• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2019 EDGE Thread

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I never liked jaylon Ferguson and I KNEW this was gonna happen, he’s all physicality as a rusher and it’s seriously mind boggling as to how he produced so much with him lacking so badly, like I can’t even fathom how he put up his numbers but I knew he was slow stiff and top heavy with poor balance and lead feet.

Lol @ the sheer stupidity in that twitter feed, half the people posting think that video puts him in a positive light and are declaring him a first rounder, a Steelers fan said “yeah but he was productive and has burst and motor, id take him at 20” lololol. A fucking edge rusher who would literally have bend comparable to Brandon Williams if he lined up on the edge.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I never liked jaylon Ferguson and I KNEW this was gonna happen, he’s all physicality as a rusher and it’s seriously mind boggling as to how he produced so much with him lacking so badly, like I can’t even fathom how he put up his numbers but I knew he was slow stiff and top heavy with poor balance and lead feet.

Lol @ the sheer stupidity in that twitter feed, half the people posting think that video puts him in a positive light and are declaring him a first rounder, a Steelers fan said “yeah but he was productive and has burst and motor, id take him at 20” lololol. A fucking edge rusher who would literally have bend comparable to Brandon Williams if he lined up on the edge.
I'm going on record here, I still like him. Very fast off the snap and very powerful. Good hand usage, knows how to leverage blockers and bounce off them into the hole. Finishes plays.
I'm not sure he is the fit for our D though, seems like classic 43 rushing end. He'll be better in pros than any pass rusher we picked since... Suggs and by some margin.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I'm going on record here, I still like him. Very fast off the snap and very powerful. Good hand usage, knows how to leverage blockers and bounce off them into the hole. Finishes plays.
I'm not sure he is the fit for our D though, seems like classic 43 rushing end. He'll be better in pros than any pass rusher we picked since... Suggs and by some margin.
I disagree and do not like him lol, I don’t think he is a quality nfl edge rusher, he is not gonna be able to bend the edge enough. Maybe get some edge collapsing bulrush but I just don’t see him being anything more than a bust

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I disagree and do not like him lol, I don’t think he is a quality nfl edge rusher, he is not gonna be able to bend the edge enough. Maybe get some edge collapsing bulrush but I just don’t see him being anything more than a bust
We'll see I guess.
If I'm wrong, he'll not be the first one I misjudged.

52520Andrew

Pro Bowler
Looks like he could trim down from that 271 combine weight as well which could pick up some speed/explosiveness. He has some nice hand usage, can get off blocks.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Looks like he could trim down from that 271 combine weight as well which could pick up some speed/explosiveness. He has some nice hand usage, can get off blocks.
Uh. I wasn't aware he did combine drills at that weight. Watching film, it doesn't seem to be his playing weight.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Justin Hollins is the Oregon edge/OLB prospect the ravens should be checking out. I don't like Jelks at all. Hollins is a bit of a project as pure rush guy but he's a really good football player in just about every other way right now. He could be really frightening off the edge if he puts on some weight/muscle and learn to use it.
He's a very good run defender....extremely smart...looks comfortable dropping and in space. Great effort, great length....cannot flatten it seems but he can get upfield in a hurry.

Justin Hollins is the Oregon edge/OLB prospect the ravens should be checking out. I don't like Jelks at all. Hollins is a bit of a project as pure rush guy but he's a really good football player in just about every other way right now. He could be really frightening off the edge if he puts on some weight/muscle and learn to use it.
He's a very good run defender....extremely smart...looks comfortable dropping and in space. Great effort, great length....cannot flatten it seems but he can get upfield in a hurry.

Agreed. I love the guys game besides his inability to bend consistently. But even if he never fully learns to rush the passer at a high level he seems to understand the run game and coverage pretty well. I love the potential he has as he grows into his frame and gets some pro coaching. If he's there in the third at 102 I would pull the trigger. I think he goes higher tho

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Talked about him a little does my mock but the more I look into Cominsky the more I love the idea of him coming to the Ravens. Firstly, something I didn't find out at the time, besides being 3rd among his group in the 40 and 3 cone but he was also 3rd in the broad jump. At 285 he posted a 116 inch jump, the same as Chase Winovich, a guy thirty pounds lighter than him. Even compared to the true edge rushers, he would have been 8th in the 3 cone drill. He was .02 seconds behind Brian Burns and .03 behind Sweat. He would have also been 8th in the 20 yard shuttle compared to true edge rushers. Even on the tape itself he shows the ability to get sideline to sideline pretty damn quickly to chase down people.

