• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2019 DL Thread

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I didn't see the actual numbers for his combine but apparently Trysten Hill killed it. So I went to see the tape at least. Y'all please do the same. It's first round honestly.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
One guy that could potentially be a solid pick at 22, or one of the top trade down targets is Dre'mont Jones. Unbelievable burst off the line, great at hand fighting, good counters, and can live in the backfield. He gets overlooked a bit due to his size and being inconsistent at times due to technique. I think Jones would give us more pressures on the qb than any edge rusher at 22, barring a slide. Maybe more than Sweat.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
A little look at Dre'Mont Jones compared to other linemen in the Big 10:
Dy5HlFaXcAQCNL4.jpg

DxxPEEPWwAAD9aA.jpg:large

He was credited with 52 pressures in a single season. He lives in the backfield. We need a lineman like that so badly.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Dy5HlFaXcAQCNL4.jpg

He was credited with 52 pressures in a single season. He lives in the backfield. We need a lineman like that so badly.
He's good and there's no doubt about it, I'd be happy if we took him in the first since we are in desperate need of a pass rusher, but how much of that credit comes from Nick Bosa commanding a double team on practically every snap?

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Dy5HlFaXcAQCNL4.jpg

I wouldn’t hate dremont at 22. He’s one of those guys I could see us taking and surprising everyone, come to find out the ravens had him as a top 10 talent and everyone else available was a day 2 eval

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
He's good and there's no doubt about it, I'd be happy if we took him in the first since we are in desperate need of a pass rusher, but how much of that credit comes from Nick Bosa commanding a double team on practically every snap?
It probably helped. Though in our scheme I think he'll get plenty of chances one on one with guards. Center won't double team him with Pierce in the middle, and a tackle will generally have to deal with the 3-4 olb, even if they aren't some dominate force. Best case scenario, Pierce gets double teamed by center and guard, and Jones gets to try to split the guard and tackle to get into the backfield.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Dre'mont Jones best fit is as a 3 Tech in a 4-3 defense and yes, we run a hybrid defense, but I'd rather not draft him because he isn't a great fit and there will be better players available at 22

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Dre'mont Jones best fit is as a 3 Tech in a 4-3 defense and yes, we run a hybrid defense, but I'd rather not draft him because he isn't a great fit and there will be better players available at 22
Then tell me.. Who do we build our front seven around? It's a clean slate now. Only reason we converted to a hybrid is because of Ray. Kept it because CJ did have his limitations.

That's not a good rationale for not taking a prospect. With this logic we wouldn't have drafted Ngata. We have a chance for a clean slate. I'd use it tbh, and Jones would be a good piece to build a front seven around.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Then tell me.. Who do we build our front seven around? It's a clean slate now. Only reason we converted to a hybrid is because of Ray. Kept it because CJ did have his limitations.

That's not a good rationale for not taking a prospect. With this logic we wouldn't have drafted Ngata. We have a chance for a clean slate. I'd use it tbh, and Jones would be a good piece to build a front seven around.
I disagree we switched it for Ray and kept it for CJ. Very few current 3-4 teams, if any, run a pure 3-4 defense. This was just getting current with the times. Even the idiotic skins run a hybrid scheme and have doing so since 2010. They run about 65% of their snaps as a 4-3 scheme.

I'm not saying we shouldn't be a pure 4-3 team, probably 4-3 over, but I'm just disagreeing with your point on why they changed the hybrid scheme.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I disagree we switched it for Ray and kept it for CJ. Very few current 3-4 teams, if any, run a pure 3-4 defense. This was just getting current with the times. Even the idiotic skins run a hybrid scheme and have doing so since 2010. They run about 65% of their snaps as a 4-3 scheme.

I'm not saying we shouldn't be a pure 4-3 team, probably 4-3 over, but I'm just disagreeing with your point on why they changed the hybrid scheme.

I mean to put it in context - most nfl teams at this point are basically running a 2-4/4-2 rather than a 4-3/3-4 at which point those defensive schemes are functionally almost identical

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I mean to put it in context - most nfl teams at this point are basically running a 2-4/4-2 rather than a 4-3/3-4 at which point those defensive schemes are functionally almost identical

@RavensMania - you're rating on the post made me want to add even more detail lol...

at this point, the only decision a team really makes on the DL is whether they 1-gap or 2-gap tbh and maybe whether their edges can drop into coverage... that's the only real modern day difference between a 3-4 and a 4-3 because everyone has a nickel

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
It’s not about 34 or 43 anymore, it’s about 1 gap or 2 gap and the style of play you prioritize on money downs. The ravens seem to prefer 2 gappers and standup blitzers, but with wink it may be more about fielding the best players and then creating chaos with it, dre’mont is clearly a one gapper and I agree with Lost that we need to scrap what we knew and keep up this culture we have with wink where we make players successful by designing the scheme around them rather than vice versa.

We’ve grown so used to Dean pees that we are still stuck on whether a player fits the ravens classic 3-4 scheme, and worry more about whether or not this player can help us close out a game on defense by making a big play, I think dremont jones can do that.

Has anyone seen Armon Watts from Arkansas. The kid is pretty impressive. We’ve had a habit of drafting late round d lineman prospects and I think he may be the next hidden gem

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Houston pro day: Ed Oliver had a 20 ss of ~4.19 and a 40 of 4.71 at 281lbs. Joe Cullen was in attendance and met privately with Oliver in Houston
Just to put Ed Oliver’s 4.19 short-shuttle time into perspective, here’s some other notable results:
4.18 – Antonio Brown
4.19 – DeSean Jackson
4.24 – Saquon Barkley
4.24 – Le’Veon Bell
4.25 – Julio Jones
4.39 – Aaron Donald