• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2019 EDGE Thread

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
There´s so much to like about Winovich tapes.. I´ll have a lot of work to do this next offseason
I definitely see him as a late 1st-2nd rounder. I´d definitely take him ahead of Polite as he has much more experience playing early downs and can be more physical. He´s not a pure rush edge setter who will win with his punch and have much to play 2 gap , however he´s fast enough and has very low pads to consistent disrupt the pocket.
In case Okwara doesn´t declare, he´s 100% my horse.
Well, I’ll be around to make your pick in the forum mock if you go to sleep.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Did have a chance to catch some of Jaylen Ferguson in his bowl game. Yep he badass. Broke Sugg's total sack record in that game. Great replacement for T Sizz. Would have to take him in 1st!!

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Did have a chance to catch some of Jaylen Ferguson in his bowl game. Yep he badass. Broke Sugg's total sack record in that game. Great replacement for T Sizz. Would have to take him in 1st!!
Yeah we would because he won’t be around in the 3rd

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Shit man, with all the hype that's going to be created now and considering where we're picking, I doubt we get a shot even with our first.
You are probably right about that. A lot can change from now until then. Someone should just spike his water at the combine and we should be good

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Kenny Willekes vs Ohio State:

Probably the best and most well coached o-line he faced all year. Willekes put some decent pressure on Haskins and held his own at the point of attack on run plays.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
There´s so much to like about Winovich tapes.. I´ll have a lot of work to do this next offseason
I definitely see him as a late 1st-2nd rounder. I´d definitely take him ahead of Polite as he has much more experience playing early downs and can be more physical. He´s not a pure rush edge setter who will win with his punch and have much to play 2 gap , however he´s fast enough and has very low pads to consistent disrupt the pocket.
In case Okwara doesn´t declare, he´s 100% my horse.
I like winovich a lot too, looks like a potential Suggs replacement where he’s a legit 3 down starter and a natural fit at OLB, but he will need to learn the finer points for sure. Great speed considering his size and power, great hands, great pad level and gap integrity, he covers a lot of ground quick to eat up screens and beats blocks well laterally to defend sweeps, good gap discipline vs the stretch.

I’d like to see him bend better but a lot of times you either have it or you don’t. He has a lot of work to do in coverage if he’s gonna play 34olb, he does almost no coverage work and the RARE times he does it looks pretty bad, baby steps like teaching him to bump and disrupt the TE before stepping into a throwing lane would be big for making him useful on the occasional zone drop.

One thing I disagree with though, him over polite. Polite is my top edge rusher after bosa and everyone else is a tier below imo. I’d put winovich somewhere between Ferrell(my 3rd) and burns

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Kenny Willekes vs Ohio State:

Probably the best and most well coached o-line he faced all year. Willekes put some decent pressure on Haskins and held his own at the point of attack on run plays.

First time watching, dude looks really good, got a knack for just winning 1on1 matchups with the tackle which is something the ravens sorely lack, gets good push and good strong disengages, with a nose for finishing. Gets sloppy feet on the shoulder dip though it seems.

Hell of a run defender, he was absolute money in the run game, his pass rush has a ceiling though, burst seems limited and he’s already pretty refined as a rusher.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
First time watching, dude looks really good, got a knack for just winning 1on1 matchups with the tackle which is something the ravens sorely lack, gets good push and good strong disengages, with a nose for finishing. Gets sloppy feet on the shoulder dip though it seems.

Hell of a run defender, he was absolute money in the run game, his pass rush has a ceiling though, burst seems limited and he’s already pretty refined as a rusher.
Yeah. While he likely won't be the main stud of a front seven, he can be a pretty solid rotational piece, and a good replacement to ZDS. He'd be a good pick if he's still around at the end of the 3rd.

I like winovich a lot too, looks like a potential Suggs replacement where he’s a legit 3 down starter and a natural fit at OLB, but he will need to learn the finer points for sure. Great speed considering his size and power, great hands, great pad level and gap integrity, he covers a lot of ground quick to eat up screens and beats blocks well laterally to defend sweeps, good gap discipline vs the stretch.

I’d like to see him bend better but a lot of times you either have it or you don’t. He has a lot of work to do in coverage if he’s gonna play 34olb, he does almost no coverage work and the RARE times he does it looks pretty bad, baby steps like teaching him to bump and disrupt the TE before stepping into a throwing lane would be big for making him useful on the occasional zone drop.