He not only dominated his level of play physically but he was also an academic all american, showing that he has the brain to go along with that physical ability. In interviews, he shows the desire to constantly get better and work on technique. He was a walk on at 215, put in a brand new position, and worked his way up to being a division 2 all American. The Ravens' D used to be built on guys like that; guys never being satisfied and wanting to do more.

And yeah, he's not a perfect fit for a traditional 3-4. Honestly though, neither was Suggs. Suggs had his hand in the dirt pretty often and wasn't some cover ace. He set the edge, rushed the passer, blew up screen plays, and made sure to be in the way of passing windows. Cominsky is fully capable of that and then some.

From the executive director of the Senior Bowl:
After a few years at Charleston, Cominsky was once again bigger and faster than most of his peers, which is why this week’s Senior Bowl stands as a big test for a prospect that the game’s executive director, Jim Nagy, said he was turned onto by scouting associates across the league.

“When I started getting those calls it was more, ‘Listen, Jim, this isn’t a late-round guy. This is a guy that can be like a second- or third-round pick,’” Nagy said. “So then I sent one of our scouting assistants up (to watch him) and he came back and he was like we got to get this guy, he’s awesome.”
https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...or-bowl-john-cominsky-pass-rusher/2669294002/

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Talked about him a little does my mock but the more I look into Cominsky the more I love the idea of him coming to the Ravens. Firstly, something I didn't find out at the time, besides being 3rd among his group in the 40 and 3 cone but he was also 3rd in the broad jump. At 285 he posted a 116 inch jump, the same as Chase Winovich, a guy thirty pounds lighter than him. Even compared to the true edge rushers, he would have been 8th in the 3 cone drill. He was .02 seconds behind Brian Burns and .03 behind Sweat. He would have also been 8th in the 20 yard shuttle compared to true edge rushers. Even on the tape itself he shows the ability to get sideline to sideline pretty damn quickly to chase down people.

He not only dominated his level of play physically but he was also an academic all american, showing that he has the brain to go along with that physical ability. In interviews, he shows the desire to constantly get better and work on technique. He was a walk on at 215, put in a brand new position, and worked his way up to being a division 2 all American. The Ravens' D used to be built on guys like that; guys never being satisfied and wanting to do more.

And yeah, he's not a perfect fit for a traditional 3-4. Honestly though, neither was Suggs. Suggs had his hand in the dirt pretty often and wasn't some cover ace. He set the edge, rushed the passer, blew up screen plays, and made sure to be in the way of passing windows. Cominsky is fully capable of that and then some.

From the executive director of the Senior Bowl:

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...or-bowl-john-cominsky-pass-rusher/2669294002/

His back gets way too vertical way too often in these clips, lots of standing straight up on the engage, on one of them he even leaned backwards and somehow wasn’t tipped right over and actually disengaged and flushed the qb. Was he at the senior bowl? And if so how did he do there? Because every single snap on this vid he ended up completely upright within arms reach of blockers, and in the nfl he would’ve been tipped right over every time.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
His back gets way too vertical way too often in these clips, lots of standing straight up on the engage, on one of them he even leaned backwards and somehow wasn’t tipped right over and actually disengaged and flushed the qb. Was he at the senior bowl? And if so how did he do there? Because every single snap on this vid he ended up completely upright within arms reach of blockers, and in the nfl he would’ve been tipped right over every time.
Here's all of his senior bowl plays:

Yeah, his technique does need improvement, but that can be taught.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Here's all of his senior bowl plays:

Yeah, his technique does need improvement, but that can be taught.

I’ve never really thought Of pad level and lean as something teachable, in his case it does look self inflicted so maybe it CAN be taught in this case. That’s just a bit of a killer trait for me personally, I like my DL and edge playing with leverage and flexibility, it’s like my 2 biggest traits.

