn St. DE Shareef Miller starts his (private) visits Monday with the Baltimore Ravens.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
https://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/2019/02/hidden-gems-2/

A look at some of the hidden gems in the front 7 in this draft. All three defensive linemen in this sound like Ravens late round/UDFA type of pickups. Grabbing guys like that late could let us really retool our line and move on from any of the more expensive options (aside from Pierce, he needs to get resigned).

The first guy, Ollie actually sounds like a Pierce clone. Probably not as explosive but similar. And Martin would be a perfect 3-4 DE for Wink's style of defense. Smart, instinctive, and athletic.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
https://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/2019/02/hidden-gems-2/

A look at some of the hidden gems in the front 7 in this draft. All three defensive linemen in this sound like Ravens late round/UDFA type of pickups. Grabbing guys like that late could let us really retool our line and move on from any of the more expensive options (aside from Pierce, he needs to get resigned).

The first guy, Ollie actually sounds like a Pierce clone. Probably not as explosive but similar. And Martin would be a perfect 3-4 DE for Wink's style of defense. Smart, instinctive, and athletic.
Ronald Ollie is the NT from the 1st season of Last Chance U.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Ronald Ollie is the NT from the 1st season of Last Chance U.
Yeah, the article mentions that. Also it's worth noting that at 300-ish pounds he ran a sub 4.9 forty and had a 114 broad jump at his pro-day.