One thing I disagree with though, him over polite. Polite is my top edge rusher after bosa and everyone else is a tier below imo. I’d put winovich somewhere between Ferrell(my 3rd) and burns

I'll find the time someday to break down those things I don't like about Polite.
I actually can't envision him as a first rounder at all as he's a total liability in the run game. Pretty much like Burns, but playing with lower center of gravity and occasional explosive punch.
He's closer to a Timmy Williams kind of ED than an every down one I'd bet a 1st rounder on.
Winovich has a ton of TJ Watt in his game and is absolutely relentless. Even when he's not making a play himself he might be shooting a gap forcing the runner/QB outside for a teammate to beiable to finish.

I currently have
Bosa
Z.Allen (as of now as 3/5t.. So only 2 gapper)
Okwara (should go back to school as he'd be most likely lose some value in such a great class)
Sweat (but I'll have to re watch his tapes because it's been months I haven't seen any)
Winovich
J.Allen
--RD2--
Ferrell
Polite
--RD3--
Burns
Buggs

I have no idea about Ferguson and the others so I just can't locate them anywhere in the short list yet.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I'll find the time someday to break down those things I don't like about Polite.
I actually can't envision him as a first rounder at all as he's a total liability in the run game. Pretty much like Burns, but playing with lower center of gravity and occasional explosive punch.
He's closer to a Timmy Williams kind of ED than an every down one I'd bet a 1st rounder on.
Winovich has a ton of TJ Watt in his game and is absolutely relentless. Even when he's not making a play himself he might be shooting a gap forcing the runner/QB outside for a teammate to beiable to finish.

I currently have
Bosa
Z.Allen (as of now as 3/5t.. So only 2 gapper)
Okwara (should go back to school as he'd be most likely lose some value in such a great class)
Sweat (but I'll have to re watch his tapes because it's been months I haven't seen any)
Winovich
J.Allen
--RD2--
Ferrell
Polite
--RD3--
Burns
Buggs

I have no idea about Ferguson and the others so I just can't locate them anywhere in the short list yet.
Burns isn’t just a liability in the run game, he’s also a low effort and low iq rusher with extremely overrated burst off the line, and zero finishing ability. Polite may be a liability in the run game but he low key might be the most dangerous rusher in the class which is what I’m looking for

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Burns isn’t just a liability in the run game, he’s also a low effort and low iq rusher with extremely overrated burst off the line, and zero finishing ability. Polite may be a liability in the run game but he low key might be the most dangerous rusher in the class which is what I’m looking for
You don't play regularly in a Harbaugh defense if you can't play the run and/or struggle on S.T. Polite isn't a fit for our current system.

I do agree that he might become a very good pass rusher. I simply doubt the value in the first. I'd rather throw 6-8 mil at Dante Fowler than make a 4 years committment for a guy I probably can't llay every down and who doesn't give me the versatility to blitz from the inside on occasion.
If Fowler doesn't produce I can survive with a few mil in death cap.. If my high pick can't see the field it's a bigger problem.
But we'll have many many chances to articulate it in these next few months and as always, one can change his mind.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
You don't play regularly in a Harbaugh defense if you can't play the run and/or struggle on S.T. Polite isn't a fit for our current system.
Maybe our system is dumb as fuck then and our coach should stop making ST play a bottom line for draft picks that should be providing impact plays in the rotation

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I do agree that he might become a very good pass rusher. I simply doubt the value in the first. I'd rather throw 6-8 mil at Dante Fowler than make a 4 years committment for a guy I probably can't llay every down and who doesn't give me the versatility to blitz from the inside on occasion.
If Fowler doesn't produce I can survive with a few mil in death cap.. If my high pick can't see the field it's a bigger problem.
But we'll have many many chances to articulate it in these next few months and as always, one can change his mind.
Fowler can’t even stay out of trouble and has not been very good at all, and I was on board for trading for him this offseason but to me he’s proven to be not worth it.

And players can always learn to be better run defenders, it’s hands and eyes and discipline, and run defenders can be found in any round of any draft, back end of the first if you’re taking a pass rusher you aren’t too damn worried about him stopping the run if he can get the QB.

We have worried too much about things like pass rushers fitting the system as a true olb, and special team play, and we really need to cut that shit out because we miss on talents and waste talented players because of it