Like I said though, his upright play really does look self inflicted and coachable, he’s not struggling to lean and doesn’t look super stiff, looks like he just doesn’t know how to engage and disengage at a high level.

As an example for comparisons sake, Zach Allen looks like a very similar player, big powerful edge defender with a high motor and surprisingly quick, but the big difference that I’m seeing is that Allen is extremely flexible in his bend, more than you usually see from guys his size, that one trait turns him from a 3rd round talent to a first in my book.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’ve never really thought Of pad level and lean as something teachable, in his case it does look self inflicted so maybe it CAN be taught in this case. That’s just a bit of a killer trait for me personally, I like my DL and edge playing with leverage and flexibility, it’s like my 2 biggest traits.

Like I said though, his upright play really does look self inflicted and coachable, he’s not struggling to lean and doesn’t look super stiff, looks like he just doesn’t know how to engage and disengage at a high level.

As an example for comparisons sake, Zach Allen looks like a very similar player, big powerful edge defender with a high motor and surprisingly quick, but the big difference that I’m seeing is that Allen is extremely flexible in his bend, more than you usually see from guys his size, that one trait turns him from a 3rd round talent to a first in my book.
He has only played DL/edge since starting college, and at a small school (even by division II standards). So yeah, I think he literally hasn't been taught how to properly engage/disengage from offensive linemen. He got by on athletic ability. Though the few times he got his hand out to control the offensive linemen at the senior bowl he was able to push them back pretty well. I think he'll be good after some months with NFL level coaching. Maybe a full year before he does it consistently, but he'll have some splash plays in his rookie year. If he just keeps his pads low and keeps linemen off of him consistently he will likely be a better power rusher than Judon. Or at least a much better than ZDS at getting pressure and stopping the run. With his raw ability and the fact that the Ravens coach up our front 7 pretty well, I think he's worth it in the late 3rd or our 4th round pick from the Broncos if he's still there.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
He has only played DL/edge since starting college, and at a small school (even by division II standards). So yeah, I think he literally hasn't been taught how to properly engage/disengage from offensive linemen. He got by on athletic ability. Though the few times he got his hand out to control the offensive linemen at the senior bowl he was able to push them back pretty well. I think he'll be good after some months with NFL level coaching. Maybe a full year before he does it consistently, but he'll have some splash plays in his rookie year. If he just keeps his pads low and keeps linemen off of him consistently he will likely be a better power rusher than Judon. Or at least a much better than ZDS at getting pressure and stopping the run. With his raw ability and the fact that the Ravens coach up our front 7 pretty well, I think he's worth it in the late 3rd or our 4th round pick from the Broncos if he's still there.
Based on athletic ability and upside a fourth doesn’t seem too crazy, but that would depend on who else is available and I imagine he wouldn’t be my first choice

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
I love watching LJ Collier tape. I know there is probably a statistic that illustrates how a lousy combine/3 cone and what have you, translates to a bust but this guy is one of my favorite prospects in the draft. I'll bank on this guys tape and how he actually plays.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Is there any conceivable possibility that Collier is there for our third round selection? Obsessed with this player lately....some guys you watch and they absolutely feel a fit.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Is there any conceivable possibility that Collier is there for our third round selection? Obsessed with this player lately....some guys you watch and they absolutely feel a fit.
just got taken in the 4th in the FM. That's as real as it gets ^_^

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Just watched Justin Hollins for the first time, wow is this dude being slept on. He teleports outta his first step, goddamn he’s so explosive, and he’s agile and he’s twitchy and tricky, he’s got a good bit of bend as well, and very long.

He’s a lot more effective with his feet than his hands, but every now and then he’ll surprise with the hands and pull off a nice little precision punch to the chest with some shock to it. But his feet and explosion is where he wins, he flies off consistently, he stutters, has an extra gear, has an inside counter, has a bend, he finishes well, he adapts well to a lost rush by backing off and getting into space, he doesn’t lack discipline in the run game but he is too explosive off the jump sometimes and runs himself out of the play.

His rush reminds me somewhat of... and so far this doesn’t look good but I stand by my claim that he had excellent college tape... tyus bowser. Exceptional athlete as a rusher, but needs a lot of work on the hands